Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Breaking the Macintosh Niche...

Breaking the Macintosh Niche...
thewhoopimen
Sep 15, 2000, 05:16 PM

This is my proposal for breaking up the Macintosh Niche market...

I think we the Mac Faitful, should seriously form a petition group to ask Apple Computers Inc. to port Mac OS X to all platforms and even make it Windows Compatible (Which should not be too hard considering that Linux has such a capability... Not emulation) . It is too late now for Apple's once superior hardware architecture to vy with hundreds upon hundreds of hardware manufacturers, dedicated to the IBM architecture. Being a niche market will always make Apple seem too risky for developers and manufacturers considering the multitudes of support that IBM liscencees hold today. I believe that the only crown jewel still capable of great things today is the Operating System itself. Mac OS X is UNIX, has the support of ALL major developers and manufacturers, and is Superior in just about any terms, ease and use raw power, compared to Linux or even the Windows Family. A petition or some sort of protest must be organized to MAKE Apple Inc. and Steve Jobs listen to the voices of the Mac Faithful, and those who secretly admire the MacOS but have no choice in their say of platforms. Apple cannot afford another strategic mistake it made in 1985, or 1989 when Windows was introduced. There some who would disagree, that this would ruin to the general theme feel or style/ reputation that Apple has put so much effort throughout the years of its existance. But then again, unless there is a compromise with the loss of genuine Apple hardware/style/feel, Apple's Operating System will never reach its full marketing potential, because as was shown in 1989, clone companies will follow, and the advantage will again be lost, this time permanently. It is time to realize that there is no idealistic world out there, it is an eat or be eaten way of life. Apple was wrong when it first thought that superior technology would prevail. We should know better, marketing is king. A petition would at least garner attention from Apple, where as individual rants or proposals would simply be ignored.
Please feel free to email me at: [email protected]

If you have any disagreements, comments, or suggestions.
I, like all the Mac faithful, wish only the best for our beloved/bereaved company, but I also realize that with current trends, Apple will never regain its market share, unless MacOSX... not Darwin is open to all.
John Chu

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2000, 08:17 PM

Interesting post, but this is NOT about market share. Apple is striving to make the best products it can. Market share is irrelevant. Mercedes Benz holds only 8% of the market; should they make cheaper cars with inferior parts to take on Ford? No! Apple is the same. You get what you pay for and I'd rather have a Mercedes than a Ford Taurus.

------------------
http://www.macgorilla.com
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2000, 08:46 PM

You want Apple to port OS X to another platform?! They can't even release it for their own platform! Latest release estimates are for April/May '01. Does anybody believe they can even make this date? I doubt it. Steve and company are really looking like they are desperate to string us along. EVERYBODY I talk to about this being a good time to be a Mac user now just laughs. "Like Copland, OS X will never ship. Ha Ha!" I can't say anything. The old line, "Just wait 'til they release OS X," is sounding awfully lame, even to me. Suddenly Microsoft doesn't look to stupid. At least they ship.

------------------
Peep my iDisk: rambo47
"There is no spoon."

thewhoopimen
Sep 15, 2000, 09:05 PM

I agree on your point that Apple has not kept its promise about release dates... But that does not mean they aren't trying. Look at the public Beta. They have delivered their promise, and I think they are keeping to their promise. There are already carbon applications for use, like Internet Explorer. This is the big thing! Even Microsoft has acknowledged its presence. Marketshare does mean something, because car's don't need third party developers to support and upgrade it. There is no software to go with the Mercedes. But there is with the MacOS. Apple has to regain at least its former 20% marketshare to reinstate its claim as an industry leader in all fields. That's why I think the only possible way they can do that is showing off their crown on all platforms. MacOSX

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2000, 09:09 PM

Refresh my memory: how many years was Windows 2000 delayed?

Apple's doing pretty well. The Beta is out, and they are obviously not going to give up now. If it takes 6 more months, fine.

I personally can't wait to get my copy of PB, and even though I know it is not feature complete, it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Zal
Sep 16, 2000, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
... Market share is irrelevant. Mercedes Benz holds only 8% of the market; should they make cheaper cars with inferior parts to take on Ford? No! Apple is the same.
You can't compare Apple w/ Mercedes like this because all Mercedes Benz cars sold in the world can use ANY roads in the world that were build for cars... it's not that relevant with computers.

I agree with the fact that Apple should try to do something with OS X on other platform since (and I'm not an expert, could someone verify my quote!?) Darwin is the core of this OS (FreeBSD and Mach3) and can easily be port on other hardware. The other layers on top of that (Quartz, Aqua, etc.) could be debugged regardless of the first layer.

Sep 16, 2000, 04:46 PM

This game is all about market share. Period. Jobs knows it and their #1 goal right now is to double their market share. These aren't cars, or clothing, or furniture for that matter. Computers rely on other computers to work. Period.

-JB

keston
Sep 16, 2000, 09:41 PM

If you could run teh superior and more user friendly mac os (which cost lets say $150). Which would a new user buy? That $1599 G4, or that $799 PC? Nice idea, but not very smart for apple. They are in the hardware selling business more than software. The money they make is from thier hardware sales. It would kill them.

The mac is not only an os, its the combination of the cool/usable hardware wit teh software. And how many headaches would they have if they now tried to offer support for the kajillion kind and configs of peecees out there?

Apple needs to be embraced, not the OS alone. Macintosh is more than that.

Gepard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2000, 11:11 PM

I don't like that MAC OS X will run on PC hardware. It won't be MAC OS anymore. If you love those ugly PC boxes go and get it. Put whatever you want on it - WindowsMe, WindowsU, Linux or any other OS. MAC OS means Macintosh Operating System and I proud of that I have the best computer + OS which going to be the best too.
-----
You got an idea?
----
You got an idea?

sampledata
Sep 16, 2000, 11:14 PM

and how do you propose apple pay for all this devlopment?

and if they had port it, why exactly would people buy apple's machines with 29% profit margins instead of clone?

and if people aren't buying apple's machines with 29% profit margins how is apple generating revenues to continue development of said ports? (to say nothing of hardware?)

all i have to say is:

"voo-doo economics"

thewhoopimen
Sep 16, 2000, 11:40 PM

Have you all forgotten that Apple has a dedicated market? Even for its hardware? That's you guys and me! We are the ones that will continue to make Apple Viable! Is porting the MacOS to other platforms gonna make you buy the beige boxes? NO! You will continue to support Apple. Apple even as a niche market is still one of the top ten pc manufacturers out there. Because there are people who love the creative signature that Apple will always have and are willing to pay the price for using it. What I am proposing is not to kill Apple, but to find a new market for it. If people love the MacOS X and hoards of companies adopt it, Apple will have reached new eyes and people with similar tastes to ours, but who have never seen the Macintosh. Those who have a taste for more Apple, will look at the aesthetic designs and complete combatibility that Apple Hardware provides. Yes there are many fears of change, and the future is unpredictable. But if Apple is continued to play the niche market, pretty soon support will end. What I am saying is putting an engine that works in all cars. Why let others suffer for their mistakes? Eventually there will be those that will prefer the mercedes/Bentley/Lamborgini of the bunch. (Apple Hardware)

Forum Links
Forum Rules