Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > service and service

service and service
beachmark
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 10:58 PM

First off: I am completely Apple crazy and there is not much bad that Apple can do to me.

In April this year I bought a portable pc Acer Travelmate 800LCi as a second (cros platform) computer next to my Powerbook G4 17inch BIGAL. I was amazed by the quality of the new Centrino processor and the stability it has proven to me. I haveto admit that in some areas it was even better to use than my dearly beloved Powerbook.

Only the other day both my computers let me me down. First my Powerbook. So over two weeks before my departure after many phone calls it was finally picked up by Apple and I just had to hope that it would be back in time before my departure abroad ( I was going away for 6 months so you can imagine how much i wanted it to come with me). Apple Europe told me that it was impossible for me to call Apple customer Service in Australasia whilst beingthere for this all because it is an Apple bought in Europe. Only one day before my departure and only after intervenience by a big name of Apple in Holland I had it just in time. And also due to the big boss' intervention the bill was waived as he agreed that the damage was not due to user's neglet but bad production.

Now just two days ago my Acer had a problem with one of the two mousebuttons (the more buttons the more that can damage) and my firewire port failed operation suddenly.
I called Acer in New Zealand and they gave me the address of a repair center in Wellington to contact. I called this center and they told me to bring it in the following day and they would do their best to have it repaired the next business day if not earlier. On the basis of my faults descriptionthe guy ordered immediately the spare parts.

I broght it in we dida check up of the errors together at the service desk and he took it in.
Only three hours later and that is including lunch I got a call from the service desk that my Acer was repaired. No cahrges what so ever and fully upgraded with all the latest drivers and software.

Sorry but I have to admit that Apple can learn from this. We all are crazy about Apple, pay a premium price for our computers compared with other brands but service wise Apple is not worth that premium. Maybe I am the only one but i am keen to hear your experiences with Apple service counters and those of the competition. Hopefully an Apple exec reads this forum too and he will take the comments into consideration and who knows overtime we can help Apple to improve its customer service.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 03:35 AM

i Called apple because my battery wasnt within spec, not far off but not within. I mentioned it, they put me on hold for 5 minutes and sent me a new one in less than 24 hours. This one is above spec and customer service 110%, customer comes first with apple
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 08:51 AM

I think part of it depends on where you are. But i do agree, it is damn nice to be able to take your computer somewhere and have it repaired almost instantly, whereas if you have to wait six weeks for something simple it is mind-numbing. I think it is even worse if you buy an Apple outside of the US, just for the simple lack of service centres.

Forum Links
Forum Rules