Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > unruly combo drive

unruly combo drive
vandymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 01:37 PM

i have a 2-month-old 12" rev a powerbook (don't get me started about the new ibooks) and my combo drive has become quite finicky lately. last saturday i purchased a new cd so i inserted it into my pbook to rip the songs. i met a little resistance but the cd loaded and functioned fine, and ejected without incedent as well. however, when i next tried to use my combo drive (this morning) to do some spanish homework (i'm a college student), which is due later today , the drive was unwilling to accept the disc, no matter how much i complimented and cajoled. if the disc is forced all the way in, it is promptly spit back out (to the normal eject position) and the same is true for all other discs i've tried today. i just installed the may 2003 combo drive update (which i'm sure my pbook came with, but i'm just being thourough) and there was no effect, which leads me to wonder if my drive is busted...

any ideas??

i have applecare, but don't wish to be without my mac for any extended period of time here at school, the closest apple store is in excess of 3 hours away (and i have no car)

Forum Links
Forum Rules