Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > randomly turning off when supposed to sleep

randomly turning off when supposed to sleep
mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 11:36 PM

Several times this past week when I've closed my PB lid to take to work, I've noticed that the unit does not go to sleep, but rather turns off.

This has been happening maybe 1 in 5 times I put it to sleep. Last month it never happened before.

Is there something going on I should be aware of or can fix?

Also, I don't know if it's my eyes or not, but my PB screen seems much brighter after the reboot.
MBP 1.83

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 11:50 PM

Does it turn off, or does it turn itself back on while closed and run the battery down? That happens to me once in a while on my 12".

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 12:11 AM

Yeah, it seems most likely that the computer is discharging its battery fully and then shutting down. That's happened to me before, too.

Another possibility comes to my mind from the PC world: sometimes PC laptops that are made of plastic would have a problem where they would age and warp subtly, and then the battery contacts wouldn't always be aligned. But then you'd see this problem happen at other times, such as when you move the laptop, not just when you close the lid.

So yeah, I bet it's just not going to sleep at those times and merily consuming power.

ibook_steve
Feb 8, 2005, 01:36 AM

Are you sure you are putting the machine to sleep? Make sure the sleep LED is pulsing before you put the machine in your bag and that the lid is latched securely. Chances are it isn't the battery contact.

Steve

mhuie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 09:08 AM

After closing the lid, it is not asleep. The LED isn't pulsing. I've then opened it back up and it will not respond to any input. I have to use the power button and it starts up (from the boot process).
MBP 1.83

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by mhuie:
After closing the lid, it is not asleep. The LED isn't pulsing. I've then opened it back up and it will not respond to any input. I have to use the power button and it starts up (from the boot process).
I've seen that as well on my rev B 12" PowerBook with 10.3.7.

I have the suspicion that it has to do with the no-wake-after-sleep bug that somehow got introduced with an Panther update - I guess 10.3.4, .5 or .6.

There is more information on this bug and its symptoms in this thread. And then I just found this other thread that also sounds like the same problem.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 09:48 AM

try "zapping" the pram (hold down command-option-P-R on startup, hold these keys until your mac chimes 3 times, then let it finish booting)

if no help, try resetting the power manager...

unplug the pb, take out the battery.

push option-control-shift & the power key, for one second only.

put back the battery, plug in the ac, startup.

if you get the window telling you the clock needs to be reset, you've done it.

see if that helps.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2005, 11:11 AM

fisherKing, up to now several users with the no-wake bug have tried these procedures, but they do not completely remove the problem. I'm afraid what we really need is that Apple delivers a bug fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules