Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help me choose my next car to restore.

Help me choose my next car to restore. (Page 2)
JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2005, 03:50 AM

After just walking the last 4 miles to my house from work tonite
I'll make you a sweet deal on a '92 Subaru Wagon that just died
for absolutley no reason.
8 hour shift on a dead run and then a long walk.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Oct 17, 2005, 05:21 AM

You know you wanna do a volvo...
Cmon you could go do one of those 242 (two door) Turbos.

Totally a sleeper
or you could put a small block in it..

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 06:23 PM

you could restore a lotus, if you can find one.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2005, 06:40 PM

Meh.
Meh. Meh. Meh. Meh.

Go on, get the Ultima.

Build it yourself...
Chicks look at it even when it's parked next to a Ferrari...
231 MPH...
0-60 in 2.7 seconds...
0-100 faster than a McLaren F1...
World record for 0-100-0...
World record for skid pan...
...You can fit your weekly shopping in it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 17, 2005, 06:53 PM

Honda CRX

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 17, 2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by OpenStep
Honda CRX
Neat cars. I got to ride in a really clean turbo'd version a few weeks back. It was fast.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2005, 08:13 PM

I'm not sure what you like, but a 4th Generation Toyota Supra would be fun. That would be from 1993-1998.

If that's not good for you maybe a Porsche 928, Nissan 280ZX, Mazda RX-7?

It all depends on what style you like. There are a lot of cars out there but it's best you get what you like.

Personally I'd go for a 65 Mustang Shelby (The real Shelby's not just one with a name on it) or a 68 or 69 Camaro.

My father built a 39 Chevy coupe from the ground up. He did all of the body work and paint.

From this:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/964/front21wf.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/4482/front5hp.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/333/back4tv.jpg

To this:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/6159/39c7tu.jpg

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 17, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Angelo78
I'm not sure what you like, but a 4th Generation Toyota Supra would be fun. That would be from 1993-1998.

If that's not good for you maybe a Porsche 928, Nissan 280ZX, Mazda RX-7?

It all depends on what style you like. There are a lot of cars out there but it's best you get what you like.
NYAR I WATCH NEED FOR SPEED AND READ SUPER STREET!

Personally I'd go for a 65 Mustang Shelby (The real Shelby's not just one with a name on it) or a 68 or 69 Camaro.
NYAR I WILL CHOOSE THE TWO MOST GENERIC MUSCLECARS EVER MADE SINCE EVERYONE HAS ONE AND I AM A LEMMING!

Jesus christ dude. Please realize there are lots of cars other than camaros and mustangs. Let me guess, your favorite 50s car is a 57 chevy bel-air right? Good lord.

- Rob

PS: HE SAID FROM THE 1980s!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 12:23 AM

I'd pick an '86 or '87 Buick Grand National. In nice shape the cars still look great, and they can be blisteringly quick (especially for a late 80's car). 3.8L V6 with a nice turbo.

Another intereseting ride would be a 1991 GMC Syclone, which was just a basic S10 with a a 4.2L V6 with a turbo. They were stupid fast, impractical, and yet kinda cool in a small boxy pickup sorta way.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Railroader
Banned
Oct 18, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O

I'd pick an '86 or '87 Buick Grand National. In nice shape the cars still look great, and they can be blisteringly quick (especially for a late 80's car). 3.8L V6 with a nice turbo.

Another intereseting ride would be a 1991 GMC Syclone, which was just a basic S10 with a a 4.2L V6 with a turbo. They were stupid fast, impractical, and yet kinda cool in a small boxy pickup sorta way.
The GNX was developed and tested at the facility I used to work at. About half the guys that worked on the testing owned one. The other half owned a Buick Regal T-Type, which were the same car but with cheaper insurance premiums. The biggest bummer is they all had chips governing their top speed at 126 MPH. But that can be easily changed

I also remember Road & Track magazine having an article comparing the Cyclone to a Ferrari. They liked the Cyclone better because it had the same accelleration ast the ferrari, but it could carry 4 full sized kegs of beer whereas the Ferrari could only carry a small pony keg.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 08:54 AM

Just so no one will think that stripe along the side is some weird artistic touch, it's a reflection.

The cars were ALL BLACK, as far as I knew.

And this really did add to the car's mystique.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
(Honda CRX) Neat cars. I got to ride in a really clean turbo'd version a few weeks back. It was fast.
This must be some new definition of the word "fast" which I've not heard yet. Are you using it the same way that young hip dudes use the word "bad" when they actually mean "good"?

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
This must be some new definition of the word "fast" which I've not heard yet. Are you using it the same way that young hip dudes use the word "bad" when they actually mean "good"?
CRX= lightweight.

Turbo on a bigger honda engine= more than double the power of a stock CRX engine

That much power in a CRX = fast

It lost traction in 2nd and 3rd gears. It was pretty stupid fast.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 10:26 AM

CRX= lightweight.

Turbo on a bigger honda engine= more than double the power of a stock CRX engine

That much power in a CRX = fast

It lost traction in 2nd and 3rd gears.
Crap tyres. FWD.

It was pretty stupid fast.
No, this is stupid fast.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 10:32 AM

Whatever dude. An ultima is a supercar. A crx is a daily driver. Having a daily that runs 13s on pump gas and still gets over 30mpg is a cool thing.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 10:47 AM

Whatever dude. An ultima is a supercar. A crx is a daily driver. Having a daily that runs 13s on pump gas and still gets over 30mpg is a cool thing.
OK, so the Ultima only does 20 mpg. It runs on "pump gas", easily copes with daily use, fits the shopping and the OP can build one for himself (in fact, if he's in the States he's gonna have to). Makes sense to me if he's looking to build/restore something which is the opposite of the Model T he just did.

finboy
Oct 18, 2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sage
We have an ’86 Subaru BRAT that needs a little TLC. Sure it’s not exactly a pavement-burner, but how can you resist three headlights, dual moonroofs, and an 11-speed gearbox?
Good choice.

Can't think of any domestics worth a **** during that time period, other than maybe some of the full size trucks.

87 Prelude 4WS. Sweet.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
Good choice.

Can't think of any domestics worth a **** during that time period, other than maybe some of the full size trucks.

87 Prelude 4WS. Sweet.
Omni GLHS, Shelby Daytona, spirit R/T, Tsi Conquest, Chevy sprint, etc.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 08:08 PM

Not that you boys should stop your but the differences betwen the two cars is significant enough that the choice to the OP should be clear.

If he has $27K +++ to drop into building a car that is proven to be a good kit build (the right pieces included, machined properly and etc.) that will look sexy/exotic as all hell, CAN BE stupid fast (depends on the engine you drop into it) and brings home the groceries, then the Ultima really is intriguing.

If he has a 'thing' for '80's cars, wants to go for timeless yet retro beauty, is content not to break speed records but wants something to quicken the pulse and produce a few grins, or has less than that to budget for the project, it's probably not the Ultima, and MAY be something like BQ's suggestions.

Or may be more like some of the other's.

BTW, the ConquestTSi, though SOLD by Chrysler Corporation really was a Japanese (Mitsubishi) car.

BTW 2, there were guys who absolutely refused to buy Japanese cars some 20+ Years after WWII.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 08:24 PM

OK, so the Ultima only does 20 mpg. It runs on "pump gas", easily copes with daily use, fits the shopping and the OP can build one for himself (in fact, if he's in the States he's gonna have to). Makes sense to me if he's looking to build/restore something which is the opposite of the Model T he just did.

[img]<snip obvious kit car pix>[/img]
But... it's a kit car. Painfully so.
Kit.
Car.
I new a guy in college who had an insanely fast Mustang II Cobra. Ran low low 13's. But after everything was said and done, it was still a Mustang II.
Shudder.

Once again, repeat after me: Kit Car.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
BTW, the ConquestTSi, though SOLD by Chrysler Corporation really was a Japanese (Mitsubishi) car.

BTW 2, there were guys who absolutely refused to buy Japanese cars some 20+ Years after WWII.
The mitsubishi version was called the starion... funny enough, they were trying to name it 'stallion', but whoever was in charge had a thick accent so it ended up being 'starion'.

Heh.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 09:01 PM

But... it's a kit car. Painfully so.
Kit.
Car.
I new a guy in college who had an insanely fast Mustang II Cobra. Ran low low 13's. But after everything was said and done, it was still a Mustang II.
Shudder.

Once again, repeat after me: Kit Car.
Every car is a kit car if you buy it as a kit.

They do make fully-built production versions for the UK market, hence it holding the record as the fastest production car in the World.

It was only a suggestion for the OP. He can either get himself a tired 80's Japanese poopbox to work on or get himself something different. I know which one will snap the most knicker elastic and be the most fun to drive when it's done.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 09:16 PM

They do make fully-built production versions for the UK market, hence it holding the record as the fastest production car in the World.

It was only a suggestion for the OP. He can either get himself a tired 80's Japanese poopbox to work on or get himself something different. I know which one will snap the most knicker elastic and be the most fun to drive when it's done.
But this one really looks like a penis extension kit car.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 09:22 PM

But this one really looks like a penis extension kit car.
All the better for giving that McLaren owner a surprise at the traffic lights.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 09:25 PM

The mitsubishi version was called the starion... funny enough, they were trying to name it 'stallion', but whoever was in charge had a thick accent so it ended up being 'starion'.

Heh.
Yep. And that is a funny (but TERRIBLY politically incorrect) story!

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 09:32 PM

I don't know that Rev-O is quite able to elaborate on what a "kit car" actually means to him.

I admit, the idea of ill-fitting pieces with giant, irregular sized gaps between body pieces, and as you go down the road there is a rattling that no amount of tightening or caulking or anything can get rid of. And, at the end of the day, blistering speed and sexy INITIAL impression, not withstanding, it is still, a KIT CAR*...a $30,000 kit car!

I think maybe THAT is what he means. Got anything to dispel that real consideration?

* Which is not to be mistaken for this, which is not only a KIT car but a kit car of TV's talking car from the series, Knight Rider (starring David Hasselhof)..a car named, "KITT."
( Last edited by mojo2; Oct 18, 2005 at 09:38 PM. )

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 09:39 PM

Okay, no comparison. A CRX vs. an Ultima and the Ultima wins. I mean come on, look at the two compared side by side:

vs.

I want something fun, something that will turn heads, and something that growls when I start it. This is more for the fun of building it than driving it, but driving it will be a nice bonus. Whatever it is, I'll end up selling it in 10 years and building something even better.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
Okay, no comparison. A CRX vs. an Ultima and the Ultima wins. I mean come on, look at the two compared side by side:

vs.

I want something fun, something that will turn heads, and something that growls when I start it. This is more for the fun of building it than driving it, but driving it will be a nice bonus. Whatever it is, I'll end up selling it in 10 years and building something even better.
But the ultima isn't from the 80s. Which was your original requirement.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 09:50 PM

Okay, no comparison. A CRX vs. an Ultima and the Ultima wins.

I wouldn't be surprised if you built something that looked like this pix, you would soon be getting regular queries about selling it. A tidy profit might be there to make.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 09:53 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if he got half way through building it and ended up losing interest and selling it half completed. That's what happens to most kit cars.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
I admit, the idea of ill-fitting pieces with giant, irregular sized gaps between body pieces, and as you go down the road there is a rattling that no amount of tightening or caulking or anything can get rid of. And, at the end of the day, blistering speed and sexy INITIAL impression, not withstanding, it is still, a KIT CAR*...a $30,000 kit car!

I think maybe THAT is what he means. Got anything to dispel that real consideration?
Yes, they're at least as well sorted as any 80's Japanese poopbox. The way to look at them isn't as a kit car, but as a production car which you just happen to have bought in parts.

Plus... ...on a different note...

Popping an Ultima next to a Model T in the garage creates a piece of art, a statement. The first mass-produced car sitting next to a modern not mass-produced car - what a juxtaposition! The whole of 20th century motoring history would be contained in the space between those two cars.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 09:57 PM

But the ultima isn't from the 80s. Which was your original requirement.
Car dealership lesson #1.

NEVER assume a buyer's initial 'requirements' are set in stone, UNTIL they say it two or three (sometimes more) times after seeing a number of vehicles. They may end up leaving your dealership and buying elsewhere simply because you 'restricted' them to exactly what they said.

Makes no sense, logically, but we don't buy logically.

We buy emotionally and support our buyingg decisions with logic.

Important lesson in car sales.

Always try to test the strength of the buyer's commitment to the stated 'requirements.'

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 10:00 PM

Yes, they're at least as well sorted as any 80's Japanese poopbox.

Plus... ...on a different note...

Popping an Ultima next to a Model T in the garage creates a piece of art, a statement. The first mass-produced car sitting next to a modern not mass-produced car - what a juxtaposition! The whole of 20th century motoring history would be contained in the space between those two cars.
It takes quite the refined sensibility that can appreciate what you just described!

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 10:20 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if he got half way through building it and ended up losing interest and selling it half completed. That's what happens to most kit cars.
An important clue which you may have intentionally overlooked is the fact that he said he FINISHED the Model T. This immediately moves him from the category of 'most people' and what happens to most people who attempt to build a car, to that OTHER category.

He has the whatevers to finish a project.

He knows cars well enough to venture even outside of today's technology (where he would feel most comfortable working as this is probably what he was taught on/with).

As he was able to see and appreciate how the old timers did things and the choices they made in building a car he will also be able to better appreciate the choices a new kit would instruct him to make. This would enhance the fun factor.

And he'll be interested in seeing the project through to the end as he already has as his ideal the finished result from the T, thus making it less likely he would settle for less than a finished product on a new build.

Also, the fact that the price tag of the kit did not deter him, says he's a different kind of guy.

USUALLY, people who make better than average incomes don't quit easily. They understand, going in, that their end point will be success or they don't go in. Like in the movie, Apollo 13 when NASA Flight Director said, "failure is not an option," successful people have that hard-wired in.

Yeah, I'd be kinda surprised if he didn't finish it.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 11:27 PM

NYAR I WATCH NEED FOR SPEED AND READ SUPER STREET!

NYAR I WILL CHOOSE THE TWO MOST GENERIC MUSCLECARS EVER MADE SINCE EVERYONE HAS ONE AND I AM A LEMMING!

Jesus christ dude. Please realize there are lots of cars other than camaros and mustangs. Let me guess, your favorite 50s car is a 57 chevy bel-air right? Good lord.

- Rob

PS: HE SAID FROM THE 1980s!

What the hell is wrong with you? Did mommy take away your allowance this week? I've never looked an an issue of Super Street and didn't know Need for Speed was a TV show.

You seem like the type of dweeb that thinks he's actually someone important. If you'd actually get off your ass and away from a computer to say something to me in person I bet you'd run away like a little bitch.

You should get out and interact with people more often. Maybe then you'd lose your "I'm a tough guy when typing at my computer" ******** attitude.

Later Robbie.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Angelo78
What the hell is wrong with you? Did mommy take away your allowance this week? I've never looked an an issue of Super Street and didn't know Need for Speed was a TV show.

You seem like the type of dweeb that thinks he's actually someone important. If you'd actually get off your ass and away from a computer to say something to me in person I bet you'd run away like a little bitch.

You should get out and interact with people more often. Maybe then you'd lose your "I'm a tough guy when typing at my computer" ******** attitude.

Later Robbie.
Nothing, I just hate mainstream morons like yourself. No, I don't have allowance, i live with my wife dipshit. You just happened to name the most generic cars as of late that were NOT FORM THE 1980s. Hey I know, I'll post pictures of hippos in response to your post. That's what you did when he asked what 1980s car would be good to restore.

PS: You like 69 Camaros? jesus christ. Your favorite dinosaur is probaby a trex too, right?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 18, 2005, 11:50 PM

Nothing, I just hate mainstream morons like yourself. No, I don't have allowance, i live with my wife dipshit. You just happened to name the most generic cars as of late that were NOT FORM THE 1980s. Hey I know, I'll post pictures of hippos in response to your post. That's what you did when he asked what 1980s car would be good to restore.

PS: You like 69 Camaros? jesus christ. Your favorite dinosaur is probaby a trex too, right?
Have you considered the possibility that he might actually like those cars? Why is every single person who doesn't happen to agree with you automatically a moron? And you're suprised that people think you're intolerant pr¡ck and that your butt gets banned from here every other week?

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 12:11 AM

You may want to re-read his last sentence a bit more carefully: "Is there something from the 1980's or 1990's that would have enough power to get a guy's heart beating, yet have the good looks to turn heads?"

Then I mentioned what I might like to restore if I were to be building up another car. After that I posted pics of my father's car because since he is into older cars maybe he'd be interested in seeing it. If not, no big deal, but I felt like sharing. That's all my intentions were. Why do you have such a problem with that? I could make fun of CRX's all day but if that's a car you like, good for you. I don't care. I made my suggestions but could really care less what he restores next. The important thing is he has fun and is happy with the work he does.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 12:17 AM

All the better for giving that McLaren owner a surprise at the traffic lights.
The McLaren owner may be able to drown his sorrows in the millions of dollars he has.
Sure, you can laugh and point at him and be smug knowning that you built a car that is faster than his for many many many hundreds of thousands of dollars less, but he can be equally smug that he has many many many hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on a car! I guess it all depends on what bragging rights you want.

Seriously, I don't have any gripes against the car you like. Not my taste, but whatever floats your boat man.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2005, 06:44 AM

Seriously, I don't have any gripes against the car you like. Not my taste, but whatever floats your boat man.
There's the point though. I'm not thinking of me, I'm thinking of the OP. I don't actually care much for the style of the Ultima either - I'm a 4x4 dude, not a fast car dude (had my fill of that). The guy said he wanted to build something fun so there ya go, there's not a lot which exceeds the Ultima's fun factor.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 08:17 AM

How about this?

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 08:34 AM

It is interesting to see how you have described my interests. For the most part, you are correct. I am the type of person who will finish any project I start, or I just won't start the project. I learn everything I can about it to guarantee success before I begin.

As for the year of the car, I was interested in the 1980's or 1990's initially. I expected people in this forum to deviate outside of that range (they always do), and sure enough, on the first page of this thread there are cars from the 1960's and 1970's. No problem, I keep an open mind. My main requirement is to enjoy doing the restoration and driving the finished project.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2005, 08:59 AM

It is interesting to see how you have described my interests. For the most part, you are correct. I am the type of person who will finish any project I start, or I just won't start the project. I learn everything I can about it to guarantee success before I begin.

As for the year of the car, I was interested in the 1980's or 1990's initially. I expected people in this forum to deviate outside of that range (they always do), and sure enough, on the first page of this thread there are cars from the 1960's and 1970's. No problem, I keep an open mind. My main requirement is to enjoy doing the restoration and driving the finished project.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 11:49 AM

Go with the Gramd National, T-type, or GNX. Parts are plentiful and the cars always get looks, even at almost 20 years old!!! And yes they do come in colors other than black. The t-types come in Gray, Burgundy, white, and I have seen some blue ones. You won't regret buying this car. It was the fastest production vehicle in 1987! Let alone one of the fastest V6's you can buy.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 06:08 PM

Grand National (or Turbo T-Type), Syclone/Typhoon, 5.0L/5.8L EFI Windsor powered Fox-Body Mustang coupe (supercharge/turbocharge it.. fear of God, etc)
ice

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac
Go with the Gramd National, T-type, or GNX. ... It was the fastest production vehicle in 1987!
If you completely ignore the Porsche 959 and Ferrari F40.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac
Let alone one of the fastest V6's you can buy.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 19, 2005, 06:20 PM

If you completely ignore the Porsche 959 and Ferrari F40.
I think he meant domestic.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2005, 06:23 PM

I think he meant domestic.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 07:40 PM

Already have an Acura TL - 280 HP in a V6. I'm looking for something older bad_quote.

Forum Links
Forum Rules