Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Arabic Language Kit & OS9.1 update...

Arabic Language Kit & OS9.1 update...
adsourceone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 02:29 AM

I have a G3 running MacOS 9 with the Arabic Language Kit installed. As a preface to installing the OS 9.1 upgrade, and in view of the reported problems with this undate and language kits, I have removed all the components of the Arabic language kit. The problem is that when I restart the machine I seem to have lost the english and all text on the desktop is in Arabic. Kind of weird. I have english and Arabic, I remove the arabic and I am left with...Arabic. What gives?
Is there any way to return my machine to an "English" only state? (I would prefer this option as I don't read Arabic but the machine was previously owned by an Arabic Art Director..and yes, I have tried the uninstall function from my OS9CD to no avail..in fact it tells me that there are no language kits to uninstall!!!)
Or should I just go ahead and install the 9.1 update in spite of the Arabic language kit?
And Oh yes, to make matters even more confusing, the only way to get my system back to English is to reinstall the Arabic language kit!
Any assistance will be very much appreciated.

Chuck "Lost in the desert" Mora

Jan 30, 2001, 11:24 AM

You must still have Arabic components, at least the fonts. Go to the Appearance Control Panel and see if you can change the System and Views fonts to a non-Arabic one. Also you can go to the Fonts file in the System folder and try to remove Arabic fonts. Good luck!

[email protected]

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2001, 12:08 PM

Do a clean install, and you'll have no worries.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Forum Links
Forum Rules