Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cannot turn admin on?

Cannot turn admin on?
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2008, 10:39 PM

So I have a machine I installed tiger on, it made the only account on the machine a standard account (what the heck?). So I just deleted the setup file and made another user account, it still wasn't an admin account. So I had to enable the root administrator account. So now I should be able to turn the standard account on the machine into an administrator account by using the root administrator password to unlock the accounts preferences page. So I click the checkbox next to "allow user to administer this computer" and then when I close the window or click the lock to save the preferences the box just gets unchecked.

Is there a way to make the user an administrator through terminal or netinfo manager or something?

Thanks for any help.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 10:43 PM

It sounds like there's something fundamentally wrong there. Since you just installed, try reinstalling.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2008, 11:20 PM

I'd really prefer not to reinstall again. I know there has to be a way to set user permissions (such as admin) through the terminal, especially since there is a root account accessible, I just don't know how to do it.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2008, 03:47 PM

Just do an Archive and Install, you won't loose any settings or data. I thought the default installation was admin, did you choose otherwise?

zro
Mac Elite
May 16, 2008, 04:11 PM

Did you try logging in as 'root' from the Login Window? Hold Option and press Return to get to the name and password entry panel.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2008, 07:44 PM

Like I said I already have the root account enabled and I can log in to it. When I do I check the box to make the other user an administrator and it immediately unchecks the box.

I do not want to archive and reinstall, because I am pretty sure I'd end up with the same issue. I just did a clean install on this machine, it gives no option as to make an account administrator or not during setup, so it is assumed that the account would be an administrator account. But I did delete the setup file and then I added another account (essentially like setting the machine up again from a clean install without having to reinstall) and that account was also made as a standard, non-administrator account as well.

I am sure there is a way to give a user administrator privileges through the terminal, especially with a root account enabled. Does anyone know how to do that?

Ganesha
Senior User
May 18, 2008, 02:00 AM

I can't remember when Apple did away with netinfo. But if Tiger is still using netinfo you'll need to use the commands (nidump/niload) if not the directory service utility (dscl) needs to be used.

I won't trust my memory on what to do, so given the commands you should be able to google something.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ganesha View Post
I can't remember when Apple did away with netinfo. But if Tiger is still using netinfo you'll need to use the commands (nidump/niload) if not the directory service utility (dscl) needs to be used.

I won't trust my memory on what to do, so given the commands you should be able to google something.
Thanks, I got it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules