Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > itunes playlisting app/plugin

itunes playlisting app/plugin
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2008, 10:03 PM

I'm looking for a decent itunes playlist creating app or plugin. Is there anything out there? I tried a few and they either create playlists based on BPM (when I want it based on mood and music genre), or they selected 4 or 5 songs I have in my library and then found like 50 songs on amazon music store (I don't want to buy new music). So does anything exist that can create playlists based on genre/mood?

Thanks for any help!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 10:05 PM

The obvious suggestion today is to use the iTunes Genius.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 10:34 PM

iTunes Genius genius.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2008, 11:05 PM

Should have mentioned that I am using genius, and the playlists are alright. However it also can't playlist match much of my music, which is very frustrating because a large portion of my library doesn't seem to be available in the ITMS. Thanks though.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 04:57 AM

Have you tried Tangerine? It's quite smart, even though it's primarily BPM based.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Have you tried Tangerine? It's quite smart, even though it's primarily BPM based.
I tried tangerine back when it was still in beta. The problem I had with it is that since it is heavily BPM based and my library is very diverse and fairly large it often would choose music that wasn't even close to the same genre. I'll give it a go again and see how it works out now though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Should have mentioned that I am using genius, and the playlists are alright. However it also can't playlist match much of my music, which is very frustrating because a large portion of my library doesn't seem to be available in the ITMS. Thanks though.
Keep using it - it will improve vastly over time, since many, many iTunes users have large quantities of music not available on the iTunes Store, and their listening preferences will still get analysed (if they opt to).

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Keep using it - it will improve vastly over time, since many, many iTunes users have large quantities of music not available on the iTunes Store, and their listening preferences will still get analysed (if they opt to).
I'd like to use it, but I don't think it will that useful. It simply tells me it cannot give me genius suggestions for any songs that aren't in the store. That makes it useless when you have at least 5,000 tracks that aren't in the itunes store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules