Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When are the 15" owners planning an upgrade?

When are the 15" owners planning an upgrade?
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 11:39 AM

Hey guys....
I have the 15" powerbook with the 1.25 and 512ram....Only had to get it repaired once for White Spots.

Just wondering how long you guys think these machines are going to work for you before you start looking into another upgrade?
Who reads this???

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2004, 11:50 AM

Honestly I can't even imagine what Apple could do to improve these beauties, except for gradual increases in speed. I'm sure eventually there will be something incredibly useful that the new PBs will be able to do that mine can't, but until then, I don't know when I'll upgrade. Maybe not even with the G5. I would like faster processor, HD and video, but I do most of my heavy work on my desktop machine anyway (a dual 1.25 G4 -- that would be more likely to be upgraded). I'm a sucker for new technology, but so far I don't see anything in the new models to make me want to upgrade. I still have to get my white spots fixed, though. I should really get on that while I don't have a job that requires my PB.

jedimstr
Apr 25, 2004, 11:56 AM

Call me crazy, but I already ordered my new 15" 1.5Ghz with the 5400 & 128M VRAM bto options... switching over from my two month old 15" 1.25Ghz with Superdrive... (found a buyer for my "old" laptop willing to pay close to what I payed for it).

Here's a thread I made on the subject of cloning my Hard Drive from the old to new Power Book: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=210183

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 12:12 PM

Was the upgrade actually needed or are you like most of us, Just get it cause it is there?
Who reads this???

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 12:18 PM

I could understand upgrading a 2 month old PB, its practically brand new and if you found a buyer willing to pay near what you paid all the sweeter.

As for my, I purchased my last November and its been very stable. I don't need the small incremental bump in speed. If Apple releases the G5 PB, in a year or two, then I'll probably jump on board.

Mike

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 12:32 PM

I upgrade every 2 years, so this 1.5Ghz PB (that is coming on Tuesday!) will last me until 2006. Truth be told it would probably last me longer as I don't play the "keeping up with the Jones game", but every 2 years seems to be my upgrade schedule.

Cheers!

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 12:38 PM

I have this about three month old 1.25 15" powerbook and I love it to death! The only thing that is going to make me upgrade will be when apple puts the g5 in a powerbook. Then I would have two 64-bit systems in my house and that would be cool :-D

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 07:49 PM

I don't plan on upgrading my 1GHz TiG4 for at least 12-18 months.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

nick_coday
Apr 25, 2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
Hey guys....
I have the 15" powerbook with the 1.25 and 512ram....Only had to get it repaired once for White Spots.

Just wondering how long you guys think these machines are going to work for you before you start looking into another upgrade?
I have that exact one.

I doubt I will be looking for an upgrade until "maybe" the end of 2005/early 2006.

G5 laptops should be out by then hopefully.

I do plan to upgrade the RAM though hopefully in the next 6 months depending on whether I can sell my Thinpkad T30.
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

rsgunther
Apr 25, 2004, 10:08 PM

I usually upgrade 1 time a year and sell the old machine on EBAY. Macs seem to hold their value pretty well, so I don't loose too much this way. So, since I got this one at the beginning of March (AL 15" 1.25 SD, 5400RPM, 1G RAM), I will probably wait till the beginning of next year. The G5's may sway me to switch sooner if they come out this year. I got a great deal on this PB (Refurbed $2099 and it included a 5400RPM HD, I had to send it back to get some minor repairs & they sent me a free battery for the trouble, which I sold for around $130.00 - so, I only paid like $1970.00 for it).

nate_02
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 11:14 PM

I probably won't upgrade until rev. b of the PB G5s. I hope mine will be sufficient until then.
-nate

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 11:32 PM

I bought mine the day after the announcement, and will probably wait till summer 2005 to start looking at a newer machine. I figure by then, the second revision, or possibly third G5 Powerbooks will be out, and it will be a real noticible jump.

Nothing against revision one machines (since technicially this one is), I just don't see myself needing a G5 Powerbook right at announcement.
<This space under renovation>

krux`
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 12:12 AM

true that, ive had mine for about 6 months, and i wont be upgrading until my applecare runs out, so id say another 2 1/2 years, it is all the power ill need, and like ppl said, how can anyone upgrade something this good if its as good as you need it to be anyways?
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 03:54 AM

I own a 15" 1.25ghz AlBook and will be ordering a 15" 1.5ghz with the upgraded HD and video card this week.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 01:05 PM

i'll probably upgrade when the G5's come out, assuming the first revision gets a clean bill of health from early adoptors.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 01:27 PM

G5 baby!

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 02:21 PM

Not for a long time, I'm guessing. I have the last of the Tis (1GHz, 1x Superdrive), and I use only the smallest portion of its power in my day-to-day work (bit of Photoshop sometimes, Office apps, Mail, Dreamweaver, connecting to our Win2K Server network at work, blahblahblah).

Backlit keyboard would be nice. So would built-in Bluetooth (for when I get a mouse) and all the little speed bumps. Oh, and 4x DVD burning. But none of this is critical for me now, nor seems like it will be in the near future, so I can be patient. I'm still running 10.2.8 anyway, so just upgrading to Panther seems like a big deal.

Originally posted by Daracle:
Hey guys....

ChasingApple
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 02:44 PM

Well I do not have one as of yet but I am planning on getting the 12" later this year, I need a book for myself
iMac G4 / Macbook

mallardx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 12:24 PM

Well unless they come out with a G5 and 256 vram video and 120 gig Hdd, I can't convince my wife to let me upgrade til 2006.

Damn Apple and these small little upgrades, makes it hard to justify to the wife why i need a new system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules