Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Ethernet across rooms

Ethernet across rooms
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 08:58 PM

Hey guys,

I have a Mac mini and PS2 in one room and a router in another. I'd like to connect both of the former to the latter, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth running a wired connection between them or going wireless. If I were to run a cable, how would I go about this? Could I just run one Ethernet cable through and then split it at the other end? If so, what would I need to split the cables?

And more importantly, would I be splitting the bandwidth in half for both devices? Would I have to pass two Ethernet cables to get full bandwidth for both devices, or is this not the case (after all the hub is connected via one cable from the wall, modem, etc.)?

Otherwise, my other option seems to be Airport for the Mac mini and an Ethernet bridge for the PS2. Any recommendations for an Ethernet bridge or any other suggestions? I'm hoping for something around $50 or less.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Jun 21, 2007 at 09:14 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 09:21 PM

Ethernet is point to point. So you can't just split it without a router/switch/hub.
If those are the only 2 machines on the router you could move the router other wise you need to run 1 wire for each. CAT5e or CAT6 if your router/switch/hub is Gigabit. A quik googe on somthing like "ethernet wiring howto" should do you.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 09:51 PM

Ethernet cable specs are really odd, but since it works I guess you can't argue! You can't mess with splitting cables. The gauge of the wire, the thickness of the insulation, the number of twists per inch, even the air space inside the jacket... they have all been worked out by people smarter than you and I. BLAZE is right, the easiest one cable route is to put the router in the same room as the two devices.
Overall, I vote for wireless. That way you have no physical mess, your friends can hop on with their laptops and when you get your Wii you won't have to start all over.

Cold Warrior
Jun 21, 2007, 10:15 PM

There's another option: networking through the power outlets.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 03:48 AM

The Mac mini has Airport, but the PS2 does not. I wanted to run a line to the Mac mini for the superior velocity, but the primary concern was the PS2, which has no wireless option. However, it occurred to me that I could do Internet sharing with the Mac mini to the PS2, and I was somewhat surprised to see it work flawlessly on the first try. That said, I think I'll just stick with that setup for now, as it seems to work well.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Oh, and Hi, Sherman. ;-)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2007, 07:37 AM

What's wrong with just getting an inexpensive switch and putting it in the room with the two computers? Connect both to the switch and use ONE ethernet cable to go to the other room. Powerline networking is another good option, but it's hard to find the equipment around where I am. Your mileage may vary in terms of finding other solutions, but I'd go with a single ethernet cable to the router and a switch in the room with the two computers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 01:19 PM

Or a wireless router that supports bridge mode.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Or a wireless router that supports bridge mode.
Whichever one is less expensive would be a good choice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What's wrong with just getting an inexpensive switch and putting it in the room with the two computers?
Thats not a bad idea. However, it would take more time, trouble and money than my current solution.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Whichever one is less expensive would be a good choice.
It turns out that the Mac mini acting as an Ethernet bridge is the less expensive solution. All I need is a short, extra Ethernet cable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules