Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you have a security system at home?

Do you have a security system at home?
alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 03:10 PM

I'm curious. How many people have a security system at home, and is their stuff really more protected with it. If so, what type and what are your thoughts on having one?

Does it make more sense to have it professionally monitored, or are there better (and cheaper) options?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 03:27 PM

We do. We have the whole nine yards (well, no motion sensors, they're pointless): glass break, fire alarms, entry alarms, etc.

Is it safer? I don't know -- no one's ever broken into any of our homes. Of course, we also have a little sign that states our home is "professionally" monitored, so if I was a crook, I'd avoid those houses.

When we go on vacation, I like knowing that as soon a sensor goes off (zone or fire, any of them), the monitoring station will jump into action and tale acre of things.

I also like knowing that I can set my alarms and sleep -- knowing that if anyone tries to get in, our siren will go off and wake me up.

Lastly, I like knowing that when I'm away from home while my wife stays, she can feel secure knowing that if someone tries to get in, the alarm will notify her no matter where she is in the house.

As for monitoring, they make crappy systems you can buy at Wal-Mart that squeal and stuff, but if it's not tied to the local Police Dept, I don't see the point.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 03:55 PM

I used to have a really good security system. It was called Retired-bank-security-guard-with-a-legal-handgun-who-lives-downstairs-and-gazes-out-his-front-window-all-the-time.
I highly recommend it.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 04:08 PM

I am going to install a wireless web camera by my entrance that captures movement and uploads it to a web server. That way at least I have a picture of em.

Everyone just ignores those loud alarms.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by alligator:
I'm curious. How many people have a security system at home, and is their stuff really more protected with it. If so, what type and what are your thoughts on having one?
And if you don't, where do you live and what time do you leave for and get back from work?
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

James L
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I am going to install a wireless web camera by my entrance that captures movement and uploads it to a web server. That way at least I have a picture of em.

Everyone just ignores those loud alarms.
Actually, not entirely true.

I have lived in townhouse complexes, close subdivisions, etc. If a house alarm goes off at 3 in the morning you can bet your butt someone would be phoning or looking out the windows.

Alarms are so cheap nowadays it doesn't really make much sense not too have one. Plus, on top of the low cost, you get a discount on your house insurance!

I agree with the above poster who mentioned the peace of mind factor. I know that when I am asleep, or when I am working nights and the mrs. is asleep, that no one is getting in without us knowing about it. Is it going to stop them if they are determined... of course not. It is going to wake us up before they are standing over our bed with a bat though. It will call the cops too if I can't for some reason.

Also, if something happens when I am away from the house I will know instantly if some **** rat breaks into my house as I will get a call instantly telling me it is going off, what zone it is in, etc. If I get home and I haven't had a call then I know the house is probably in one peice and I am not about to walk into any surprises!

Alarms alone aren't enough of a deterant though. You should always have great lighting outside of your house, and no shrubs, trees, etc right near the doors that **** rats could hide in.

Finally, a dog that will bark loudly at noise outside of the house in the middle of the night is always a good thing!

Cheers,

James

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 04:55 PM

What about those types that call your cell phone with a pre-recorded message? Then you could call the police yourself.

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Actually, not entirely true.

I have lived in townhouse complexes, close subdivisions, etc. If a house alarm goes off at 3 in the morning you can bet your butt someone would be phoning or looking out the windows.
That's nice but almost all robberies happen during the day when people are at work.

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 05:10 PM

Yes. If anyone has USAA - they have great deals (we got ours installed for free with a 2 year monitoring subscription. And it comes with everything you can think of - including fire and CO). Personally, I think if you are going to have it, you should have it professionally monitored. But do check with your local PD to see if they have any regulations on home systems. We have to register our system every year with the police department ($50 fee). They keep track of calls. You have two 'free' false alarms. After that, they rape you for answering a bogus call (I believe $500 for the 3rd, and $1000 for each additional). I have no problem against that "feature"... but I know many that do.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 07:20 PM

I have a wireless system I installed myself, as they're uncommon here and very expensive. We move house every 3-4 years and I can take the whole system with me. As there is no monitoring available here, I have it set up to call my cell phone, so at least I can get some notice if there's a break in and get home fairly quickly or call my neighbour who has our spare keys.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 07:40 PM

I have a lock on my door. Beat that.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
I have a lock on my door. Beat that.
I live in a safe neighborhood.

Adopt-A-Yankee

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:52 PM

In the house I just lost, i never used a key. I had one, but we never locked the door.

In this rental, the key stays outside, and we never lock the house, it's a hassle. Come on over

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 09:02 PM

Yes, I do.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by MountainMac:

Yes, I do.
Cool, do you hook it up to a robot when you are not home?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 09:07 PM

You have a gun. How badass.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 09:08 PM

Nope, no need to.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 09:08 PM

Locks don't do a hell of a lot of good, they're nice to have but someone could always throw a brick through the window..

However I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone break in THAT easily. Locks and stuff like that are just things that give you a little extra time if someone's determined.. to get your attention and wake the **** up.

If you're out.. then be happy. At least nobody's around to get hurt!
Aloha

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Cool, do you hook it up to a robot when you are not home?
Yeah, I have a handfull of those, but you have to be home, and have the drop on the intruder.

And with kids in the house, fumbling around with the safe for the handgun, or getting the rifles out of the closet, then the ammunition out of the safe, well, I'd be better off to smack him with my pillow.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 09:18 PM

Sure do. Gotta keep all my computer hardware safe

Forum Links
Forum Rules