Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Stuck iOS 7 app updates

Stuck iOS 7 app updates
ibook_steve
Oct 8, 2013, 10:39 AM

My App Store app appears to be stuck. I've continued doing manual app updates, and it has had a badge of "2" for the past few days, but going to the "Updates" section shows just an empty page (besides the "Purchased" button at the top). I've tried force quitting, power cycling, and logging out and back in. I've also tried installing a free app from the store to "un-stick" it, but that didn't work either. I haven't gotten any updates for other apps for the past few days because of this. Anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

P
Oct 9, 2013, 04:22 AM

I have that too. Apparently it is because you have updates that require iOS 7 while you are still on iOS 6. They show up as available updates, but when you go to get them, the App Store app verifies if you can download them or not. It realizes that you can't, so the update page is empty.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ibook_steve  (op)
Oct 9, 2013, 02:30 PM

No, I'm already updated to iOS 7 and had already done successful updates in iOS 7, so I don't think that was the issue.

In any case, I power cycled the phone a few more times and it finally cleared the stuck updates. I'm not sure what happened, but I hope it doesn't happen again.

Steve

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2013, 03:18 PM

I have found that some apps start to download and get stuck and restarting the iphone doesn't do anything. What I have found to finish the downloads is to go to the app and try to run it. When you try to start it, the download bar fills and finishes the download, at which point, the updated app starts.

ibook_steve  (op)
Oct 9, 2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jdonahoe View Post
I have found that some apps start to download and get stuck and restarting the iphone doesn't do anything. What I have found to finish the downloads is to go to the app and try to run it. When you try to start it, the download bar fills and finishes the download, at which point, the updated app starts.
I tried that too. When I tapped the stuck app, its name would change to "Waiting..." but nothing else would happen.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2013, 09:36 PM

I have "unstuck" some downloads by clicking on them, changing them to "waiting" and then again, which changed them to "Paused," and finally clicking again and getting the little clock/progress ring.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules