Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best app for securely storing passwords and other info?

Best app for securely storing passwords and other info?
nickhos38
Oct 31, 2007, 09:41 AM

I am looking to get the best app for storing my passwords, credit card info, social security numbers, serial numbers, etc. I currently use a neat little app called "Safe Place," but I may want to update when I upgrade to Leopard this week.

How does keychain look in Leopard? Any changes? Updates?

Any suggestions for third party software?

Thanks!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2007, 10:01 AM

What's wrong with Keychain Access?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2007, 10:34 AM

Nothing. Keychain Access works fine for this. I made a second keychain for such notes though. I don't store them in my login keychain.

hab
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2007, 11:35 AM

SplashID. Orginally developed and still great for handhelds but the associated desktop application is just great. Websites for accounts are clickable and there is a one click button for copying to the clip board your login ID and password which greatly speeds up your access to electronic accounts and other regularly visited sites. I've used it for several years and it has become a standard part of my workflow. Oh, and this is not spam - I am just a satisfied customer.
SplashID - Password Manager for Palm, Treo, Pocket PC, BlackBerry, Smartphone, UIQ, Windows, Mac OS
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2007, 11:57 AM

You could even do this with a password encrypted .dmg.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Nothing. Keychain Access works fine for this. I made a second keychain for such notes though. I don't store them in my login keychain.
Why? I thought a login password could override the KA passwords? Am I wrong on that?

nickhos38  (op)
Nov 1, 2007, 12:05 AM

I use this type of app throughout the day. I use it at least as often as I do any other app, so it is important that it work a perfectly as possible for me.

My biggest problem with Keychain is the user interface. I mean, I really don't understand how I am supposed to use it.

For instance, what are "Certificates"? What is the difference between "Certificates" and "My Certificates"? What are "keys"? How are they different from "Passwords"? I think I am supposed to store information such as social security and credit card numbers in "Secure Notes," but I am not certain.

Also, are the autofill usernames and passwords that get saved in Safari also part of my Keychain?

Some of the third party applications REALLY let you go in and customize the way you organize your information.

I will look into this SpashID app, but it doesn't look much more impressive than the app I am currently using.

I will also try using the Keychain as suggested, by creating a separate keychain from my login keychain (I can actually see the benefit in this).

Are there any other suggestions? I appreciate any input.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2007, 06:55 AM

My biggest problem with Keychain is the user interface. I mean, I really don't understand how I am supposed to use it.

For instance, what are "Certificates"? What is the difference between "Certificates" and "My Certificates"? What are "keys"? How are they different from "Passwords"? I think I am supposed to store information such as social security and credit card numbers in "Secure Notes," but I am not certain.
I'd like to use Keychain for my secure info but like you don't find it very easy or understandable.

Matari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 09:53 AM

works for me - really nice and simple, and leopard compatible.

mehlau.net > pastor

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 05:50 PM

This is an easy question. You need 1Password. It's critically acclaimed for good reason. Check out the video on the website:

Password Manager + AutoFill for Mac OS X

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2007, 06:04 PM

I use Keychain and Yojimbo.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
I'd like to use Keychain for my secure info but like you don't find it very easy or understandable.
You can just use the passwords and secure notes if you don't want to figure the rest out.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2007, 06:40 PM

You can just use the passwords and secure notes if you don't want to figure the rest out.
I was doing that but then it stopped allowing me to create secure notes and kept saving them as web forms.

I've been checking out the apps recommended on this form. They all look good but I like 1password best so far.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 07:06 PM

'Stopped allowing'? What do you mean?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2007, 07:48 PM

Safe Place is pretty slick; I purchased it a while back and while the interface leaves a bit to be desired, it's quite flexible for customizing field types, etc. Downside is that it's not yet Universal Binary compatible so it launches a little slower even under Leopard.

A similar, more up to date application would be Wallet which is more up to date but seems limited for total customization of data types.

Originally Posted by nickhos38 View Post
I currently use a neat little app called "Safe Place," but I may want to update when I upgrade to Leopard this week.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2007, 07:14 AM

'Stopped allowing'? What do you mean?
I mean that whenever I tried to creat a secure note it always saved it as a web form.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
They all look good but I like 1password best so far.
Glad you like it. On the page for iStat menus (a great tool I also recommend), there is an offer for 20% off 1Password:

iSlayer.com

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2007, 11:30 PM

I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules