Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgraded to a 17"

Upgraded to a 17"
Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 09:05 AM

Made the leap of faith yesterday and ordered a brand-spankin'-new 17". The vendor offered a free 512MB upgrade which I took, but I will most likely be in the market for a 1GB stick (or two, since I believe that's what the 17" will accept).

I am going to continue to use my 12" Rev.C for times when I need to take a smaller unit with me (customer calls - it's a lot easier to balance a 12" with an attached bar-code scanner on a grocery cart than a 17", I presume. I am excited about the prospect of having a lot bigger screen - that is the one thing that is a minor issue with my 12".

I do wonder if the new one will come with iLife '04 or '05. After watching Steve Jobs' keynote at Macworld SF, I am very excited about the prospects for that suite of products, iPhoto in particular.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 09:09 AM

Congrats, you'll love it. yes, it can go to 2GB of ram. Likely, it won't have iLife '05 installed but you'll be able to purchase it for a very, very good price. Not sure about iWork but you may also be entitled to a discount on that as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ricacu
Jan 21, 2005, 06:39 PM

mm i think he can get ilife 05 for free, ppl who bought a powerbook on or after january 11 can get a free copy of ilife, how i know this? i bought my Al 15' on January 10. ouch
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 07:22 PM

I dont think its free, but $20 instead....thats what they made me do last year when I bought my PB round this time.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 06:37 PM

Man, that is a monster screen - you don't appreciate how small the 12" is until you have a 17". Got the free 512MB, and will wait to see if I want to upgrade to a full 2GB.

Also figured out I have to pony up $20 ($19.95) to get iLife '05, but that's probably worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules