Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Everything is FINE!

Everything is FINE!
sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Apr 1, 2000, 02:06 AM

Well, all iv been seeing on these fourms is about problems, or complaints, but i dont see ~much~ praise...

Well, i have a iMac 333 [LIME], an Newton MP 130, a Powerbook 5300... plus all the rest of my Apple stuff, AND ITS ALL GREAT!

-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

chrikr
Apr 1, 2000, 11:02 AM

Me too! OS9.0 on my iMAC SE seems VERY STABLE. The few crashes I get, usually cause the app to quit. Rarely locks up the computer. I'm pleased, but still looking forward to OSX.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2000, 11:15 AM

you never see a post from me regarding any problems with my Macs

why? they aren't any problems with my Macs.

AND they are all running MacOS 9, including my poor old performa 6200. all are stable and give me no surprises to speak of.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2000, 12:50 PM

I have to strongly disagree with WLONH. OS 9 stinks and all my Macs crash with it on!

Scott

PS - Happy Aprile Fool's Day! I love OS 9. All of my Macs with 9.x run flawlessly as well. iMacs, G3s, G4s, Pismo - you name it.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2000, 04:35 PM

One of the reasons that people don't post when things are going good is that they are working with their Macs, not troubleshooting. They don't have any questions and so they don't hang around places like this.

Then there are the folks like us moderators who hang out here to help folks and referee.

Then there are the folks who hang out here just to gripe about things.

Then there are the folks who just enjoy knowing folks are having trouble with Macs.

Then there are the folks who just don't have anything better to do.

You get the picture.

Most of the folks here are trying to solve a problem, so you see more complaining and strange errors.

I administer about 30 macs at the office, one at church and one at home, and most of my problems are self-inflicted, except for problems with OS 9 and my Zip drive, and there are workarounds for that.

DingBat
Apr 2, 2000, 10:26 AM

I am one of those folks who hang around here because I am buying an iMac DV in a week or two, and I want to know what I am getting myself into, since I have never owned a Mac at all.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2000, 09:26 PM

You know, it's also annoying when your posts never get replied on, with working answers (ok ok, so my tech related questions are pretty impossible of fix, nothing short of a new motherboard or something)

tbp9f
Apr 4, 2000, 11:12 PM

chrikr wrote:

"The few crashes I get, usually cause the app to quit. Rarely locks up the computer. I'm pleased, but still looking forward to OSX."

Of all possible crashes, these are the "good" crashes. Apps will always occasionally run afoul and crash, but with a good OS, you'll be able to keep working in your other apps. With OS X, apps that run into problems or are poorly coded will still crash, it's just that this should NEVER cause the whole OS to crash and thus require a restart. This is the advantage of protected memory.

jeralamo
Apr 4, 2000, 11:42 PM

To DingBat:

I've been using Macs ever since the late 80's. I moved from an Apple IIGS to an SE; and moved on up through LCs, Quadras, Power Macs, and now iMacs ( I have three). I also taught Computer Studies in a lab of networked Macs for 7 years. I've never had any trouble with any of them; and I've always upgraded to latest available software whenever the processor/RAM requiments would allow it. I just upgraded to 9.0.4 on all of my iMacs. I've never had any major trouble with any Mac. I believe the key is first of all the Mac design itself; and secondly regular drive maintenance with a utility such as TTPro. My advice - buy it now! You're in for a treat.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2000, 11:59 PM

Hey DingBat--From my first 512Ke Mac back in 1986 to my current G4, I've never ever had a major problem with any Mac--in fact, the only "problem" I've had was that I had to replace the battery on my Mac Classic II--and that was about 5 years after I bought it. By the way, that old 512 Ke is still plugging away in my son's room. He likes to play some games that won't run on anything newer.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

palmberg
Senior User
Apr 5, 2000, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by tbp9f:
chrikr wrote:

Apps will always occasionally run afoul and crash, but with a good OS, you'll be able to keep working in your other apps. With OS X, apps that run into problems or are poorly coded will still crash, it's just that this should NEVER cause the whole OS to crash and thus require a restart. This is the advantage of protected memory.
I always get a certain perverse pleasure out of the fact that, on any given day, my IBM Personal Computer 300PL (how's that for an original, stylish name?) at work will crash (HARD, all the way to restart) if I look at it wrong. Protected memory my arse!

My DV SE at home, on the other hand, reads my mind. I can count on my fingers the number of restarts I've done, almost all of which followed software or hardware installs.

The Mac is just better, that's all.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

bood69
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2000, 08:42 PM

dingbat,

My household Mac count:

Mac Plus(15 yrs. old)
Quadra 610
iMac 333 MHz
iMac 400 MHz

Every single one still runs like brand new and I'm dead serious.

John D
Apr 8, 2000, 11:02 AM

So far so good. I have 9.0.4 loaded on my B&W 350 at work, and my B&W 400 and 9500 at home.

In fact with the new USB Card Support 1.4.1 loaded on the 9500 I'm finally able to get my Moniswitch USB KVM to work; sharing the monitor, keyboard and Kensington mouse between the 2 CPUs. That saves me a bundle of cash and desk space.

I had some rough spots initially with OS 9, but I'va come to regard it as the stablest Mac OS yet. Poorly written app.s, such as ones that were ported from Windows (can anyone say Dreamweaver 1 or 2?) WILL crash but the OS stays up long enough to save in other app.s and restart. Progress not perfection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules