Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder Column View - Deleting Folder Kicks Me Back to Root Folder

Finder Column View - Deleting Folder Kicks Me Back to Root Folder
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2011, 10:56 AM

This is one of those obnoxious things that's been driving me nuts for awhile. I first noticed this behavior with NTFS drives mounted with NTFS-3G, but it's also doing the same thing for my mounted server shares (ZFS via NexentaStor).

When in Finder's column view, if I delete a folder (empty or not) it will clear all of the columns and kick me back out to the root directory. For example, if I browse 6 columns deep into a filesystem and delete a folder - I get kicked out to square one and need to re-navigate through to that folder.

Normal Finder behavior is to move it to the trash and you remain in the folder you're browsing, which works fine for me on all SATA-attached HFS+ drives.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 12:59 PM

Interesting, I noticed this on the Drobo that I recently purchased.

So far, I have only been working with FW attached storage, where this doesn't appear to happen.
I'd be interest to find out what's going on.

Fortunately, the "back" button in Finder will take you straight where you left, so it's just one additional click. But still annoying.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules