Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.04 - PANIC! after install, Mac won't startup

OS 9.04 - PANIC! after install, Mac won't startup
tliszt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2000, 12:15 PM

Just installed the update to OS 9.04, and now my Mac won't boot. I get an "Illegal Instruction" message and can only restart. I've run TechTools Pro and Norton Utilities from CD to no avail. I can't even start with extensions OFF because the error still occurs! Is this from the Apple driver update?! Help! I have Conflict Catcher installed, but can't even invoke that interface (space key down at startup) because I can't get past the illegal instruction at the beginning of startup.

bkolquist
Apr 5, 2000, 12:58 PM

I have had similar experience with an iMac /B. I either get illegal instruction or bus error on start even with Shift boot. I have tried deleting prefs, zapping, etc. Norton did find 4 corrupted prefs, but deleted and did not fix. I have also posted on Tech Exchange under "Start Up Problems with OS 9.0.4". I have just disabled that System and reinstalled OS 9, will update to 9.0.4 for testing and substitutions.

P
Apr 5, 2000, 01:26 PM

Try removing the file called "Power PC Enabler". I've heard that users of early G3s sometimes have to do that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

drrbc
Apr 5, 2000, 01:29 PM

Me too. Thank god I had copied my system folder expecting something like this. Haven't tried the PPC Enabler thing.

craigclan
Apr 5, 2000, 01:30 PM

I have encountered simular problems with 9.0.4 on my Power Tower/Sonnet G-4 400. The boot-up stops shortly into the loading process before the extention icons appear and freezes.

I am, however, able to boot-up with extentions off. I ran Conflict Catcher and Norton but both reported no problems.

craigclan
Apr 5, 2000, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by craigclan:
I have encountered simular problems with 9.0.4 on my Power Tower/Sonnet G-4 400. The boot-up stops shortly into the loading process before the extention icons appear and freezes.

I am, however, able to boot-up with extentions off. I ran Conflict Catcher and Norton but both reported no problems.

craigclan
Apr 5, 2000, 02:17 PM

Remove "PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4" and you are back to Mac OS 9...without the hang-up's, freeze etc.

Ben McBeen
Apr 5, 2000, 02:21 PM

I had the same problem. I had to boot into OS X and start removing extensions. It seems to be related to stuffit of speed doubler extensions. I removed both sets and the system booted fine.

Kenneth MacArthur
Apr 6, 2000, 06:00 PM

I have had this problem after installing all the Apple Sound Manager Updates or whatever they were called. I had to remove certain sound-related extensions to get rid of the problem. I'm using an iMac Rev B.

Ben McBeen
Apr 7, 2000, 05:36 PM

Well... I'm toast again. this time i can't even boot with the base set of 9.0.4 extensions. S%$T!

Hmm... Time to start hacking :-\

willdaddy
Apr 7, 2000, 05:55 PM

I too had the startup problem after installing 9.0.4, after I removed the PowerPC Enabler I was again able to use my Mac, but now I can't launch AppleWorks 6.0, it says "couldn't be opened because "CarbonLib--SetSMTEDialogDocumentID" could not be found.

I do have the Carbonlib extension that came with 9.0.4 installed.

any suggestions?

cyboc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 07:19 PM

i had a similar problem, unable to boot, well actually i could boot, but after everything loaded and i got to the desktop, i got an error message with a stop sign and no message. bus and illegal instruction errors. i d/c my fax software (FXSTF PRO) and am now up and running without problems......i think...

tliszt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 08:52 PM

After removing the enabler file (booting up from the Norton CD), I'm back in business. However... now I can't seem to use RealAudio Player. When I launch a Real Audio ".asp" document I'm greeted with the unfriendly message: The application "RealPlayer" could not be opened because "pncrt.dll--__dla__FPv" could not be found. Grrrr. So... am I (or am I not) using OS 9.04? without the enabler I guess I'm not actually upgraded! AND why CAN'T I successfully upgrade my PowerMac G3 from OS9 to 9.04? Apple is pissin' me off!

Fred0738
Apr 8, 2000, 01:23 AM

Two days ago I tried the 9.0.4 update, and it messed up the system folder on my bronze PB G3. My PB would just hang at the happy mac during startup. Luckily I had a resent back up of my system folder. I just ran the 9.0.4 updated again and my system works fine.

riverfr
Apr 8, 2000, 02:34 AM

IM having the same problem with my Mac 6500/225 96mb of ram. OS 9 was running fine till I installed 9.0.4. Now all i get get is the error messages. I have tried removing system enabler like others still no luck. Anu ideas email me at [email protected]. Thats loa not AOL

Miez
Apr 8, 2000, 03:24 AM

SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!

We I the same problem on iMac/B.
First I tried to remove the Enabler, but the problem was still there. Then somebody found the solution: Open the Extension Manager and switch on only the OS9-Package, switch everything other off. Then "update" PR-RAM and Desktop File...
Now our iMacd works with 9.0.4...

ndesign
Apr 8, 2000, 06:13 PM

willdaddy,

Try reinstalling AppleWorks 6. I too have AppleWorks 6 and by doing "Get Info" on the CarbonLib, it shows that it was intalled by AppleWorks, not OS9.04. You may want to trash your "Finder Preferences" file and restart so it will build a new one. This file sometimes becomes corrupt.

Originally posted by willdaddy:
I too had the startup problem after installing 9.0.4, after I removed the PowerPC Enabler I was again able to use my Mac, but now I can't launch AppleWorks 6.0, it says "couldn't be opened because "CarbonLib--SetSMTEDialogDocumentID" could not be found.

I do have the Carbonlib extension that came with 9.0.4 installed.

any suggestions?

ndesign
Apr 8, 2000, 06:25 PM

Some of you that are having trouble with your PowerBook G3's, I had some of the same problems, but my PowerBook was also getting extremely hot on the bottom (about 150 degrees F or about 65 degrees C). Hot enough to burn your hand.

The fix for this was resetting the PMU or Power Manager (not the PRAM). To reset the PMU, turn the PowerBook OFF. Press and hold the PMU button (the one with the triangle inside the circle, by the phone cord plug in for the modem). Hold the button in for approx. 5 seconds, until you see the sleep light flash (once), then release it. Now start the PowerBook.

The code inside the PMU can become corrupt (similar to the PRAM becoming corrupt) and it can cause all types of weird problems and can cause excessive heat because the power is not being distributed correctly. The PMU is what manages the power to the different areas and devices inside the PowerBook.

Hope this suggestion helps some of you.

Originally posted by Fred0738:
Two days ago I tried the 9.0.4 update, and it messed up the system folder on my bronze PB G3. My PB would just hang at the happy mac during startup. Luckily I had a resent back up of my system folder. I just ran the 9.0.4 updated again and my system works fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules