Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can I create a new partition on my HD without erasing any data?

Can I create a new partition on my HD without erasing any data?
omarv
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2000, 07:18 PM

I would like to create another partition on my drive, but I don't want to erase everything on my drive to do it. I remember reading about a program that did this, but I forgot what it was called. I'd really appreciate any help.

Tinman
Apr 1, 2000, 08:47 PM

If you currently have a partition on the drive that take up the whole disk then I am afraid there is no easy way to create a partition on it without re-format the whole drive. It is easy to do on Windows but not on the Mac.

If your disk drive has enough space to create another partition, then you could use the FWB Hard Disk Toolkit 3 to create one.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2000, 12:43 PM

If you have another drive (or can borrow one), the solution is easy. Copy EVERYTHING from the drive you want to re-partition to the spare drive, wipe and re-partition your drive, and move everything back.
This system works great for defragmenting or recovering drives too (as long as you keep enough space spare on your other drives to completely backup any single other drive)
Aaron

McKs
Apr 7, 2000, 12:07 PM

It is possible, and yes you need FWB HD Toolkit. But you'll also need Norton SpeedDisk. Using SpeedDisk, you have to optimize your HD for disk resizing (specify that option) SpeedDisk will then move all the data on the disk to one side of the drive. This allows HD Toolkit to resize it "from the other side" If you don't optimize first, you'll more then likely lose data. FWB is rather akward, you'll have to make your current (only) partition smaller, and then create a new partition in the space you freed up in that way. good luck

Rohn
Apr 8, 2000, 07:01 PM

I've read where FWB is suggesting that you NOT format OS 9.x with HDT 3.0.2, and that we should wait until 4.0 comes out later this month. As such, when I installed a new internal HD last week, I used Apple's Drive Setup. Prior to ADS, though, I'd partitioned with HDT non-destructively many times and it works great. And, yes, Speed Disk is necessary!

As an aside, when installing the new HD, I had originally created three partitions with ADS, and it was a pain to have to go back and reinstall files from my backup when I decided I only wanted two instead of three partitions. So I understand...

[This message has been edited by Rohn (edited 04-08-2000).]

mel
Apr 8, 2000, 07:43 PM

If your disk is currently formatted with Apple's Drive Setup, you cannot create additional partitions without reformatting.

To use FWB to add an additional partition, your disk must be formatted with FWB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules