Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Official Threads

Official Threads
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 10:37 PM

I really disagree with the official threads concept. I know that this has been around for a while, but it really cuts the discussion down to a lowest common denominator that's hard to follow. What's the problem with more than one thread on even a whole series of applications, like Microsoft Office 2008? If someone doesn't feel that their content is appropriately served by an existing thread, why shouldn't they be able to start their own? I understand having a single thread for speculation on new products that haven't been released or feedback on a new product that's not yet in people's hands, but having multiple threads allows people to get into discussions that may not be of interest to everyone, rather involving people only on topics of interest that they may have.

Could someone please clarify why this is done and what harm is caused by having a few discrete threads on a topic? Thanks!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 02:35 AM

It causes way too much noise if everyone wants to post his or her own thread on a given subject. I do think that at a certain point official threads outlive their usefulness, however.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2008, 03:49 AM

We need official threads especially when new Apple products are released.
When Leopard was put out in the wild, tons of thread on Time Machine were cropping up, many of them redundant. We try to regularly unstick old threads, some of them keep on floating to the top on their own, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 09:41 AM

But by the same token if you go into the lounge you get to see the following threads - I did a quick search and this list is only from January and December.

Dare I say we don't need this many official threads.

Why farting is dangerous... (The EPIC OFFICIAL thread)
The official Public Wifi Security countdown thread
The official "Things the World Doesn't Need" thread
The official Ronald McDonald thread
Do your farts stink? (Official thread)
The Official 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread <- yet there's still a ton of campaign threads
The official MacNN history thread
The Official "Why I Hate My Neighbors" Thread.
The official farting wife thread
The official beard thread
The official accordion thread
The OFFICIAL (Really) "Merry Christmas" Thread
The official oatmeal thread
The Official Popcorn Thread
The official lower-quality MacNN nominations thread

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 10:06 AM

He's talking about something completely different, 'nerd.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 10:19 AM

I don't see that what I posted is really that different then what's he's asking.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 10:23 AM

Your talking about frivolous Lounge threads, he's asking with regards to multi-faceted topics such as Mac OS X or Time Machine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
But by the same token if you go into the lounge you get to see the following threads

Mmmmm. Irony.

It's officially what's for breakfast.

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2008, 10:59 AM

There are threads that claim they're official. Then there are threads that are recognized by the staff as the thread on a certain topic.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Your talking about frivolous Lounge threads, he's asking with regards to multi-faceted topics such as Mac OS X or Time Machine.
You're right, but he's complaining about official threads and there's a bunch in the lounge. Frivolous or not

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 11:43 AM

You're right, but he's complaining about official threads and there's a bunch in the lounge. Frivolous or not

S/he's complaining about how a thread being "official" affects the discussion of the topic.

I imagine your complaint is different, unless you are saying "Why farting is dangerous... (The EPIC OFFICIAL thread)" is a problem because it's the kind of complex subject that warrants multiple threads.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 11:46 AM

You say I'm right, but then the rest of your sentence seems to go on and ignore that fact.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2008, 11:27 PM

Official Threads are useful for consolidating posts, with the hope that people may read them instead of posting the same question over and over. We could probably use a few more of them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2008, 01:00 AM

This thread officially blows.

Epically

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules