Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Delayed PowerBook Deliveries

Delayed PowerBook Deliveries
wingnut16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 09:48 AM

Hey does any one have a clue as to why it is taking soooooo long? I order a 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook (upgraded the RAM and HD) about 2 weeks ago. Talked to the store where I ordered it yesterday and the salesmen said it was not slated to ship until mid Feb. Fairly new to the MAC community is this common place or just a one of those things? Right place wrong time!

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by wingnut16:
Hey does any one have a clue as to why it is taking soooooo long? I order a 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook (upgraded the RAM and HD) about 2 weeks ago. Talked to the store where I ordered it yesterday and the salesmen said it was not slated to ship until mid Feb. Fairly new to the MAC community is this common place or just a one of those things? Right place wrong time!
You'll probably wind up getting an updated Powerbook. It's possible new Powerbooks will be announced this coming Tues, from what I've read the current model Powerbook supplies are all dried up so new models are imminent.

JCT
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2005, 10:22 AM

The rumors dashing about are that the powerbooks are scheduled for an update (they're actually a little behind the usual Apple timetable for incremental "bumps").

I am about to purchase a 12" PB as well and I am just waiting for a few weeks to see what might be coming. There are seemingly dozens of threads of speculation about what might be coming, but the bottom line is that no one really knows for sure.

This situation is definitely part of the "Apple" experience (I switched this past year myself). They tend not to pre-announce. The one nice thing is that they tend to be very cool about upgrading your order if something new is released.

So, there's probably a good chance that your PB will have slightly better specs than the one you ordered and maybe even a lower price.

Good luck and enjoy it when it arrives.

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

RonnieoftheRose
Jan 28, 2005, 10:35 AM

I'm thinking of buying a 12" too. My 17" is cumbersome. I had the 867Mhz 12" but it ran too hot. Now it looks tempting, faster, cheaper and cooler.

JoshXotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 10:56 AM

I just ordered a 12" eight (8) days ago, and no word on a shipping date. BTO with HD changes only.

This will be the first Mac I have used. I am going to be researching the possibility of the 12" as an alternative to a PC for our well traveled execs. Wish me luck... Anyone who has done the same thing, I would love to hear from you.
Life begins at 600rwhp.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 10:57 AM

I checked with my local CompUSA last night and the cool Apple rep guy with whom I've chatted before said he's completely out of all models of PowerBooks and that he even sold the floor model 15" SuperDrive PB a day ago. He said *HE* was hoping for new models on Tuesday. I guess something is up...

I told him I love the new models but I'm not upgrading from my TiBook until something compelling comes along or my AppleCare runs out (I still have a year on it).

Voch

JCT
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2005, 10:58 AM

I actually adore my 17" PB, I bring it back and forth to work daily (except for today because it is 8 deg F outside ).

My business trips are usually long enough that I want the 17" so I can do visual work on the road, but lately I have started taking some shorter weekend trips and I try to bring minimal gear..in that case, tossing a 12" in my carry on makes more sense.

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by JCT:
I actually adore my 17" PB, I bring it back and forth to work daily (except for today because it is 8 deg F outside ).

My business trips are usually long enough that I want the 17" so I can do visual work on the road, but lately I have started taking some shorter weekend trips and I try to bring minimal gear..in that case, tossing a 12" in my carry on makes more sense.

JT
I had both the 15" and 17" Powerbooks (1.33ghz and 1.5ghz) and just sold them. I'm hoping the new Powerbooks ship with at least a 5400rpm HD, I found the 4200rpm HD in my Powerbooks too slow.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by JCT:
I take mine to work and back most days, and it's 30 below here (that's celsius, no idea what that is in Fahrenheit). Oh and I go by foot, not car.

The 12" is my pride and joy. Since getting it over a year ago it has been my main (actually my only) computer. I've taken it all over the world with me, it has served me really well. I'm so glad I opted for the 12" and not the 15", it hasn't let me down.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 01:48 PM

This happened to me with the purchase of my iBook. I ordered it last October - right around the time they were about to update. Apple held my order for a week with no response and then all of a sudden my online order receipt showed the updated model for $100 less (retail). I was actually so excited I drove 2 hours to fedEx station to pick it up. The weekend was coming and I couldn't wait 3 days for my first Mac.

wingnut16  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 03:07 PM

I hope that it is an update(rev d), that would be sweet! But it is always hard to wait for a new computer.

JoshXotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 06:12 PM

PA and DE Apple stores had everything in stock, but stock is said to be low...
Life begins at 600rwhp.

t500
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2005, 06:33 PM

About a year ago I was talking to the Manager and CompUSA store about getting a deal on an Open Box 1.42G4. The next day the Orgional DP G5 1.8's came out. When I arrived to the store I jumped on the G5..

While we were chatting I asked if he knew the new model was coming out. His exact response was, Apple tells the retail chains nothing and he just found out the night prior when the boxes were delivered.

I bet this is just Apples way of keeping us on the edge of our seats. No matter what comes out, Or if I see a price drop I'm upgrading my 867 12incher....

Can't wait till Tuesday

mawsdz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 10:03 PM

What do you think. I currently have a 15" 867mhz PB with a combo drive, 60gig HD, 512mb RAM and am looking to upgrade to a 17" PB. I use my laptop for just about everything (threw the PC in the garage a year ago). I'm debating whether or not to replace my laptop with a 17" PB or replace my laptop with a 12" PB and replace my wife's iMac g3 with an iMac G5 (2 puters vs 1 17"). I've kind of fallen in love with that little 12", it's so tempting and would be nice to just throw it in my bag. However, I'm really really concerned about the resolution. I do quite a bit of computing that requires to windows to be open at the same time. What do you 12" people do to deal with that? I don't have a desk at home to throw an external monitor on, it would sit on my kitchen table. Maybe they will upgrade the res. on the 12" models with this bump. or possibly a completely redesigned 12 or 13" widescreen G4 DC model or something...fantastic!

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2005, 11:10 PM

I'm a heavy computer user - I use my 12" to edit photos, edit video, watch movies, create Office documents, you name it. Although I have a desktop machine, I haven't used it in over a year. I use the 12" all the time. It's absolutely fine. Apple-tab and Expos� mean that working in multiple windows at the same time is not a problem with the 12". I say go for it, you won't regret it. Especially if you're going to have another desktop machine as backup (you may find you hardly ever use it). I had the same doubts as you before finally deciding on the 12", but now I'm so glad I did, I don't regret it at all.

wingnut16  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 02:09 AM

I was on the fence about the size of PB until I went to CompUSA and checked them out. I am a college student and need something that is very portable and has some power. The 15" and 17" felt a little large for my needs, but I am hoping that this is an upgrade and it has something to do with processor speed and/or memory both video and system. Tiger would be nice but not a necessity. A rev a G5, all be it nice is not something I need and as stated in another thread waiting for a rev b might be a good idea. I am looking forward to Tues as well.

Fiete5401
Jan 30, 2005, 08:56 AM

I'm sitting on the fence since September.
I'll upgrade from a rev. a 12"PB to a sweet 17"-beast.
My girlfriend already prays for the next rev. She can no longer life with this nervous guy writing this post.
My real life started at the age of 15: LC III - PowerMac 6100/66 - PowerMac B&W 350 - PowerMac G4 Cube 500 - PowerBook 12" 867 -- PowerBook 17"/1.67 GHz/2 GB RAM.

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by JoshXotic:
I just ordered a 12" eight (8) days ago, and no word on a shipping date. BTO with HD changes only.

This will be the first Mac I have used. I am going to be researching the possibility of the 12" as an alternative to a PC for our well traveled execs. Wish me luck... Anyone who has done the same thing, I would love to hear from you.
I did the same thing last May; I am out of the office a ton, and usually in a place where I need a laptop. After looking at other models (my old notebook was a Gateway, and we now purchase mostly Dells for the office), I decided to throw caution to the wind and purchase a Rev.C 12" with Virtual PC - I have to use it b/c of the proprietary software our parent companies require - and I haven't looked back since. Great performance, very portable, and cool looking to boot. I attended a class in September where we were required to bring our notebooks, and I had more envious looks from other colleagues who were trucking around these 10lb. animals. It is light, easy to get through airport security, and doesn't take up much room in your bag.

I just bought a second PB - a 17" - because of the screen size - I still plan to use my 12" extensively, just not at my desk as much.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 11:12 AM

So if you're a bit of a gambler, here is what you do: Order a new Powerbook on Monday. Then, if the new Powerbooks are cheaper, you'll be price protected. But if the new Powerbook are more expensive, you'll be upgraded at no extra charge.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules