Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.6 wont install

8.6 wont install
crayboy
May 11, 1999, 03:19 PM

When I try to update from 8.5.1 to 8.6 all goes well until the installer script launches. It then claims that the disk cannot be a destination disk and will not instal! Any ideas? (I've booted "extensions off". The disk has 300Mb free, and 8.5.1 installed)

ydnar1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 1999, 06:05 PM

What are the specs on your system?

huv
May 11, 1999, 06:13 PM

I got the same thing. I suspect it's related to my Adaptec 2940UW Ultra-Wide SCSI adapter since I can install to the stock Apple HD (uses the standard internal SCSI connector) just fine. There is also a note in the 8.6 readme about updating the firmware on Ultra-Wide SCSI adapters. I went to Adaptec's Web site and updated to version 4.1, but it still doesn't work.

------------------
Mike Hulsey

crayboy
May 12, 1999, 01:26 PM

This is a 266Mhz G3. The system disk is a non-apple SCSI on the built in SCSI bus. I also tried updating a backup system folder on the original ATA drive, no joy. I installed fresh 8.5.1 system, finder and system resources, still wont budge.

femoor
May 12, 1999, 02:12 PM

I've had the same problem installing on a new iMac. Brand new machine out of the box running 8.5.1 and the installer script will not allow me to pick the only hard drive installed. It caused the machine to freeze after restarting. i had to reinstall the system folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules