Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Brushed Metal in Smoothstripes/Aqua Extreme

Brushed Metal in Smoothstripes/Aqua Extreme
N.L
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2003, 03:43 AM

This may have been posted somewhere else, but I did a search and didn't find anything, so here goes... I've been playing around with both of these themes, both of which are incredible (nice job Max!), but I am realizing that I do actually like brushed metal, especially in Safari. That being the case, is there any way to revert the theme back to normal brushed metal? I took a look at the theme's resources, but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for... Anyone able to help me out?

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 01:16 PM

The white-brushed look is only for the "Sunken Aqua" versions of Aqua Extreme and SmoothStripes... if you use the normal raised Aqua versions, you'll have the regular brushed look. (for SmoothStripes, that means you have to download the non-sunken versions, but for Aqua Extreme, they're all in the same package)

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2003, 01:19 PM

LOL Figures. Of course, sunken aqua was the main reasons that I liked them in the first place... :-)

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 6, 2003, 01:34 PM

Sage is right, it's just for the Sunken Aqua variations. The reason being because the sunken aqua elements use a gradient to make them look sunken, but that gradient only looks good on a bright backgrround, hence the "milk" metal apps.
You could bring the Metal back by copying the Metal texture, Metal gradient and Metal Bevels from a regular extras.rsrc into the sunken aqua resource.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2003, 04:32 PM

Is it just me, or is the new Aqua Extreme Sunken Aqua 1.2 Traffic slightly messed up?

I just started using it (it looks amazing!) and in Aqua apps, the close/min/max buttons are traffic colored, like they should be, but in Brushed windows, they are all blue, like the other theme config.

Just a tip, looks great otherwise!

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2003, 05:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is it I'm needing to copy between the resource files...I've been looking them over in ThemePark but I can't seem to find anything that looks like a metal texture or gradient. I'm pretty new to this and I know how annoying newbies get, so I apologize, but I just need a couple of pointers and I can figure it out from there. :-)

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 05:24 PM

maybe i should do some research before i start typing. :o

edit2: eh ill stick with the old aqua extreme. i like the new features but i got rid of panther because of its ugly title and menu bars. maybe next time

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 6, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
Is it just me, or is the new Aqua Extreme Sunken Aqua 1.2 Traffic slightly messed up?

I just started using it (it looks amazing!) and in Aqua apps, the close/min/max buttons are traffic colored, like they should be, but in Brushed windows, they are all blue, like the other theme config.

Just a tip, looks great otherwise!
I got that report to me, I probably messed that up when making the tons of different variations. I'll fix it sometime, busy downloading stuff with ADSL

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I got that report to me, I probably messed that up when making the tons of different variations. I'll fix it sometime, busy downloading stuff with ADSL
Yeah, that must be weird going from a 28.8 modem to ADSL. Have fun!

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2003, 10:21 PM

Sage is right, it's just for the Sunken Aqua variations. The reason being because the sunken aqua elements use a gradient to make them look sunken, but that gradient only looks good on a bright backgrround, hence the "milk" metal apps.
You could bring the Metal back by copying the Metal texture, Metal gradient and Metal Bevels from a regular extras.rsrc into the sunken aqua resource.
Thanks Max! This worked pretty well, though I had to not only replace the metal itself, but I also had to replace the metal-specific widgets with ones from your brushed theme. All-in-all, though, it looks pretty good, though I'm taking my chances when it comes to regular widgets (this is one occasion when I'm happy Apple has used custom ones in metal apps...).

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 10:27 PM

i was hacking Aqua Extreme 1.2 to get the brushed metal back and the stripes in correctly, but i just can not find the pxm for one thing. its hard to explain so ill just take a pic of of. here: . kthnx

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2003, 11:11 PM

I could be completely wrong, but after looking at the "ppat" resources, that seems like one of them...

On another note, what resource is the little dot between the address intput and the Google input in Safari (the one that allows you to resize the Google field)?

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by N.L:
I could be completely wrong, but after looking at the "ppat" resources, that seems like one of them...

On another note, what resource is the little dot between the address intput and the Google input in Safari (the one that allows you to resize the Google field)?
Nevermind, I found it (Pane Splitter Dimple, in case anyone who doesn't know wants to know ).

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by N.L:
heh, you're right. i would have never thought about looking there
thanks.

now i need to know which freaking one.

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 01:11 AM

I don't think there's too many....just try replacing them one by one with a plain-colored graphic or something and see what happens.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 7, 2003, 05:49 AM

An easy way to combine themes is by doing this in ThemePark:

Apply the theme which you want to take elements from.
Open ThemePark 1.0.

Browse to which every category you want to take. For example you could choose the whole "Background" category if you just want the backgrounds from a theme.
Choose "Merge with installed elements".
Do this to all the elements you want to take.

Save that file as a themepark file.

(If you want to add elements from an other theme, save the file and apply that theme and then relaunch ThemePark.)

Then apply the theme that you want to merge the elements with and relaunch ThemePark.

Open up the file you saved. Go to the "Global Elements" category and select the whole category. Choose "merge with installed elements" (your changed items are NOT replaced).

Now go into the File menu and choose to export a DLTA.

Save that and inside you will have a Extras.rsrc which will have your changes in it.

Done!

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2003, 08:31 PM

eh whatever. im growing the the stripes in the menu bars and title bars and such and the subtle ones in different places. looks kinda spiffy.

bborofka
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 01:46 AM

I love SmoothStripes Sunken Aqua 3.1.1, but I too can't stand not having brushed metal in the iApps and Safari. I know nothing about editing themes and don't have any tools to do so. Is there a chance someone could post a version of this theme with normal brushed metal? How bad do the buttons really look?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 8, 2003, 06:38 AM

This is how bad they would look:

The best solution I could offer would be a bright metal in metal apps, would the be of interest?

If so I could make a mockup and then post a poll about it on my homepage.

alternate_bit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 11:02 AM

i have always thought a more subtle 'metal' is in order, and i'm surprised no one has come out with one yet. i have no idea how to get textured backgrounds to tile, otherwise i would help out.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 11:44 AM

The best solution I could offer would be a bright metal in metal apps, would the be of interest?

that would be too cool of you. your themes are amazing, but i would really like brushed metal back.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 8, 2003, 12:10 PM

I tried some tinkering with the buttons now, and I came up with a different gradient that uses a alpha channel and would look good on both surfaces. I will probably remake the buttons using that and then the theme would not have a problem with metal texture.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 12:17 PM

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 12:35 PM

I tried some tinkering with the buttons now, and I came up with a different gradient that uses a alpha channel and would look good on both surfaces. I will probably remake the buttons using that and then the theme would not have a problem with metal texture.

And an added bonus would be that they would look good on all websites too!

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 04:52 PM

Woo hooo! This I am really looking forward to!

bborofka
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 05:36 PM

This is how bad they would look:

That really doesn't look all that bad, but I'm glad to hear you've found a way to make the buttons look even better on brushed metal... I hope that doesn't mean you're going to change brushed metal at all... I don't think I'd want it brighter than it is now Keep up the good work. Can't wait for the update!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 9, 2003, 05:41 AM

This is how the new buttons will look on SS and Brushed:

Although they will look a tad bit different in Aqua Extreme, they will be 4% darker on the top. And they will also be 1% lighter on the bottom in both AE and SS.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2003, 08:08 AM

they look good. you got my vote

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2003, 12:00 PM

[image above]

Although they will look a tad bit different in Aqua Extreme, they will be 4% darker on the top. And they will also be 1% lighter on the bottom in both AE and SS.
Those look great! Eagerly awaiting the update!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 9, 2003, 02:29 PM

Those look cool booz, they look just like the sunken buttons on the bottom of the iTunes window. And I like those.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2003, 10:47 PM

dru
Senior User
Jul 10, 2003, 03:38 AM

[image]

I like them. Update please.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 10, 2003, 08:34 AM

The update should be out in a day or two.

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 10:33 AM

The update should be out in a day or two.
Awesome! Thanks!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 11, 2003, 10:31 AM

It's out now! Grab it on my homepage, although the ww.maxthemes.com redirect does not seem to work right now, but just click my sig and you will get there.

Hope you will like it.

N.L  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 12:31 PM

It's out now! Grab it on my homepage, although the ww.maxthemes.com redirect does not seem to work right now, but just click my sig and you will get there.

Hope you will like it.
It looks very nice (as does the Safari skin, which is cool)! Very much appreciated! A donation is on it's way.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 02:57 PM

looks good, thanks a lot
( Last edited by mdc; Jul 11, 2003 at 03:04 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules