Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DVD screnn captures

DVD screnn captures
abkondrat
Nov 17, 1999, 10:40 PM

I've tried to make screen captures of the DVD player, but it always appears as a green screen. Anyone know how to make the caps?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 1999, 04:53 AM

As far as I know it is not possible, because the DVD image is never in the same region of the video RAM as the rest of the picture, which is what the screen capture reads and saves.

tooki

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 1999, 04:56 PM

Because of copyright issues, there won't be any fixes for it either.

drewman

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 1999, 07:48 PM

What a hardware DVD decoder does on the Mac: It simply does a video overlay where every pixel of a given color (in this case green-brownish) is replaced by the actual video image. The DVD hardware knows the color and the rectangle (position, size) to display the video image. As far as the graphic adapter is concerned, there is only a filled rectangle, and that's what you get with the screenshot. The video image never actually makes it into the graphics or main memory that is accessible.

What is yet to be checked out is the situation with software decoders like the new iMac.

greg

disectamac
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 1999, 11:51 PM

strange but I downloaded 3 different screen capture apps from download dot com....I can't remember which one was the one that did it while I was capturing screen because I was doing it in a rush....but....I ran a DVD in a small window on my desktop...I took the picture using command + 7 which i designated..and it displayed the actual picture from the DVD movie in the picture I took...then when I switched to the screen capture software to save the image it disapeared from the picture I took in about 5 seconds or so....before I could save the file or convert it to a different format.....no I'm not on drugs......this actually happened.
I'll try it again and post results.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 1999, 12:58 PM

Th reason this happends is kinda cool. When you took a screenshot, it actually grabbed the green underpinnings of the dvd (the os lays down the green backround, and the dvd displays pixels on top of it, bypassing the OS entirly) So what ended up happening is that you opened the screenshot, with the dvd still in the drive, so it just refrenced the disk. If this makes any sense id be superised. (BTW, this also works with apple's performa tv system too)

------------------
-See Yea!

JoshFofer
Dec 10, 1999, 10:35 AM

FWIW, I have a Sawtooth G4/450 with the software decodin' DVD, and I've found the same limitations. I tried the trick of getting the DVD playback to replace the desktop picture of my Mac, but that didn't work either -- all I'd see was one frame, the frame that appeared just as I switched apps. I presume the software decoder needs a lot of horsepower, and needs to be the frontmost application. Methinks that DVD Player 2.0b2 still needs a lot of work to compare to the Yikes' harware decoding. Sort of a shame that customers who spent more for a "newer" machine actually got less of a DVD viewing experience.

My $0.02,

Josh

Forum Links
Forum Rules