Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Writers' court filing slams Apple e-book verdict as 'misplaced'

Writers' court filing slams Apple e-book verdict as 'misplaced'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 3, 2015, 05:18 PM

After being largely ignored -- even after presenting evidence -- at the first bench trial and in the appeal of Apple's e-book antitrust conviction, four large industry groups representing the content creators and sellers of e-books have filed amicus curae ("friend of the court") briefs in support of Apple, urging the Supreme Court to overturn the rulings. The filings say that Amazon used loss-leader pricing to eliminate competition and abuse its monopoly, ultimately doing more harm to consumers than Apple has ever been accused of.

The Authors Guild, Authors United, bookseller Barnes & Noble, and the American Booksellers Association filed the joint brief, which tells the Court that the erroneous conviction of Apple as the leader of a conspiracy among publishers to raise e-book prices "threatens to undermind the very objective of antitrust law -- to ensure robust competition," and that Apple's entry into the e-book marketplace broke Amazon's monopoly, which was eliminating publisher diversity and harming authors with an unsustainable business model designed to ensure no competitors could enter the market, and that its own Kindle hardware would become the only e-reader.

The case as made by the Department of Justice has never been about Amazon -- despite evidence of abusive behavior presented during the trial, and despite ignored statements from Sony that it, and not Apple, was the first to approach publishers about using the "agency" pricing model to force Amazon to price e-books fairly, including a "most favored nation" clause in contracts months before Apple approached publishers with the iBookstore concept.

Instead, the DOJ argued that because Jobs and publisher companies talked about the need to raise prices in order to make the e-book market sustainable, they were guilty of "conspiring" to harm consumers, despite admissions by publishers that the agency model was discussed as a tool to regain power from Amazon before Jobs and Apple reached the same conclusion in their pitch to publishers.

The Jobs email at the center of the DOJ
The Jobs email at the center of the DOJ's case

The brief from the four organizations said that Amazon's practice of selling e-books below cost was an effort to stop the creation of "a healthy marketplace for the ideas and First Amendment-protected expression that authors and bookstores facilitate," threatening both smaller publishers and brick-and-mortar bookstores that could not compete with its loss-leader prices with extinction. The Borders chain, as well as a number of veteran smaller bookstores, shuttered in part due to the undercutting of printed book prices by Amazon's $10 price point on e-book bestsellers, versus the $20 to $40 such books commanded in physical form, and the inability to enter the e-book or e-reader market.

At one point, Amazon controlled 90 percent of the e-book market, well above the "monopoly" threshold of 67 percent. Following the entry of Apple and the introduction of "agency" pricing, where publishers set the price rather than retailers, other companies entered the fray, and Amazon's share eventually dropped to 60 percent due to the effect of leveling the playing field, and similar prices across the market, brought on by the switch to "agency" pricing.

While in the short-term, this did cause e-book prices to rise back to sustainable levels -- around $12-14 for the most popular e-books -- prices overall continued to hover around the $10 mark, and have since actually gone down slightly, only with more booksellers and publishers in the market rather than Amazon's sole-source strategy. The amicus brief argues that these moves promoted "the robust discourse that is vital to democracy" and that the groups "fundamentally question the wisdom of the Second Circuit's use of antitrust law to punish a business arrangement that demonstrably increased competition in the e-book marketplace," said Author's Guild Executive Director Mary Rasenberger in a group statement.

By ignoring the harm Amazon was doing to the market, and instead focusing on alleged price-fixing that the DOJ accused Apple of instigating, the federal government, as well as initial trial judge Denise Cote. erred in the July 2013 trial, Apple and the amicus briefs argue.

Apple, in its initial filing asking for the Supreme Court appeal, said that Cote and to a lesser extent the Appeals court based their decisions on a flawed model of antitrust violations, failing to weigh Apple's entry as pro-competitive and the benefits of a second major bookseller in creating market equilibrium that benefits authors, publishers, and ultimately consumers -- by making the market more diverse and competitive as part of the ruling.

"This case ... presents issues of surpassing importance to the United States economy," attorneys for Apple argued in their filing. Disruptive entry into new or stagnant markets -- the "lifeblood of American economic growth," according to the filing -- often requires the "very type" of monopoly-busting action the company engaged in when it forged new agreements with publishers in late 2009.

The government's principal arguments have been founded on two premises that have been widely criticized as deeply flawed by legal experts: The first being that Apple was a vertical leader of a "horizontal" conspiracy among publishers, and the second was that was that lower prices were the be-all and end-all of consumer interest. The DOJ has maintained a position of being uninterested in the concept that a more-sustainable "true" pricing level would encourage new entrants, despite the obvious benefits to consumers.

The DOJ argued that this represented a conspiracy to upset "market forces," but ignored the fact that loss-leader pricing would eventually lead to publisher consolidation, reducing diversity among publishers and authors, and the number of outlets available -- effectively sanctioning a monopoly of the market to Amazon, which was much more likely to ultimately harm buyers than a slight (and temporary) price increase.

Apple's belief that it has been unfairly portrayed by the Department of Justice has gained credibility with antitrust experts, economists, publishing companies, and outside observers of the case -- leading Barnes and Noble, which competes directly with Apple with its e-bookstore and Nook hardware, to assist in the filing on Apple's behalf. Should it ultimately lose the case, the iPhone maker will owe groups of class action lawyers and state Attorney Generals around $450 million. However, should it win a partial or complete overturning of the ruling, Apple would owe nothing to the group beyond a small amount of attorney's fees and court costs.

Bolstering Apple's case is the dissenting ruling of the third appeals court judge, who said Apple's actions were "unambiguously and overwhelmingly pro-competitive." Fortune writer Roger Parloff, in an analysis of the SCOTUS appeal, wrote that "most conduct challenged as violating the antitrust laws is tested under a 'rule of reason' analysis, where the court weighs all the circumstances, including the potentially pro-competitive and anti-competitive effects of whatever the defendant did. However, when certain categories of conduct are alleged -- including horizontal price-fixing -- courts have decided that there is such a longstanding consensus that such conduct is anti-competitive, that it can be considered illegal per se, freeing the judge from undergoing a full-blown rule-of-reason analysis."

This, Parloff says, is the fundamental flaw in the original judge's decision -- while Cote included a perfunctory one-paragraph "rule of reason" analysis to protect her legal error-filled ruling, even one of the Appeals Court judges ruling to uphold the finding on the strength of the per se judgement disagreed that the "rule of reason" analysis was credible. Apple has argued that its actions require a rule-of-reason analysis that it has thus far not received, and which it expects will result in at least a partial overturning of the previous judgements.

The filing also points to two previous court precedents to back up its attack on the per se rationale behind the original decision: a 2007 Supreme Court decision ("Leegin Creative Leather Prods., Inc. v. PSKS, Inc") that found that vertical price-fixing cannot be found illegal per se, and must be analyzed by rule-of-reason, and a federal appeals court ruling more recently that an alleged "vertical" participant in a "horizontal" conspiracy must be judged under rule-of-reason.

While Apple has avoided making the Amazon-as-abusive-monopoly argument as the centerpiece of its own filings, others have repeatedly pointed out that the DOJ may well have gone after the wrong entrant in the e-book market. At the time of its trial, Amazon was (and continues to) use its market power to dictate terms favorable to itself but harmful to authors and publishers, the organizations filing the amicus brief maintain.

Its market position, which -- as as a result of the DOJ's bias and rulings against Apple -- is again creeping back to its former levels, has led to decisions on which books to promote on its homepage, or recommend to shoppers. The online retailer uses this to win crippling concessions from publishers. The Apple brief specifically cites confrontations with publishers Macmillan and Hachette, which did in fact result in some books temporarily disappearing from Amazon's website -- moves that publishers and authors have called "bullying."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 3, 2015 at 07:55 PM. )

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2015, 06:24 PM

As long as Denise is in charge, nothing will happen. She is a one-woman vendetta against Apple.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2015, 06:41 PM

She's not in charge of this case at this point. The Supreme Court is. Despite the evidence in Apple's favour, it will still be tough to get the court to reverse the Appeal Court's ruling outright unless it buys in to Apple's argument that the Appeals Court should have given them its own "rule of reason" analysis rather than (barely) upholding Judge Cote's. That said, I agree with you that she certainly had it in for Apple from the get-go; she bent over backwards to make the DOJ's very weak case work.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Makosuke
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2015, 08:50 PM

Sure, everybody has their own skin in the game and wants something for themselves, but when you can get the Author's Guild, a voluntary list of hundreds of authors ranging from John Grisham to Lemony Snicket, the biggest physical bookstore chain in the country, *and* the American Booksellers Association all to agree on something... well, there's probably something to it.

Heck, even if there wasn't, the simple fact that so many huge-name authors are willing to speak up should have you paying attention.

aardman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2015, 01:45 AM

I still can't think of any other episode in the history of the United Sates where the DoJ stepped in to restore a dominant market position that had been demolished by a new entrant. It's just appalling.

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2015, 04:31 AM

Why do we have to choose either Evil #1, or Evil #2? The arguments above boil down to: is price fixing better, or is product dumping (monopoly building) better.

I would have sued Apple + publishers for price fixing. And I would have sued Amazon for product dumping to eliminate competitors. Both are bad for consumers.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2015, 10:25 AM

Many thanks MacNN for the best and most well-researched article I've seen on this topic. The so-called mainstream media with its often lazy reporters could learn a lot from you about good journalism.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2015, 12:41 PM

chiarera: if your options are to raise prices or go out of business, is that "price-fixing"? If most of the smaller publishers disappear as a result of a race to the bottom, is that good for consumers even if they temporarily enjoy some lower prices? Even if you agree that it was, the evidence shows that the publishers and Sony discussed this MONTHS before Apple came along, so is Apple guilty of anything other than coming to the same conclusion as the publishers: that their deal with Amazon, dictated to them by Amazon, is unsustainable?

Finally, and this is the key question: was any lasting harm done to the market by Apple's entry, or was there a lot of good done? I sure can't find any harm done by any of the parties not named Amazon in this entire case. Just my opinion, but I'm in the "DOJ went after the wrong entrant" camp entirely. We have extensive overreach and prosecution of what appears to me to be an *entirely* innocent party, a quick and cheap settlement with a group of not-so-innocent conspirators, and a complete ignoring of easily-provable and criminal abuse of monopoly power by Amazon. Putting aside the easiest explanation of "outright bribery," how does one explain this obvious misstep?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Flying Meat
Senior User
Dec 4, 2015, 01:03 PM

But the DOJ did not go after Apple AND Amazon. Just Apple. "We" don't have the option of going after both, but can only lament the obvious hubris of going after just the one.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2015, 03:53 PM

I guess I'm just too cynical about these things, because I still think something is fundamentally wrong with the entire eBook pricing scheme. Regardless of which entity is responsible, I just can't see how consumers are putting-up with costs of eBooks being of parity with their physical copies. No printing, no manufacturing, no shipping, no returns of unsold products. And then you have the down-sides of having a book that needs batteries, can't be (safely) read in a bathtub, has to be put-away during takeoff and landing on many airlines (is changing? has changed?) The price-point seems like nonsense to me. I bought a couple budget-priced books back with iBooks had beautiful-looking books. Now that it's gone to a look which is just the same as reading a plain-white-PDF I've never bought another one. Would I buy eBooks (even ugly ones) at 1/3 or 1/2 the price of a paperback? Absolutely. Will I pay the same as I would pay for a paperback. Not a chance. It's hard to see how we got to the pricing we have without shenanigans somewhere along the line...

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2015, 06:54 PM

panjandrum: e-books are (by and large, I'm sure there are exceptions) cheaper than printed books (or even audiobooks, for that matter!). Typically, e-books hover at or near $10; the list price of most hardbacks is $25-40, and the list price of "softbound" as they're called these days is around $20.

And yes, the thing about iPads being turned off during take-off/landing has been much softened, though they still must be put into airplane mode (and a few airlines haven't caught up with the changes, but most have). Still unsafe for the bathtub, however, as you mention.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2015, 03:56 PM

I just purchased 2 recent paperbacks at B&N the other day for under $10 each. Admittedly I usually wait for a regular old paperback edition to become available, so maybe I'm simply in the minority there. Whenever I think about eBook pricing I always compare it to the price of a standard, regular, non-fancy, paperback edition.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 7, 2015, 04:44 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules