Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Move iTunes collection to powerbook?

Move iTunes collection to powerbook?
jlhopwo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 06:20 PM

I just bought a new 15" Ultimate, my first Mac!

I have about 25G of music on my desktop PC iTunes, synced of course to a PC formated 40G G3 iPod.

Is there any reason, or is it even possible to switch all of this over to my PB? Are there features that I am not getting on the PC that would become enables with using iTunes and syncing the iPod on the PB?

Thanks!

Jonathan

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 06:26 PM

I don't know what benefits you'll see but I do know that there are lots of backup ipod software floating around. Use one of them to create a backup copy of your ipod on your PB hard drive and your set. I'd have my music backed up if I were you and having it on two machines isn't a bad way of backing it up (especially 25gigs worth). Or atleast burn a couple DVD's for backup.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by jlhopwo:

I have about 25G of music on my desktop PC iTunes, synced of course to a PC formated 40G G3 iPod.

Is there any reason, or is it even possible to switch all of this over to my PB? Are there features that I am not getting on the PC that would become enables with using iTunes and syncing the iPod on the PB?

Thanks!

Jonathan
There is a good program called (I think) PodWorks that allows you to move music FROM your iPod to a Mac. By default, the iPod only allows music to move into it, to keep you from pirating music to everyone under the sun. This program will pull the music off the iPod into a folder of your choosing, and I believe it keeps all your song settings, info, etc.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 12:37 PM

I don't know if the above mentioned app is the one I'm thinking of, but I do know there is an app out there that puts all your songs from your iPod to your Mac HD. If your going to pull songs off one playlist at a time, I'd use Senuti. It has the best UI of any other apps that accomplish this task, and looks almost identical to iTunes, really nice.....and free.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2005, 05:53 PM

Congrats! Welcome!

iTunes on the PC works the same was as iTunes on your PowerBook. The only reasons I'd see in moving them over to the PowerBook is if you don't plan on using the PC anymore, or you want your music available to you while you're mobile and the iPod is with you.

Seeing as plain ol' IDE drives are much cheaper than PowerBook drives (and you don't have to void a warranty in upgrading them), I think leaving them on your PC, assuming the PC stays, is your better choice.

I keep all my music on my Windows Server since it's up 24/7, serves filespace to the rest of the home network anyway, and my PowerBook simply doesn't have the necessary space to house all the files (100+ GB of music).

Having said that, if you're set on copying the music over to the PowerBook, you can either do what others have said - use third party software to copy the music off of your iPod, or just share your Windows drive over to the PowerBook and Drag & Drop to the PowerBook drive, then add them to iTunes.

jlhopwo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by jpg71:
Congrats! Welcome!

iTunes on the PC works the same was as iTunes on your PowerBook. The only reasons I'd see in moving them over to the PowerBook is if you don't plan on using the PC anymore, or you want your music available to you while you're mobile and the iPod is with you.

Seeing as plain ol' IDE drives are much cheaper than PowerBook drives (and you don't have to void a warranty in upgrading them), I think leaving them on your PC, assuming the PC stays, is your better choice.

I keep all my music on my Windows Server since it's up 24/7, serves filespace to the rest of the home network anyway, and my PowerBook simply doesn't have the necessary space to house all the files (100+ GB of music).

Having said that, if you're set on copying the music over to the PowerBook, you can either do what others have said - use third party software to copy the music off of your iPod, or just share your Windows drive over to the PowerBook and Drag & Drop to the PowerBook drive, then add them to iTunes.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, the PC is staying, so it does make sense to keep the tunes there. Maybe there's a way to wirelessly access them from my pc!

Sculli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 03:44 AM

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the PC is staying, so it does make sense to keep the tunes there. Maybe there's a way to wirelessly access them from my pc!
G'mornin'......!

I'm a new PB owner and am wondering whether to do this myself.

If you go into iTunes>Preferences>Sharing on your PC you can choose to "Share your music" and give your PC a name. If you are wirelessly connected, this name will magically appear in the sidebar of iTunes on your PB.

I don't think that you can use this to burn CDs of songs on your PC via your PB, but it's a pretty clever feature none-the-less.

If you want to actually transfer music, you can do this wirelessly too, although it isn't as quick as physically connecting the two machines. It's easy enough to do, although I am having a problem making the newly imported songs appear in the library without opening them in Finder first - which will be a real drag for 100s of albums.

In fact.... moving music is the only reason I've needed to turn on my PC in the 2 weeks I've had my PB so I can almost certainly predict that it won't be here for much longer!!

Have fun.....

Sculli

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 11:43 AM

I'm not sure what you mean - you want to access your iTunes library on your PC to be played on your PowerBook wirelessly?

Assuming the PC and the PowerBook are on the same Wireless network, this is as easy as turning on the option to share your iTunes library on the PC. The PowerBook will then see an additional top level entry in its iTunes as "jlhopwo's Music" which you can then browse and play.

This is exactly what I've got set up at my house - a Windows server that houses all music locally, iTunes running with its library shared, and all other computers in the house running iTunes but accessing the shared library.

For non-iTunes devices (tivo, for example), I just have the music folder shared via Windows file sharing.

jlhopwo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by jpg71:
I'm not sure what you mean - you want to access your iTunes library on your PC to be played on your PowerBook wirelessly?

Assuming the PC and the PowerBook are on the same Wireless network, this is as easy as turning on the option to share your iTunes library on the PC. The PowerBook will then see an additional top level entry in its iTunes as "jlhopwo's Music" which you can then browse and play.

This is exactly what I've got set up at my house - a Windows server that houses all music locally, iTunes running with its library shared, and all other computers in the house running iTunes but accessing the shared library.

For non-iTunes devices (tivo, for example), I just have the music folder shared via Windows file sharing.
Thanks, I set up iTunes on the pc to share, and have the tunes cranking over the wireless to my powerbook! Neat! And I have an iPod for music on the go.

Thanks again!

Leo the 3rd
Mar 17, 2005, 02:58 PM

Thanks, I set up iTunes on the pc to share, and have the tunes cranking over the wireless to my powerbook! Neat! And I have an iPod for music on the go.

Thanks again!
And if you ever decide to no longer use the PC then you can get a nice external firewire drive (or even a combo Firewire/USB) and put your music storage there. Much greater space for storing that great music collection and you can get iTunes to easily see that external music library - It's currently how I'm handling my music collection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules