Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPod: Charge and Play Simultaneously?

iPod: Charge and Play Simultaneously?
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 01:43 PM

Cross-posted since no one visits the iPod forum.

Anyway, I want to be able to play my iPod in my truck via my truck's built-in AUX-IN and charge it at the same time. Is there something that will do both without me having to use an FM transmitter or the crappy headphone out?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

Sik imp

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=149006

i have one, no complaints other than the first one i had the cable kinda separated from the dock connector. they were good about replacing it though.

edit: radio shack has a double male 1/8" ended wire that's about a foot long. think it's like $5. don't know how far your lighter is from your aux in though.
( Last edited by d4nth3m4n; Aug 2, 2006 at 02:12 PM. )

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=149006

i have one, no complaints other than the first one i had the cable kinda separated from the dock connector. they were good about replacing it though.
We have two, one in each car, and they both work flawlessly
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 06:28 PM

I use the Belkin thing as well and it works great. I've had mine for about 3 years now.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 06:48 PM

Belkin Coupon code: 12345
I found it a while ago and it always seems to work, sometimes even upto 50% off.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 08:50 PM

Posted this over in the appropriate thread, too:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer...r.asp?pin=2132

also, I have a splitter adapter that will split out the line out and the Firewire connector from the Dock port - I'm sure there's some variant out there that will split out to a USB connector instead that you can then connect to a standard USB car charger.

Edit: Here's the one I have.

Here's one that will do USB and audio

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 09:15 PM

The Belkin thing looks like it requires an FM transmitter or a cassette -- I want to go straight into my truck's onboard 1/8 aux-in.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
The Belkin thing looks like it requires an FM transmitter or a cassette -- I want to go straight into my truck's onboard 1/8 aux-in.
uh, kinda. it has a mini headphone jack on the part that goes into the cig lighter. from there you can get a short headphone cord (with tow male ends) and run that to your aux in. i don't think you're going to do any better than that given your parameters.

the FM transmitter and the cassette dealies would plug into that headphone jack.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 11:02 PM

Yeah, that's all I need: 2 male 1/8. I'm using that right now, from the headphone jack into my truck. It's my understanding, though, that I can grab the audio from the dock port for better quality -- and that's the source I'm assuming the Belkin unit uses. Right?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 11:29 PM

yeah, it gets audio through the dock connector. basically a line out. but there IS a volume knob at the end with the headphone jack as well, so it's not a true line out. all that connects to your ipod is the dock connector.

honestly though just buy it, it's what you're looking for. at least it SOUNDS like what you're looking for.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I use the Belkin thing as well and it works great . . .

Me too!

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 03:54 PM

Got one ordered today -- no one in town sold that model.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 06:16 PM

Got one ordered today -- no one in town sold that model.
Maury, if you want I can take a picture of my setup. Mine uses the same Belkin model you ordered with the one foot cord from Radio Shack. Works great.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:37 PM

From what everyone says, I'll just use the same 2-ended male 1/8 cable I've been using (going from my iPod headphone jack to my truck's aux-in). But sure, feel free to post a pic if you want!

Thanks, everyone!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:57 PM

From what everyone says, I'll just use the same 2-ended male 1/8 cable I've been using (going from my iPod headphone jack to my truck's aux-in). But sure, feel free to post a pic if you want!

Thanks, everyone!
can we get this man a picture?

here-

see what i circled? that's a 1/8" jack. you take your cable and hook it in THERE and run that to your trucks aux-in. all that connects to your ipod is the dock connector.

i've always thought of permanently attaching a dock to my dash and hooking the belkin to that. but i never got around to it.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I know all about that -- I ordered one. I thought Person Man may just have a cool pic or something.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 11:19 PM

Yeah, I know all about that -- I ordered one. I thought Person Man may just have a cool pic or something.
Nope. Nothing fancy.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2006, 11:39 PM

Cross posting = BAD. And you got a number of responses in the iPod forum, including one from me. Not as good as d4nth3m4n's find, I'll admit, but you're being hasty or impatient.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 12:54 AM

wrong forum
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules