Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Hands On: Apple Music (iOS, OS X, Windows)

Hands On: Apple Music (iOS, OS X, Windows)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 30, 2015, 04:25 PM

Just spotted on one of our reviewers' Facebook page: a music fan has written "so long Spotify, it was good while it lasted." Time will tell -- specifically three months of time, as that's how long Apple's giving for free -- but we're already impressed with Apple Music. Not so impressed, however, with the expected problem of it being difficult to download the necessary updates while everyone else in the world was trying to grab them too. Actively disappointed with the unexpected issues facing some unknown number of iTunes Match users, as well. Yet in terms of what Apple Music does, and what it's like, we actually are impressed.

Right now we're listening to "Modern Love" on our iPhones having said "hey, Siri, play the Let's Dance album by David Bowie." That's rather cool. Sometimes Siri says righto, got that, here you are, and shows that it's playing what you asked for -- but you don't hear it. That doesn't happen all the time, and we can't see a pattern, nor reliably reproduce it. It's obviously a slight pain, but more annoying is that there's also always an Open Music button, and that does not take you to the track or artist as you'd expect.

Instead, it opens the Music app, and shows you the last screen you were looking at. Navigating back and forth through Apple Music could be easier: you find something you're interested in, and then when you nip off to find something else and change your mind, you end up having to search anew.

"Hey, Siri, play 'The Valley Road' by Bruce Hornsby and the Range." One day we will get used to this Star Trek-like feature, but it won't be today. This is a new toy, and you find yourself stretching your music memory to dig out tracks you haven't got but suspect Apple Music will. "Hey, Siri, play music by the Kids from Fame."

We didn't say we had taste. Well, we didn't say we had your taste.

Does it help our street cred that we've moved on to the Cocteau Twins? Now Meredith Brooks? Howard Jones? "Hey, Siri, play some 70s music." Maybe we should've amended that to "play some 70s music we've ever heard of." Now a general request for Cyndi Lauper has turned up a really gorgeous little-known track called "Sally's Pigeons." This is a deep search, and it's done quickly, it's done well, and it's done across a gigantic music collection.

You have to worry for the future and how new acts will ever make it when we don't have a way to find them -- except, hang on, there is Beats 1. The 24-hour music station began about one hour after the new Apple Music service started, and it's good if you like that sort of thing. Some of us are in the UK, where we have heard of Zane Lowe, we just weren't fussed about him: he's a DJ. It's going to interest me more when Beats 1 has musicians and artists presenting the shows but, to be fair, there are brilliant artists who are dreadful radio hosts.

Lowe talks like he's standing up, bouncing around, and his excitement about the station being live is more appealing than his initial music is. That's an unfair and very easy comment to make, because the first radio station we tuned into on Apple Music was the BBC World Service, so there's a chance we're not the Beats 1's target audience here.

Radio is hard, though. Radio is really hard. If Lowe and the others can pull this off, they will make a deeply personal connection to listeners, and that is something Spotify hasn't got. Plenty of radio stations have it, but none have it worldwide, and that's what Apple is in with a chance of pulling off.

With all respect to the doubtlessly many, many people needed to get Beats 1 running, it does all come down to Lowe and fellow presenters Ebro Darden and Julie Adenuga, because it has to. Music radio has to be personal on both ends, chosen and presented by individuals, and aimed at the individual listening. Beats 1 has a chance, and very good luck to it.

We'd just like to see a Beats 2 that did the same for spoken word. Imagine an NPR or a BBC that isn't so constrained by finances. Apple could do that, and it would be stunningly difficult to do right, but stunningly gorgeous if they do. It's both an impressive and a rather sad fact that right now there isn't any other company that could do Beats 1, let alone our fancied Beats 2.

You shouldn't bet against there being a Samsung Music next Tuesday, but you shouldn't get excited about the prospect either. We're talking as if Apple Music is the only contender in town, and we're a bit shocked to hear ourselves. We've used Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, some of us have used Beats Music, many of us have used the old iTunes Radio, yet this feels new. We're less than a day into it, we're barely a few hours into it, and we realize we're seeing Apple Music as the one to beat.

It wasn't like that immediately. It took a few minutes. Our very first experience in setting it up on our iPhones and iPads was confusing. There's a point in the setup where you're told that since you already have music on your device, you can choose to merge that with Apple Music, or replace it all with the new service. There's no third option, no we'll-think-about-it-and-get-back-to-you-later. In a very un-Apple way, it's both unclear and has no way out. We went for merge, and suspect it was the right choice, but we don't know.

We also don't know why we got some errors, saying we couldn't have music on our other devices and couldn't save music for offline listening, because we hadn't set up iCloud Music. Isn't that what we were just doing?

"Hey, Siri, play music by Suzanne Vega." Honestly, we don't even want to get used to this, it is far too much fun.

It is a little less fun setting up what music we like. You get a bouncy series of circles that initially have broad genres like country, metal and so on. Tap once on something you like, tap twice if you love it, tap and hold if you never want to hear that stuff ever again, thank you. Then you get artists, and you do the same thing: tap on ones you like from a sample selection, and it will refine what the service will offer you. Yet it really wants you to have liked or loved three artists, and we went through page after page thinking well, we liked that hit they had once, is that enough?

Eventually we made a mistake, and said we hate Kate Bush. Any music service worth its salt and any human being in the world should know that is a mistake, but we had to hit Reset to fix it -- and that reset all our selections.

The result of all this selecting and then re-selecting was that on our iPhones we have a "For You" section which had a few sample artists. Just a few: we're not clear why only the barest handful are there. We have a Mary Chapin Carpenter sampler in our selection too, and she's a fine artist, we're happy with that, but her name didn't even appear in the sample list, so we're not clear why we got her instead of, say, Kate Bush.

We're far from unhappy with having her in our library -- go on, ask Siri to "play 'He Thinks He'll Keep Her' by Mary Chapin Carpenter" -- but it means we went off randomly exploring more than digging into what Apple Music thinks we like.

That's perhaps especially so because of Connect, the feature that has you following artists. We're apparently following 103 of them, which was news to us, but you can understand setting up a few to get the idea going, and you can understand anyone being overzealous. However, go into the Connect section, and we were shown three artists that we do quite like, but are not especially giant fans of -- and those three are not ones we're following. Apple Music adds artists that you've asked for, as well, which means we soon had Dar Williams on our Follow list, but we couldn't get into any section to see if she'd done something. Connect doesn't always seem connected to artist pages.

Yet speaking of Williams, Apple Music includes a video of hers we've been trying to find for ages. It's oddly cropped at the start, the video kicks in just a frame and a beat late, but it was a treat to see it.

All exploring is a treat when you ask for it, and go hunting. It's a little less so when you're typing, or at least it is on the iPhone 5. The layout of album art, play/pause and so on is familiar from all the other streaming services, but sometimes the buttons are bit small. When it's played a few tracks, we can't always find the current song on the album's listing, and that's perplexing.

There's a lot that is perplexing, and at first we had the feeling that this was our old iTunes music app with some bits of iTunes Radio in it. It took a while to appreciate just how broad this is, and also how unlike iTunes Radio and unlike the free version of Spotify it is; you can play any track the service has (almost), and you can play albums in order.

Once we got that, and once we had rather surrendered to Apple Music, we liked it. We'd say love, but come on, the paint's still wet, let's take this affair a little slow for a time: we've got three months of dating before we have to make a commitment.

Apple Music requires iOS 8.4 or OS X 10.10.4, and is free for three months. Thereafter it will be $10 per month for individuals, or $15 month for a family of up to six people (each with their own entirely separate account, that's nice). What are the odds that family pack will sell the best? Probably about the same odds that we're going to see rivals doing the same thing as soon as they can.

Who is Apple Music for:
So far, just about everybody. It works, and it works well bar some minor first-day issues, so the rest is down to your liking the music, which is rather up to you.

Who is Apple Music not for:
Very tricky. There will be more obscure tracks you can't get -- and no Beatles -- and that is important. If you only ever listen to vinyl, you're not even reading this far. Or if any music subscription just isn't worth it to you, then this one won't be either.

-- William Gallagher (@WGallagher)

Readers: do you have an app that you'd like to see us review? Developers: do you want us to take a look at your app? Send your suggestions to our Tips email.

GaryDeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2015, 04:53 PM

I know you can't wait to read my thoughts on this, so here goes.
1) It appears Apple Music will be a hit, just be shear market force. The only questions will be: a) what will the other sources offer to attract us away, and b) what other services will die by not begin able to compete.

2) I am not Apple's target market, I am sure. My I don't want to listen to someone talking over my music. I listen to talk, and I listen to music. Just not mashed together.

3) I am cheap. If Pandora / Spotify / Rdio / Google / WhomeverSung can offer a reasonably similar service, and my only cost is a few ads, I am happy to suffer thru the view ads to not pay $120 per year. That being said, I am wondering if Apple, intentional or not, is sparking the end of the ad-supported model for ... well, everything. They are taking ads out of News with Ad blocker. They are taking ads out of streaming music and videos already, but forcing a subscription or a pay-per-download model. I simply worry for the 1/3 or more of our country that are in middle or lower class income brackets that simply can't afford a $120 annual subscription for music AND a couple of on-demand TV channels for $250 per year. What's next, no more Ad-support, free Apps?

I hope the industry is able to keep ad-support media alive. Choice is good for everyone.

GaryDeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2015, 04:59 PM

God I can't type. I blame your tiny comment boxes. Corrections:

what other services will die by not begin able to compete.
should be:
what other services will die by not being able to compete.

to suffer thru the view ads to not pay
should be
to suffer thru a few ads to not pay

but forcing a subscription or a pay-per-download model.
should be:
by forcing subscription and/or pay-per-download models.

PJL500
Jun 30, 2015, 05:19 PM

Not for me either... very MOR corporate approach. It will be huge.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2015, 07:51 PM

GaryDeezy and PJL500: perhaps Beats 1 isn't your cup of tea (I enjoy most of it but I too am a bit past their target demographic), but that doesn't mean you don't have whatever you like available to you. There are genre radio stations that cover many other types of music, and you can (still) create your own custom stations tailored to your taste based on songs or artists you add to it (plus similar suggestions generated by iTunes), all for free.

The paid streaming service is also of course entirely optional, and comes with a three month free trial ... if you're worried about "low and middle income Americans," you might want to take a closer look at Spotify's demographic -- these folks are already paying $10 a month and quite happily -- nearly every song ever, on demand, for $10? It's an almost-criminal bargain!

Gary, you'll be very pleased to know that the genre radio stations and custom radio stations are free BECAUSE they periodically have ads.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2015, 07:56 PM

PS. During the free trial, you know what's fun? Calling up Siri and saying something like "play me some Dean Martin" or "play 'Sketches of Spain' by Miles Davis" ... I grew up in the New Wave era but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy music that pre-dates me, and it's all right there.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules