Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Booting problem, kernel issues maybe?

Booting problem, kernel issues maybe?
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2008, 04:44 PM

So I have been using a powermac G5 at work, it had panther on it, and I recently upgraded to tiger. When I went to boot it, it does one of two things, gets half way through the loading bar and then says "ADmitMac cannot load kernel extensions" so I click OK, then it goes a bit more and freezes and requires me to force restart the machine.

If I do a safeboot the loading bar gets all the way to the end and it just sits there, the machine sat for 7 hours today, as I was working all over the company's campus today and the machine just sat on in my cube. So in 7 hours it made absolutely no progress.

I have target disk booted the machine and completely removed everything that came up in a search of the drive for "admitmac" (the application wasn't needed). And I cannot find any .kext files that have the word admit in them. But the machine continues to give me the error and won't boot.

So what should I do? Thanks for any help, it is very much appreciated!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 04:55 PM

Archive and Install.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Archive and Install.
If I wanted to archive and install I would have done it originally, however that is not what I wanted to do since this is a work machine and that would require reinstalling all my apps wouldn't it? I'm looking for a resolution to my problem, thanks anyways though, I'll do that if it comes down to being the only solution.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 PM

For apps like Final Cut Studio, iLife, iWork, and Adobe CS software (there may be more, not sure), you will have to reinstall them after the archive and install.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Cold Warrior
Jun 25, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
If I wanted to archive and install I would have done it originally, however that is not what I wanted to do since this is a work machine and that would require reinstalling all my apps wouldn't it? I'm looking for a resolution to my problem, thanks anyways though, I'll do that if it comes down to being the only solution.
Archive install keeps your apps. If it doesn't move one or two of them, it'll keep them in a folder called Previous Systems. Then just drag-drop them into the applications folder.

edit: subject to 64stang's post, above.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2008, 09:07 AM

Alright, well if 10.4 is already installed then can I install it again and do an archive and install or will I need to go back down to panther first?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 09:22 AM

As long as you have the 10.4 Install Disc (NOT upgrade), you can just start with that. Remember, once this process is done, run software update before doing anything else. Otherwise, if you attempt to run any apps on there already, you'll get missing framework issues and such.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2008, 10:29 AM

Well I just finished the archive and install, and much to my surprise it left my user account completely intact, my dock is still the same, I still have all my apps, and they all still work. I'm very pleased to say the least, and thank you for everyone's help, it's nice to be able to have such a huge base of knowledge to turn to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules