Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.0.4 ATi Rage 128 3D drivers slower?

9.0.4 ATi Rage 128 3D drivers slower?
Donald
Apr 5, 2000, 11:43 AM

After installing the 9.0.4 release, my settings for Quake 3 (already turning off a lot of options) seem slower, & bog down when panning across complex textures. Has anyone else noticed a change in their graphic speed w/9.0.4?

P
Apr 5, 2000, 01:38 PM

My graphics are faster, fwiw.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

dingo
Apr 5, 2000, 01:52 PM

I noticed that some of my ATI extensions were disabled after updating. Re-enabled them and now its fast.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2000, 07:37 PM

i think that since so many ati updates have been issued, that some people have a few extentions from one release, and a few other from another. What I did on my brothers imacdv was to delete all the ati related extentions, and reinstall 9.04. This seemed to of helped.

------------------
-See Yea!

Donald
Apr 7, 2000, 02:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestion oscar, but I tried removing all my ATi & OpenGL inits prior to updating to 9.0.4, to be sure that I /wouldn't/ have a mismatched set.

The OpenGL 1.1.2 set of ATi & OpenGL inits seems to work fine with 9.0.4, but I'd of course like to use the newest set possible.

Aaargh!

Bambi
Apr 7, 2000, 11:55 AM

I have tried removing the ATI set and reinstalling 9.0.4 with no joy.

I am using a clean install of OS9 until this issue is solved.

zoozx
Apr 7, 2000, 11:56 AM

Can some list what should be in extensions with 9.04 so i can delete old versions without screwing up?
Thanks

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2000, 02:30 PM

I loaded up 9.0.4(easy update, no clean install) yesterday morning before coming in to work. SETI ran all day OK, came home and played Unreal for 2-3 hrs with no noticeable change in behavior compared to 9.0. surfed a bit and ran SETI all night...all is good. Only concession I made was to update to 9.0.4 before updating to QT 4.1.1 z4m

donperfecto
Apr 7, 2000, 06:58 PM

My graphics are definitely slower in Quake, it sucks!

Jawacool
Apr 7, 2000, 09:48 PM

Mine is quite a bit slower also. Please, if someone could post what ati extensions should be in the extensions folder, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jawacool

ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2000, 03:43 AM

my quake3 is also jittery after the 9.0.4 update. the game seems to "pause" every seccond or so, and then resume. it's quite annoying. i tried placing the old ati set from 9.0 in the extensions folder (inc. opengl 1.1.2) and quake refuses to run this way--error type two. so now i have to choose between quake and my floppy drive. the slowdown is ridiculous, by the way--even the fire effect in the title screen is jerky. this, on a brand new g4/450. irksome, to say the least.

nilay
[email protected]

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2000, 04:16 AM

Versions of ATi software installed "clean" from 9.04:

ATI 3D Accelerator 4.9.7
ATI Driver Update 1.5.3
ATI MPP Manager 1.2f1
ATI Rage 128 3D Accelerator 5.8.1
ATI Resource Manager 2.4.8
ATI Video Accelerator 4.4.7
ATI Video Memory Manager 4.6

------------------
-See Yea!

green.robotics
Apr 8, 2000, 10:53 AM

Have PB500G3 that came with 9.0.2 and was upgraded to 9.0.4. Ended up with the following ATI files
3D Accelerator 4.9.7
Graphics Accelerator 4.9.4 (2D)
Rage 128 3D Accelerator 5.8.1
Resource Manager 2.4.8
Video Accelerator 4.4.7
All labeled update OS9
Didn't see graphics accelerator on Oscar's list and I don't have MPP Manager, Driver Update, and Video Memory Manager.
Any clues for the difference?

dante
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2000, 06:55 PM

Well, I've gotta say that UT is smother under 9.0.4, on my iMac anyway.

slur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2000, 06:58 PM

Quake 3 Arena specifically uses the OpenGL libraries for its rendering. If there has been a change in speed then possibly reinstalling the prior version of the OpenGL extensions will return things to normal.

The kind of pauses you describe appear to me to be the symptom of AppleTalk choking. I believe 9.0.4 update zaps the PRAM, and this would cause the AppleTalk setting to revert to the Printer Port. Make Sure AppleTalk is set to your networking port (Ethernet, usually) or make sure it is turned off.

------------------
Scott Lahteine
------------------
Scott Lahteine
------------------

slur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2000, 07:48 PM

One More Thing!

There is a file called Apple CPU Plugins that lives in the Multiprocessing folder in the Extensions folder in the System Folder. The 9.0.4 Update installs Apple CPU Plugins version 2.4.

I have found in some instances that video updates will slow down dramatically if this item is present. Try dragging the Apple CPU Plugins file to the desktop and restart. This may fix things but be warned....

There may be some software that wants the Apple CPU Plugins file to be in its proper place. So don't throw this file away.

------------------
Scott Lahteine
------------------
Scott Lahteine
------------------

Donald
Apr 8, 2000, 11:05 PM

To eliminate the problem under OS9.0.4, it's only necessary to remove inits
which have "ATI" or "OpenGL" in their name, & then install the OpenGL 1.1.2
software from Apple's site. (Note that this may disable DVD playback acceleration, you may need to extract the necessary files from the OS9 tome with TomeViewer & then update to OpenGL 1.1.2).

You CANNOT mix & match ATi extensions with OpenGL releases. They are
release to work in concert. You can't simply replace the drivers "oscar"
mentioned, those conflict with OpenGL 1.1.3, & the graphics in Q3A will be completely unusable. You must also install the OpenGL 1.1.2 extensions as well.

The symptoms I'm seeing are completely dependent & repeatable to panning across areas of large numbers of polygons or complex textures, so AppleTalk issues are unrelated. UT isn't as taxing graphically card as Q3A, so UT speed comparisons are probably irrelevant.

Maybe this is an intentional slowdown by Apple, to help the sales of Voodoo 4 & 5 cards in a couple of months... as if G3 & G4 owners need any encouragement

crusher4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2000, 11:40 PM

NV 15 is coming to mac....why would you want a v5......

Lets see a show of hands on who wants an external power supply on their graphics card....

=D
-Crusher4

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2000, 02:35 AM

Donald, Have you actually read my post, You would of seen me say that mixing and matching is a bad idea� by removing those, and updating with 9.04, you refresh the drivers to the newest possible.

------------------
-See Yea!

Ha_hA_HA!
Apr 9, 2000, 11:55 AM

Okay Quake 3 people, go to your preferences and make sure Sync Every Frame is checked off. I have spoken to a few people who said the updater unchecked this for some reason....

ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2000, 03:32 PM

okay--the sync every frame toggle was off, and reenabling it has actually made q3 _faster_ than before on my g4/450 with the orignal rage128 card. thanks ha.

-nilay

Robin
Apr 9, 2000, 07:54 PM

I installed 9.0.4, QT 4.11 on my old 266 G3 -with a rage orion card. Not only did I get a whole new range of monitor resolutions on my multiscan 17" but it now runs comfortably at 85Mhertz (1024x768) refresh rate - UT goes like the clappers!

Donald
Apr 10, 2000, 05:20 PM

oscar, I wasn't saying or implying that you recommended replacing the extensions you listed, in whole or in part. I was stating that if anyone wants to revert to the OpenGL 1.1.2 release, then it's necessary to replace not only the ATi extensions, but the OpenGL ones as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules