Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4 (Official Thread)

iPhone 4 (Official Thread) (Page 5)
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2010, 09:29 AM

At one point, Apple wasn't accepting cash for the iPad in the US, you needed a credit card with a US address. Who knows what Apple might require? A Canadian credit card?
Not at all unlikely. When I had my iPhone stolen in the UK last month, I went into an Apple Store* to see if unlocked iPhones were available in the UK at all. They weren’t—and moreover, you had to have UK identification, a UK address, and a UK credit card to buy one. I guess it’s probably the same here, ’cause they took down lots of my personal info (SSN, address, etc.) when I bought mine here in Denmark, too.

Even if they’re selling them unlocked in Canada, I’d expect them to require proof of residence/citizenship and a Canadian credit card to actually buy one.

* The one on Regent Street. On the day that also happened to be the iPad launch day. Bad, bad idea.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Will Apple even take that much cash at the store? Credit card.
They took cash for the 13" MBP I bought last year. It's the only time I've paid with cash at an Apple store but they didn't seem to mind.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 10:16 AM

MacWorld UK is reporting that Canada, UK, France and Germany will offer unlocked iPhones. They will be sold without a micro-SIM (BYOS--bring your own SIM.)

Apple selling unlocked iPhone in Europe, Canada - iPod/iPhone - Macworld UK

Oisin: thanks for the heads-up about Apple's buying requirements at the Regent Str. Apple Store.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
roll your own
Cut My Sim
They charge your credit card immediately. Shouldn't charge until the item purchased has shipped. This is a cheap trick.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 01:07 PM

It says that will happen right on the front page.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2010, 04:31 PM

This is a plus, if true: iPhone 4 has 512MB of RAM!

iPhone 4 Confirmed to Have 512MB of RAM (Twice the iPad and 3GS) - Mac Rumors
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
This is a plus, if true: iPhone 4 has 512MB of RAM!

iPhone 4 Confirmed to Have 512MB of RAM (Twice the iPad and 3GS) - Mac Rumors
The line about 128mb of ram not being enough for multitasking made me lol. My first mac (7100/66) had 8mb of ram and was plenty capable at multitasking. 128mb of ram is enough to load half of the applications I have on my iphone.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Not at all unlikely. When I had my iPhone stolen in the UK last month, I went into an Apple Store* to see if unlocked iPhones were available in the UK at all. They weren’t—and moreover, you had to have UK identification, a UK address, and a UK credit card to buy one. I guess it’s probably the same here, ’cause they took down lots of my personal info (SSN, address, etc.) when I bought mine here in Denmark, too.

Even if they’re selling them unlocked in Canada, I’d expect them to require proof of residence/citizenship and a Canadian credit card to actually buy one.

* The one on Regent Street. On the day that also happened to be the iPad launch day. Bad, bad idea.
Yup. Had a few friends from the UK over here last year during the 3GS launch. They went about a week after it'd launched and tried to buy some, but they had to have US address, CC#, and ID. I'm fairly sure Apple will only sell you an iPhone in the country you live, much like how the iTunes store et al work.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
The line about 128mb of ram not being enough for multitasking made me lol. My first mac (7100/66) had 8mb of ram and was plenty capable at multitasking. 128mb of ram is enough to load half of the applications I have on my iphone.
I almost didn't believe you about your 7100 only coming stock with 8 MB, but you're right it did. That's amazing. You know that means that your Power Mac in 1994 only came with 6 more megs than my family's LC did back in 1991? It's amazing how expensive RAM was in the early to mid 1990s and how cheap it is today.

And I would also assume that most iOS applications don't have huge RAM requirements.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I almost didn't believe you about your 7100 only coming stock with 8 MB, but you're right it did. That's amazing. You know that means that your Power Mac in 1994 only came with 6 more megs than my family's LC did back in 1991? It's amazing how expensive RAM was in the early to mid 1990s and how cheap it is today.

And I would also assume that most iOS applications don't have huge RAM requirements.
To be fair I did eventually upgrade it to 40mb (and I think I upgraded the video ram a few mb), but I never upgraded the stock 250mb scsi HD or anything else.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

Our first home computer was an IBM portable (in the sense that a portaloo, for example, is portable) from 1988 or 1989. That had 4 MB of RAM, I think 20 MB of hard drive, 16 MHz, and a P3 monochrome (black-orange) screen. Oh yeah baby!

It wasn’t really till around ’98 or ’99 that RAM specs really took off and started shooting through the roof, was it? Somewhere around there?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 07:58 AM

Our first home computer was an IBM portable (in the sense that a portaloo, for example, is portable) from 1988 or 1989. That had 4 MB of RAM, I think 20 MB of hard drive, 16 MHz, and a P3 monochrome (black-orange) screen. Oh yeah baby!

It wasn’t really till around ’98 or ’99 that RAM specs really took off and started shooting through the roof, was it? Somewhere around there?
My first computer was a Tandy 1000, which only had 128k of RAM. Radioshack even has the specs on their support site still (crazy): Tandy 1000 250-1000 Specifications

In the mid-90s it was the Pentiums that really got the specs moving. I remember getting a Pentium 200MMX in 1996 and the Pentium 2s coming out so soon after that.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 08:07 AM

My first computer was a VIC-20, I think it had only 3k, which is less than the size of an email today. It still amazes how something like the iPhone can be magnitudes greater in power.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 10:17 AM

The next family computer was a beige G3 purchased in the summer of 97 that came stock with 64mb. Then I got my MDD in August 2002 with 256mb stock. Of course the ibook G4 I got summer 2005 also had 256mb stock.

I can't remember how much ram my parents' imac G5 came with, but it wasn't long before I maxed it out. It wasn't until the MBP I got last June which had 2gb of ram that I thought it came with enough. Of course it got upgraded to 4gb before I ever turned it on.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2010, 12:40 AM

I just got home tonight to find that my iphone is already prepared for shipment!? Maybe a few phones will sneak through the cracks. Maybe one or two lucky people will get to activate their phones before the 24th and avoid the clusterf*** of the 600,000+ other people trying to activate their phones simultaneously.

Then again, maybe ATT has learned from its mistakes in the past and is actually prepared for the onslaught that will undoubtedly take place on June 24th. I dare to dream...though, I'm sure it'll be more of a nightmare -- a long, sweaty, expletive-ridden nightmare.

-Q-
Jun 19, 2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by david33 View Post
I just got home tonight to find that my iphone is already prepared for shipment!? Maybe a few phones will sneak through the cracks. Maybe one or two lucky people will get to activate their phones before the 24th and avoid the clusterf*** of the 600,000+ other people trying to activate their phones simultaneously.
One can dream, although it's not likely. Like the iPads, they'll be shipped early and then held at a FedEx facility until the official release date comes. And then we can all experience the nightmare of AT&T activation together!

Cold Warrior
Jun 19, 2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
One can dream, although it's not likely. Like the iPads, they'll be shipped early and then held at a FedEx facility until the official release date comes. And then we can all experience the nightmare of AT&T activation together!
I'm dreading this. Preorders maxed out, att servers crashed. Now those same jokers are expected to activate them.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2010, 01:19 PM

Yeah, don't forgot the hordes of in-store pickups and walk-ins to add to the mix.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2010, 01:40 PM

Has anyone read about this guy? He's already camping outside of an Apple Store in Dallas, TX. When I looked at the photo I thought to myself...does he know he parked his tent next to a fire hydrant?

Then I said, WTF? He's nuts! I'm glad mine is being shipped to me.

Anyway, here's the article and pic....

iPhone 4 camper

Fame calls local man in line for new phone
12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, June 19, 2010

By VICTOR GODINEZ
Justin Wagoner didn't plan on becoming an Internet celebrity.

But the Dallas native – who likely became the first person in America to line up for the new iPhone 4 when he pitched his tent Wednesday evening – is definitely enjoying it.

"I'm getting good coverage," the 25-year-old said Friday with obvious delight from his perch on the sidewalk outside the Apple store on Knox Street.

"If you follow the news, you know who I am."

But with the new phone not going on sale until next Thursday, Wagoner's campout also will be grueling as he endures daytime temperatures hovering around 100 degrees each day until launch.

"The heat is just killing me," he admitted.

Wagoner might be the first person in the country to line up for the launch, but he's certainly not alone in his fervent anticipation of the new iPhone.

A preorder program on Monday was so popular it crashed Dallas-based AT&T Inc.'s website and led to all sorts of online account glitches (Wagoner preordered his at the Apple store). AT&T then suspended its preorder campaign.

Apple later said it took a record 600,000 preorders that day, and analysts estimate Apple could sell as many as 9.5 million units by the end of June.

Wagoner, who lives in East Dallas, said he's camped out for each new iPhone launch the last two years.

But those were mere overnight affairs.

For his week-plus siege, Wagoner packed heavy.

He arrived at the store armed with, among other things, a tent, sleeping bag, ice chest, changes of clothes, magazines, playing cards, a sketch pad and, of course, his iPhone.

He charges his gadgets during the day at the Apple store, occasionally sitting in the display window to wave at passers-by.

Wagoner said the employees keep an eye on his gear whenever he needs to use the bathroom or dip in to a nearby restaurant for a quick meal.

"The Apple staff has been very generous," said Wagoner, who has a mild disability and is not employed. "They treat me basically like a king."

Bedtime is around 2 a.m., when the bars close and the noise at his busy sidewalk corner finally subsides.

He said he's excited about the new technology in the iPhone 4, such as a better camera and the ability to shoot high-definition video, and is getting the 16-gigabyte model for $199.

Mostly, though, he's just having fun, answering questions from reporters, pedestrians and curious gawkers online, even though he knows a lot of critics are using words like "insane" and "crazy" to describe his epic wait.

And it likely won't be long before other eager buyers join Wagoner at his store and other Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, RadioShack and Walmart stores around the country to wait for the new iPhone.

But Wagoner said this might be enough fun to last him for a while.

"Three is a charm," he said. "I might give it a break next year."

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2010, 09:59 AM

Got notification this morning. My iPhone 4 has shipped.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2010, 10:33 AM

If you ordered through ATT, will your iPhone come already activated or what?

Cold Warrior
Jun 20, 2010, 10:47 AM

I'm upgrading from the 3GS to 4 like lots of people, and we'll have to use iTunes to set it up (edit: if choosing at-home setup/activation). It'll connect within iTunes to ATT with steps to move the phone # from the old iphone to the new one.

When my brother got his 3GS new from ATT on Christmas, he had it shipped for home activation, and he used iTunes to activate it and set it up for service.

I don't see any reason to expect it to work differently, whether one is a new customer/new line or an upgrade.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 20, 2010, 11:09 AM

Hi all, I have an ip4 on the way. I'll be moving from an ip3, how do I get my app data from my ip3 to ip4?

Cold Warrior
Jun 20, 2010, 11:11 AM

connect iPhone 3 and backup using iTunes.

Use iTunes to activate and set up your iPhone 4.

Use iTunes to restore (from your backup) onto your iPhone 4. This should dump apps, settings, etc., onto your new iPhone but of course preserve system software and firmware.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 20, 2010, 11:20 AM

I see, so using the backup is the only way. That's what I figured. That means I'll just clean up my ip3 before I do this. I want to start really clean on the ip4 - remove a ton of apps. So I'll just do that first on the ip3 and backup.

Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Jun 20, 2010, 11:28 AM

I've been doing some cleanup this morning too. Really just app pruning, syncing, updating between two iPhones with slightly different user needs. Also signed up for the mobileme 60-day trial, mostly to try out find my iphone for 2 iphones on one individual mobileme account (which works just fine, btw).

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 07:32 PM

Just as a tip to Cold Warrior, if you know after a month or so that you like mobile me, it can be found much cheaper than Apple's $99 online. I got it one year for less than $60 but you can usually find it for $69 or $70. Makes the pill a little easier to swallow and it does have some usefulness in it's own right .... especially for Mac users.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2010, 07:54 PM

Yes, it's usually between $60-70 on Amazon.

Cold Warrior
Jun 20, 2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
Just as a tip to Cold Warrior, if you know after a month or so that you like mobile me, it can be found much cheaper than Apple's $99 online. I got it one year for less than $60 but you can usually find it for $69 or $70. Makes the pill a little easier to swallow and it does have some usefulness in it's own right .... especially for Mac users.
Good to know, thanks.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2010, 08:47 PM

So will iOS4 support Bluetooth file transfer? Dunno if it was mentioned or not.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
So will iOS4 support Bluetooth file transfer? Dunno if it was mentioned or not.
No.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No.
Well thats disappointing.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 09:29 PM

Well thats disappointing.
Only if you had expectations for it to show up, which you shouldn't have had.

Hodog16
Jun 20, 2010, 09:33 PM

Pre-ordered through AT&T in hopes of replacing my 1st gen iPhone. So far so good.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Only if you had expectations for it to show up, which you shouldn't have had.
I did, thats why I was disappointed

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2010, 09:44 PM

Buying an iPhone4 @ Best Buy? Here's some info;

I have $100 of Gift Cards from Best Buy so Im gonna get the iPhone there. Anyone else going to Best Buy?

Best Buy's iPhone 4 launch manual leaked? -- Engadget

Like the iPad launch guide before it, Best Buy's iPhone 4 launch plan has just made its wily way into our collective lap, replete with loads of details on how your favorite blue-shirted electronics salespersons are going to be spending their Thursday morning. While we've yet to see any hot scoops inside its two dozen pages (aside from some confusing, contradictory gibberish about whether Best Buy will have iPhones at launch at all) we have learned that stores will open up previously suspended preorders on launch day, accepting reservation fees for devices that customers can pick up at a later date. What we're not seeing here is anything about specific number of units, but there are various lines that caution against expecting much in the way of non-reserved phones -- should there be any, the guide advises first come first serve once the store opens. In other words, it's business as usual: call ahead and show up early. See some choice quotes from the playbook after the break.

"Unlike the 3G launch, Best Buy Mobile will be launching the iPhone 4 on launch day..." (page 2)
"Note: iPhone 4 devices will not be available on launch day. Once Apple confirms availability, we will communicate accordingly on Employee News." (page 3)
"As of June 16, pre-sales for iPhone 4 have been suspended. No additional pre-sales for customers or employees are allowed at this time." (page 2)
"If a customer would like to reserve an iPhone 4, stores may ring a pre-sale transaction before store hours so the customer does not need to wait in line... pre-sales may only be tendered until 11 a.m. local time." (page 11)
"Customer pays $50 in-store prior to launch date and receives a $50 Best Buy gift card... Customer sets an appointment with the Best Buy Mobile employee. The customer can then return to the store after the launch date to fulfill his or her appointment and pick up the handset... the $50 gift card can be used as partial payment, but doesn't have to be." (page 9)
"In the event the store has inventory available that has not been previously pre-sold, be sure not to sell these units prior to store open. Since we are not advertising an early open, any available inventory must be made available to customers on a first come first serve basis after normal store hours. If necessary use launch day tickets." (page 11)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Well, back in 2010, the 3G runs iOS 4 like crap. If you can believe it, I actually get skipping in music when trying to multitask to another app. (Yes, the 3G can multitask... when using apps like the iPod, etc. That's been true since launch.)

Personally, I'd forego iOS 4 on the 3G, at least until we get some performance and music playback updates in iOS 4.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2010, 12:08 PM

Buying an iPhone4 @ Best Buy? Here's some info;

I have $100 of Gift Cards from Best Buy so Im gonna get the iPhone there. Anyone else going to Best Buy?
I pre-ordered from Best Buy, just waiting for them to call me to set up an appointment.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, back in 2010, the 3G runs iOS 4 like crap. If you can believe it, I actually get skipping in music when trying to multitask to another app. (Yes, the 3G can multitask... when using apps like the iPod, etc. That's been true since launch.)

Personally, I'd forego iOS 4 on the 3G, at least until we get some performance and music playback updates in iOS 4.
But the 3G's "multitasking" capabilities haven't changed at all under 4.0.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
But the 3G's "multitasking" capabilities haven't changed at all under 4.0.
No, but the OS's system load probably has.

Ryanhdd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2010, 01:05 PM

Its up dl it now!!

Cold Warrior
Jun 22, 2010, 08:17 AM

I got an email just after midnight saying my iPhone 4 is now scheduled for the 23rd, one day earlier than the official date of the 24th. Anyone else?
Originally Posted by Apple Store
Dear Apple Store Customer,

You recently received a Shipment Notification email from Apple advising you that your iPhone has shipped.

This email is to confirm that your delivery will occur on June 23rd. Although Apple and FedEx tracking information may currently indicate a later date, you can check the FedEx website the morning of the June 23rd to track your package to your doorstep.

In the event that you will not be available to accept delivery on June 23rd, it may be more convenient to use our pre-sign delivery option by visiting our Order Status website at Apple Order Status.

Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2010, 08:24 AM

Perhaps a move to try to avoid a complete server-breakdown from activation-stampedes: spread it out over two days.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 08:30 AM

I got an email just after midnight saying my iPhone 4 is now scheduled for the 23rd, one day earlier than the official date of the 24th. Anyone else?
Reports are that all Apple preorders are getting that message.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 09:23 AM

My fedex tracker still shows the 24th. Haven't seen the email from apple either.

It was picked up on June 19, details for that row says it was "received after fedex cutoff"?

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010, 10:09 AM

Here's the email I received this morning:

"Dear Apple Store Customer,

You recently received a Shipment Notification email from Apple advising you that your iPhone has shipped.

This email is to confirm that your delivery will occur on June 23rd. Although Apple and FedEx tracking information may currently indicate a later date, you can check the FedEx website the morning of the June 23rd to track your package to your doorstep.

In the event that you will not be available to accept delivery on June 23rd, it may be more convenient to use our pre-sign delivery option by visiting our Order Status website.

Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team"

Cold Warrior
Jun 22, 2010, 10:16 AM

Perhaps a move to try to avoid a complete server-breakdown from activation-stampedes: spread it out over two days.
A good decision on Apple's part.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2010, 10:46 AM

Yes! I checked after reading your post and I also have the email from Apple saying delivery will be on the 23rd.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 09:40 PM

Just wandered by gizmodo for the first time in a month or so to see how they were doing with their iPhone 4 review. Oh wait.

Seriously though, someone post their tear filled post when they realize how they messed up.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 01:39 AM

Yeah, they're basically blacklisted from Apple coverage forever. And you thought ThinkSecret was bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules