Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > favorite place to get a hamburger/cheeseburger?

favorite place to get a hamburger/cheeseburger?
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 04:44 PM

i searched for threads about this but they were all in the archives so...today the wife and i went to Culver's and i got a double cheeseburger - or as they call them Butterburgers. this wasnt the first time i have eaten a "butterburger" but damn they are good...then i ruined it all by reading a little booklet on the nutrition facts of all their food...i should be having a heart attack any second now. where do you like to get a hamburger/cheeseburger. besides Culver's I like a few local places and of course making my own.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2005, 04:46 PM

Barney's.

Although Bistro Burger's Paris Burger is incredibly good (sauteed onions and mushrooms smothered in brie).

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 04:57 PM

Culvers rocks.

-Owl

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 04:58 PM

Den Sorte Gryde.

It's a local place (I think there are three of them, all in Copenhagen, and one of them is a couple of blocks from there), and they make the best burgers ever.

First off, they're absolutely humongous. One of those and you're completely stuffed, no matter how hungry you were before. Most of my (female) friends can't eat a whole one. I of course always get the veggie ones, which have lettuce, tomato, cheese, feta cheese, sun-dried tomato, jalape�o, onion and pickle in them (also olives normally, but I don't take those). And then of course the dressing: ketchup (good ketchup, not the cheap stuff) and some kind of cr�me fra�che-based dressing that's outrageously good. The standard non-veggie ones that my friends usually get also have a steak in them (good, lean meat, freshly made steaks, and very big ones at that: probably about half a pound steaks). I can't blame them for not being able to finish one, what with all that meat in them. I probably wouldn't be able to either, had I not been a vegetarian.

Best of all, price: 39 DKr (for mine), 45 DKr (for theirs). (Somewhere around $7, which is very cheap. It's what we pay for a medium size McDonald's menu, which has like one fourth of the amount of food that these burgers do)

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 05:02 PM

My favorite big chain is Fuddruckers. Great buns and good quality meat. My favorite local chain (DC area) is Five Guys. Only downside is their portions are obscene and one ends up feeling gross, but they taste awesome and the price is great.

The best burger I has recently was at a little "English Pub" in Des Moines, IA (was there on business, admit it, you are all seething with jealousy). The meat was seasoned in the most amazing way. They wouldn't tell me what they used, and I couldn't identify it, but it was fantastic. If anyone is genuinely interested, I'll dig out the receipt and let you know the name of the place.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 05:07 PM

The best burger I've ever had in Chicago was at Hackney's.

http://www.hackneysprintersrow.net/

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 05:26 PM

I'm going to have to say Fuddruckers has the best burger I've had. Burgers range from 1/3 lbs. to a full pound and are all made fresh after you order. They have an onsite butchershop too. They also have tons of toppings. Great stuff.

ghporter
Administrator
May 4, 2005, 05:43 PM

Mad Dog and Bean, just off "the drag" in Austin. Of course that was about 20 years ago, and the place is gone. Sadness

The second-best burgers I ever had were at any Air Force bowling alley. I've sampled the eats at five different bases, and they were all very similar: enough grease to clog a bystander's arteries, but they were always hot, properly cooked, and just great!

Today, Fudruckers is pretty good, but it depends a lot on what restaurant you go to. The one closest to me has been pretty inconsistent lately, so I don't go there as much.

Edit:I almost forgot Sonic! They're really good, but I go there for the tots!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 05:59 PM

P.J. Clarke's.

Gold Coast.

Chicago.

Yummy.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Edit:I almost forgot Sonic! They're really good, but I go there for the tots!
Heh, I like how Sonic advertises everywhere, even when they don't have a restaurant there. I occassionally see ads here in the SF Bay Area, but as far as I know the nearest Sonic is about an hour away. Same was true when I was at school in Minnesota. I've always seen Sonic ads on tv, but I've only ever actually seen a Sonic (and eaten at one) once when I was in Texas.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 06:04 PM

As far as chains are concerned, Fuddrockers, then Hardee's.

-t

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 06:09 PM

If we're going by chains then Fuddrucker's is good, but Red Robin is my favorite.

If you want an individual place, though, then without a doubt it has to go to a tiny place in Front Royal, VA, called the FOX Diner. Best burgers I've ever had, hands down and bar none.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 08:41 PM

Ken's Diner in Skokie Illinois.
Just ask for a Burger Buddy.

Its not cheap, but kosher meat never is. I highly recommend all you Chicagoans try it out.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kens+d...37023166&hl=en
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 08:46 PM

The White Spot

and

Conway's Red Top.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon

faragbre967
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 08:50 PM

For fast food either BK or Rallys. Local diner: Kind of a toss up, as long as theres beer its good.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:08 PM

The best chain burger:

http://www.in-n-out.com/freshness.asp

Keoki's in Poipu, Kauai makes a great burger. The best burger I've ever had though was at the Marriott Fiji in Denerau Island. Triple decker with cabbage, pickled beets, sweet thai chili BBQ sauce, American cheese, onion, tomato, and some other good stuff. Yum.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 09:08 PM

Corner Bistro in the village. Big fat yummy dead cow goodness. Mmmmmm.

For a chain joint, In and Out Burger. I really wish we had one locally, I'd dig a Double Double right about now.
Nemo me impune lacesset

jersey
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 11:45 PM

swensons drive in, in n.e. ohio.

the burgers were voted #1 in the us by forbes mag.

they are indded good enough to fight for.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Barney's.

Whenever I want a really good gourmet burger, this is the place I go.

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
The best chain burger:

http://www.in-n-out.com/freshness.asp

If I want to get a really good, regular hamburger, this is the place I go.

If I'm back home in LA, I either go to In-N-Out or Tommy's. Tommy's is just as good as In-N-Out, but they give you the option to put chilli on anything you want. Chilli cheese fries, mmmmm, yum, yum

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 12:16 AM

Hardee's MONSTER burger.

YUM

like 2 lbs of beef (or whatever ground up animal they are using that day), a quarter lb of bacon, mayo & cheese on a bun.

YUM

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy

Culvers rocks.

-Owl
You've never had a burger til you've had a double butterburger deluxe.
Oh yea, try a carmel cashew while you're there. Too bad it's still pretty regional (started in Wisconsin and it seems to be mainly spreading North/South not East/West)

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 01:59 AM

mmmm....culvers. i havent had one of those burgers in such a long time, i almost forgot what that place was called. the custard is great as well

anyways, in-n-out is where i go for a good cheeseburger (or 3x3 or 4x4). they might not be the best burgers ever, but they are always amazing and always fresh. in-n-out gets my vote every time!
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2005, 02:23 AM

I've been all around the world and have eaten burgers at every stop. Best burger, hands down, was from List's pool hall in Yankton, South Dakota. Of course the sexy biker waitress that served the burgers complemented the overall experience.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 02:35 AM

OMG. This is going to be my all-time favorite thread! Can we have a sticky?

OK, when it comes to hamburger chains, it's gonna have to be BK. If anybody here mentions McD or Wendy's, I'll kick his ass.

When it comes to real burger places, I always liked Oscar's back when I was living in the Bay Area.

Now, the real challenge is to find a good burger place in Europe or Japan. In Japan it would have to be MOS Burger (MOS = mountain, ocean, sun - check out this totally japanese way of calling a burger joint).

Another great burger place, although it's more like a fast food joint, is Becker's Burgers close to Tokyo's Akihabara station. Great cheeseburgers, damn.

In Europe the best burger place I have ever been to is a tiny joint called Sesam Burger in Trondheim, Norway. Actually the burger place is just a little stand built into the front side of the university's student center. The place was founded by an arab guy some twenty years ago and now it's known throughout Norway thanks to the university grads that spread the joint's reputation across the country. I have hardly ever had such a smooth burger in my life. It goes down like melted butter and tastes great. Only problem, get those napkins ready, because the grease is going to be gushing out of there once you take your first bite.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 02:46 AM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
P.J. Clarke's.

Gold Coast.

Chicago.

Yummy.
I go to brunch there on Sundays a lot because its within walking distance and the other breakfast places around here have huge lines but for burgers, not even close. The Lettucentertainyou restaurants are good but for non-specialized food like that they are pretty average.

If I am forced to walk for a burger from here there's only one place. The Billy Goat Tavern.

Originally Posted by waxcrash
The best burger I've ever had in Chicago was at Hackney's.
Good burgers but they are too far a departure from what I feel a traditional one should be. If it has rye its a patty melt in my book. If you kids are up for a drive head on down to the south side. Top Notch Burgers is amazing and then you can go to Rainbowcone for dessert.

For a sloppy diner burger though, I like Busy Burger on Taylor St.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Just ask for a Burger Buddy.

Its not cheap, but kosher meat never is. I highly recommend all you Chicagoans try it out.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kens+d...37023166&hl=en
Stupid Skokie and its even stupider smoking ordinances. Friggin Jacks isn't 24 hours anymore. I wash my hands of the entire suburb just for that.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 03:28 AM

Fast Eddie's. Good excuse for a small road trip.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Stupid Skokie and its even stupider smoking ordinances. Friggin Jacks isn't 24 hours anymore. I wash my hands of the entire suburb just for that.
I understand that ordinance doesn't make you happy, but I love it. Anyway that's a discussion for the nether region of the lounge.

ManofSteal: When where you at Ken's? Have you been there many times? Also, if you don't keep kosher how about a comment or two on how it stacks up against the non-kosher options mentioned here.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 04:07 AM

[QUOTE=SSharon]I understand that ordinance doesn't make you happy, but I love it. /QUOTE]

I don�t smoke so it doesn�t effect me.
But I would assume it angered the business owners who know that a significant portion of their clientele is comprised of smokers. It should have been left for them to decide on an individual basis if it was a policy that they wanted instituted in their businesses.

Given the proximity to the city they are just hurting places like Jacks which had a reputation as being great place to congregate late night. Now less money is being generated in taxes, by the business, and by the employees they probably had to fire because they could not justify keeping it open late.

Smart move not putting in stipulations for the ban to only be in effect during reasonable business hours where families would be present in these restaurants. I am sure you often take your 8 year old out for pie and coffee at 4 AM.

RonnieoftheRose
May 5, 2005, 04:10 AM

Home

RonnieoftheRose
May 5, 2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Now, the real challenge is to find a good burger place in Europe
You might want to try a place called Hamburg, although I doubt you'll find that steroid and glue-comatose filled nonsense Yanks eat there.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Smart move not putting in stipulations for the ban to only be in effect during reasonable business hours where families would be present in these restaurants. I am sure you often take your 8 year old out for pie and coffee at 4 AM.
I really can't argue with that. Assuming an establishment has proper ventilation, etc. I would accept the argument that smoking should be allowed from 10pm - 5am or whatever. At least for now. I used to go to school next door to Jacks so I am aware of the financial hit they took from the ordinance. It is a bit too difficult to add up the money saved by the healthcare system and such and whether it outweighs the loss Jacks has incurred.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 05:54 AM

For fast food I like Burger King first, then A&W and Harvys is good too. For none fast food Joey Tomatos has the best of anything
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2005, 09:15 AM

I notice nobody's mentioned White Castle...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
If we're going by chains then Fuddrucker's is good, but Red Robin is my favorite.

If you want an individual place, though, then without a doubt it has to go to a tiny place in Front Royal, VA, called the FOX Diner. Best burgers I've ever had, hands down and bar none.
The FOX diner for burgers?!?

I always eat a humungous carb-filled breakfast there before hiking in Shenandoah. I'll have to try one of their burgers post-hike when my legs fellow like jello and I am jonesing for protein.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I notice nobody's mentioned White Castle...

A Culvers opened up near me about 6 months ago. Haven't been there yet.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 09:57 AM

Now, the real challenge is to find a good burger place in Europe
In France when I want a good burger, I make it myself. You can get excellent burger patties, buns, ketchup and everything at the supermarket. At the end of the day, frying a burger and throwing it on a toasted bun, with some toppings is pretty damn easy/quick.

Otherwise don't bother with places like MacDo and the Quick (what we got here), it's all garbage.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
Otherwise don't bother with places like MacDo and the Quick (what we got here), it's all garbage.
Ah, Quick. How could I have forgotten? Horrible place. Last time I went to one was in Strasbourg (great city btw). Amazing, Quick is like a French copy of McD, but just as bad. What I found rather interesting is that although McD in France is much more expensive than in the US, Quick wasn't noticeably cheaper. No idea how they survive next to the golden arches giant.
( Last edited by Simon; May 5, 2005 at 10:12 AM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 10:18 AM

Quick is like a French copy of McD
Belgian, actually. But yeah it sucks ass.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 10:28 AM

Cheeseburger in Paradise.

The only burgers I eat. I may have been swayed to eat hamburgers again only because the restaurant plays Jimmy Buffett.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Heh, I like how Sonic advertises everywhere, even when they don't have a restaurant there.
I know what you mean, I couldn't tell you where the closest Sonic is but we get their ads on TV all the time. Somewhat off topic but the same is true for Circuit City ads. We don't have one even close but they advertise here constantly.

For everybody who says Fudruckers is their favorite burger don't come here. Ours has only been open for a couple of months but everybody I know who has been there has said that it was awful. Bad service, burned/raw burgers, soggy buns, and way overpriced.

Support your locally owned restaurant/bar/pub. If you are ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in Davenport get on over to Pat McGuire's. Guinness on tap and the best burgers in the Quad Cities.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 11:15 AM

nickw311
Senior User
May 5, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by LeftWingLock
Support your locally owned restaurant/bar/pub. If you are ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in Davenport get on over to Pat McGuire's. Guinness on tap and the best burgers in the Quad Cities.
Thats the philosophy I run on also... I like supporting small local businesses.
27" iMac C2D

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 11:26 AM

The best burger I've personally ever had is the "Tons of Fun" burger at the Cheesecake Factory w/ bacon.

Finished off w/ a slice of Tuxedo Cheesecake w/ 1 scoop of vanilla and 1 scoop of coffee ice cream. <--best $9 you can spend.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 11:32 AM

Five Guys are really good. They are a small business -- the five guys are a dad and his sons. Their specialty seems to be opening up right next door to the big chains, and then taking their business away.

They started out in a Washington, DC suburb. But I notice they seem to be forming quite a little chain.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 11:45 AM

Some of the best burgers are those I grind myself -- only way to be really safe and have nice pink on the inside without spending a fortune. I like my burgers thick and juicy.

In 'n' Out made good fast food burgers, but I haven't eaten there in a decade.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Five Guys are really good. They are a small business -- the five guys are a dad and his sons. Their specialty seems to be opening up right next door to the big chains, and then taking their business away.

They started out in a Washington, DC suburb. But I notice they seem to be forming quite a little chain.
Oh, yeah; I forgot about them. They really are good.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 12:19 PM

Without a doubt, the best burger I have ever had: http://www.johnnyrockets.com/index2.php

I prefer the location on East 8th street, Manhattan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules