Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > KVM switch

KVM switch
Altair
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2004, 02:30 AM

So now that I have enough money to actually get one, I'm in the market to get a good KVM switch. I need to be able to hook up my powerbook and my pc desktop. I have a usb mouse and a usb/ps2 keyboard and an analog crt monitor. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good kvm for under $70?

Thanks
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 12:26 PM

I picked up a little cheap KVM switch at radio shack. It has 2 USB in ports for the two computers and a 3 port USB hub and PS2 connectors for a PC keyboard and mouse. It was around $40.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 11:40 PM

I just purchased two - one is a 2-port KVM switch from Belkin, the other is a 4-port KVM from the same manufacturer - don't forget to buy cables if they aren't already included, I figured this out the hard way and had to order them separately.

TechDepot has pretty good prices on these items...

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 06:13 AM

i;ve used the iogear kvm mini - clicky
It comes with the cables built-in, so it works straight out of the box.

for the Mac you'll need to swap the hot key setting so it works when you double tap the control key.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2004, 11:21 AM

Do NOT get one from Belkin. They don't do a simple USB pass-through, but instead they do all kinds of funkiness to it and totally screw it up.

For example, if you hold down the command key to do a non-contiguous selection, the Belkin KVM will stop passing the command key after about 5 seconds, totally screwing up any selection you'd had.

I've got a Dr. Bott now and it's great. If you can deal with USB-only (most PCs will be a little grumpy about only having a USB keyboard and mouse, but you can convince 'em to get over it), I'd heartily recommend Dr. Bott.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules