Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Password for Pages

Password for Pages
kingjules
Sep 30, 2006, 02:20 PM

Is it possible to put a password for opening in the pages documents? i would need to do something like that but i can't find the option nowhere.

thanks for your help
Jules
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2006, 02:22 PM

you could save them to a password-protected disk image.

-r.

kingjules  (op)
Oct 1, 2006, 04:40 PM

good idea. one thing is: how to I create a protected disk image?

thanks
Jules
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2006, 05:37 PM

open disk utility and make a new disk image. make sure the image is both readable and writable and set encryption to AES-128. save it and then enter a password for the image.

-r.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2006, 09:22 PM

This is a lot easier on a PC

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 10:44 PM

Using a disk image wouldn't let you create a document that cannot be edited though. It's little features like this that Apple needs to implement into Pages if it wants it to be a serious competitor to other word processors.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 01:59 AM

That's a big "if."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Using a disk image wouldn't let you create a document that cannot be edited though.
Er... yes it would. The disk image just has to be read/write and you can save to files with no problems.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Using a disk image wouldn't let you create a document that cannot be edited though.
Er... yes it would. The disk image just has to be read/write and you can save to files with no problems.
No, you're missing his point. He wants other people to be able to open the file but not edit it. That issue isn't affected at all by the ability to use an encrypted disk image.

Edit: or, I suppose, in the OP's case, he might want people to be able to see that the document exists but only open it with a password. A disk image is a whole extra step to explain to people when, with Word, you could just give some of them the password and tell 'em where to find the file.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 12:19 PM

Yeah I frequently send a form to my clients which is password protected so they can only fill in certain parts and not edit the content. That can't be done with Pages.

It's all well and good having fancy things like embedded Quicktime, but I just don't understand why Apple leaves out simple features like this. I think Apple needs to give Pages an overall if they want it to be serious against apps like the upcoming fancy Office from that other lot.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
No, you're missing his point. He wants other people to be able to open the file but not edit it. That issue isn't affected at all by the ability to use an encrypted disk image.

Edit: or, I suppose, in the OP's case, he might want people to be able to see that the document exists but only open it with a password. A disk image is a whole extra step to explain to people when, with Word, you could just give some of them the password and tell 'em where to find the file.
Misinterpreted your post actually. I thought you meant that you wouldn't be able to save a file after editing it if you had it on a disk image. Now I have re-read it, I get what you mean.

FWIW, what makes anyone think that Pages is meant to be a "serious" competitor to Word (by which I assume you all mean a business app as this is generally the only place where you would want to have a password protected file)? It isn't even pitched at that level - it's a consumer application, pure and simple and IMO, already knocked the pants off Word as a consumer app in version 1.0 purely because it was 10 times easier to use.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2006, 03:29 PM

If you don't want people to edit it, saving as a PDF from Print will work (yes, those with Illustrator will mess with your head, but they are freaks anyway). The password "protection" in Word and Excel has always been easy to work around (Spotlight, for example, goes right past it). Having the ability to encrypt and secure at the OS level makes much more sense. Your word processor should not be your data security mechanic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules