Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Audio recording hardware and software?

Audio recording hardware and software?
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2007, 02:51 PM

I'm looking to buy some software and hardware for a friend as a gift so she can record some of her music. As far as software I was looking at logic express (maybe garageband is good enough though?). All she needs to do is record a track from her guitar and one for vocals and then be able to produce reasonable quality music with her recordings. So I really have no idea about any of this, if anyone could suggest a decent piece of hardware that would allow her to input audio from a guitar and audio from a microphone at the same time I'd be really appreciative. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I don't really know how much these devices cost either, is under $50 going to buy something reasonable or do I need to spend more?

Thanks for any help!

Mr. Anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 11:03 PM

Great thought for a gift!

For software, I'd say GarageBand would be a good place to start. Someone who has never produced music on a computer before will be very quickly overwhelmed by Logic Express.

As for an audio interface, $50 won't get you much. At all. You need something that will simultaneously record a guitar and a microphone for voice. I'd suggest an M-Audio MobilePre USB. There are cheaper interfaces on the market, but the MobilePre USB includes 48 volt phantom power for condenser microphones (some interfaces do not). It also has two microphone inputs should your friend decide to record guitar with a microphone rather than a pickup. It's a pretty good place to start yet it also has a bit of flexibility to grow with.
( Last edited by Mr. Anderson; Nov 18, 2007 at 11:16 PM. )

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 01:49 AM

I tracked my entire (newest) CD in Garageband, believe me, it is pretty impressive - as I type this I'm installing Logic Studio 8 though

It's even on iTunes

If money is a big deal as it was for me inthe beginning, I used the line input (on the back) for a mic input for a few songs when my crappy firewire device quit working. Good enough, I can't tell which track it was on.

I have a Audio Kontrol 1 now my Native instruments. Pretty insanely great and about $250 I think.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, they have been very helpful, would a mixer and firewire MIDI controller work out alright? It seems as though that would be significantly cheaper than anything else, but I'm really not sure if I could just hook those two up and have them work or not. Anyone have any input on going that route?

Mr. Anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 01:00 PM

The mixer will do you no good for getting the audio into the computer. The computer needs an audio interface of some sort. In this situation a MIDI controller won't help you either. All it does is send MIDI note information to a device or plugin that produces sound. It won't allow you to record voice and guitar into the computer.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 01:25 PM

Garageband will be fine on the software side. At some point she might outgrow it, but by then she will have a better idea of what she needs.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
The mixer will do you no good for getting the audio into the computer. The computer needs an audio interface of some sort. In this situation a MIDI controller won't help you either. All it does is send MIDI note information to a device or plugin that produces sound. It won't allow you to record voice and guitar into the computer.
Ok, I didn't realize that, so thanks for letting me know. Is there any way I can buy a more reasonably priced piece of recording equipment? $170 or more is simply too much for me.

Thanks again.

Edit:
Would this and a mixer be able to work with garageband or the like to record sound?
( Last edited by bballe336; Nov 20, 2007 at 09:02 PM. )

Mr. Anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 03:33 PM

You won't need a mixer. The computer will do the mixing with the software, be it GarageBand, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Cubase, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, etc. That Behringer interface will give you some inputs, but they are line level inputs. They are the wrong type for plugging in a microphone and/or a guitar. You will need something with a built in mic preamp to use with a microphone and an input specifically for guitar (a direct input or "D.I.") to use an electric guitar or bass.

ThisJustin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 03:39 PM

Try the UA-4FX on for size! Its by Edirol and around $150.

Also theres the Fast Track USB made by M-audio and a little less.

Both include starter software and will still work with GB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules