Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Omg!

Omg!
tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:27 AM

OMG!

Excuse me for a second:

DASLKHFDAYE*(E@!Y*)PEOI:JSAI:SADSA
FWELIR*WPQ(REH@!OUI$Y@(*$Y#(@$P%@#*U$PO%RWA
SUIAHDIOUSAIDHSALU!IO@DE(*$IPO:REEASID
!$@(U$@!()$UEJ:LADJASLDJASLKJDASLKJDLSAKJ
DLSAJDL:ASJLD:SAJLSHDUOIAH(PR*WOQ:EOPIEPC
:LIQURP*QOURJIWOQUDOPSAIJDALKDJSALKJDASLKDJA

*Breathes*

LDSAHDISHASDA&DWQ()$#U@!JR@P!E(QUSDA)D!SAIA
PE(U@IODSADUA{@()!$E!@UERJIOSAYJOWEJSDD
D*(PU#!@*)(EJPODASUISOAJOSAJDA
S*U@QE*(U)PDASU)A(UD()AUD)(ASU()SADU()ASUSA
d()QU*E@)(!E(UAWD()SAU()DUA)(DUSA)(UDAUDS()DUAS
)(U@)E#!(UED(ASJDIOSJA)A(U$@JR()AEJR)(ASJDAD(JSA)

You know that PowerBook that I've been so concerned about? The one I bought about two weeks ago?

Well, I was organizing my room...

...and I dropped this ivory rhinoceros right on the PowerBook.

Luckily it was closed, but the screen is broken (cracked in the middle), the aluminum is completely dented, and the "G" key doesn't work (I had to copy paste it in this post).

Um.

What do I do?!

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 02:31 AM

Throw yourself off of a bridge

dvdnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 02:41 AM

Hmm, get yourself a new screen.

Not much you can do about the "G" spot though. Hard to find apparently.

Steve.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:59 AM

Irony: serves you right for having ivory?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 03:10 AM

You can't be serious... you couldn't have had that book more than a week or 2... I feel bad for you man... really bad... Screens are pretty damn expensive to replace... good luck

Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 03:50 AM

Ouch dude. Sorry to hear about that! Hope all goes well in getting it back to normal... if possible
Aloha

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 03:52 AM

Okay, so...I wasn't serious .

I thought it'd be funny, if after everyone was telling me to stop worrying, my PowerBook fell apart.

Sorry if I made some of you feel bad!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:

I thought it'd be funny, if after everyone was telling me to stop worrying, my PowerBook fell apart.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:03 AM

YOU BASTARD!
Aloha

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Link:
YOU BASTARD!
Sorry, sorry .

Here come the flames!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:17 AM

to hell with the powerbook....how is the ivory rhino doing?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

TiDual
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 06:53 AM

you have *way* too much free time ...

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 07:03 AM

Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 07:37 AM

If it had really happened a bluetooth keyboard and an exterior screen would have been a reasonable solution....PEABRAIN!!!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 08:14 AM

BAN.

God damn it Tavilach, does your stupidity have an end? Apparently it doesn't. You know, when I read this, I was thinking, "Damn, that sucks." Then I saw that you posted it. "Oh! Haha! Well, I guess that's the definition if irony!" Then you came in and said that you deliberately lied. Well, that made me mad. Mad that you don't have a broken PowerBook. The only good thing is that if you actually did break it, you'd be drowning us in threads about how to get it fixed for cheaper and what options you had. No one really likes you here anyway, and pulling crap like this isn't going to make you any friends. So just leave, grow up for a few years, and then maybe consider coming back under a different screen name.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 08:34 AM

I was giving you the benefit of doubt in the Lounge, but while you're obviously young, that was lame at any age. You're not going to score any points, even for humor, like that around here.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 17, 2004, 10:00 AM

OMG -- use real thread titles.
OMG -- this is a technical forum, not yakking and jokes.
OMG -- waste people's time like this again, and you get banned.

tooki

P.S. My AlBook DID suffer damage much like tavilach's fake damage. A large glass Mickey Mouse paperweight fell on it during moving and cracked the LCD from the outside. It was a month old at the time. Safeware covered every cent of the repair, though!

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 10:14 AM

Die

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
Thank you Tooki... the Voice of Reason

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
Die
You reminded me of my favorite graphic!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 01:07 PM

Jokes aside, tavilach, I've been extremely tolerant of your obsessive question-asking, and have provided thorough, meaningful answers to most of them...

No longer. This is childish and stupid. With a brand new powerbook, can't you find something better to fill your time with?
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki

P.S. My AlBook DID suffer damage much like tavilach's fake damage. A large glass Mickey Mouse paperweight fell on it during moving and cracked the LCD from the outside. It was a month old at the time. Safeware covered every cent of the repair, though!
Understood.

Sorry, azdude.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 07:25 PM

Dude you need to find better ways to spend your time.

For no explaination to be found, I put my pb to sleep and it screwed it's self up so bad I thought I was looking at a new logic board and that is what was told to me by my mac store. I finaly had some time about ten days ago and go it straight with out any out lay of cash. This in part was thanks to the kind people here.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 07:43 PM

No harm done .. I was feeling bad when i first rolled down this page .. but .. if nothing else .. it did remind all of us how fragile these machines are, and I BET if he didnt post the truth, we'd be at LEAST a little bit more CAREFUL with our OWN machines. That being said .. it was kind of messed up .. and I can see why alot of people are angry with this post. As for the guy who said no one really likes you in this forum ... and ended his post with lots of head banging smileys .. i'm sure he doesnt mean it . and is just blowing off smoke. i have yet to make a "mortal enemy" from a stupid joke on a forum ... so what the hey ... The "Copy/paste G" was a really nice touch, as i've been known to do that with my pc until i discovered a virtual keyboard in windows"

Enjoy your powerbook and welcome to the mac community. Mean comments are not neccessary ... relax everybody ..

Tooki .. what does safeware cover .. and what isnt covered? i'm surprised they would cover a damaged lcd from the outside, but not wear and tear and other excluded stuff .. i figured .. someone would just chuck something at their powerbook if they had wear and tear issues on their laptop ...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: I'm somewhere in the Northwest...its raining...and I love it!
Aug 18, 2004, 01:07 AM

Okay, so...I wasn't serious

Originally posted by Lancer409:
No harm done ...
Hmm, there may be no permanent harm done (except to tavilach). But if nothing else this shows a high degree of immaturity... that and by looking at tavilach's little pic of his peach fuzzed face in his .sig. This little "gotcha", and his annoying posts that border on trolling in other forum threads, I'd say he's harmed himself from ever getting any helpful information from fellow PB owners again.

At least from me you have

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 01:56 AM

Aparently safeware covers accidental damage... that's the point. They also cover theft. Basically they are an insurance provider for mishaps beyond the users control. They aren't going to cover wear and tear... that's what a warranty (IE apple care) is for.

Tooki I'd love to hear more about your experience as I'm strongly considering getting safeware for my new powerbook before school starts... specifically what was the down time. Also, I got the ADC deal on my powerbook, but if it was broken I'd have to pay full retail to get a new one. Would safeware pay for the new one... or only give me what I paid?
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 05:30 AM

i purchased my 12in a few months ago. can i still buy safeware? if i were to spend the money, should i go with safeware or applecare? shrug

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 05:45 AM

tavi- youre an idiot. please take this place seriously. the lounge is one thing, but the other, "technical" fora are all business.

grow up- it's about time you shaped up (or shipped out).
( Last edited by d4nth3m4n; Aug 18, 2004 at 05:57 AM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by mcsharick:
Hmm, there may be no permanent harm done (except to tavilach). But if nothing else this shows a high degree of immaturity... that and by looking at tavilach's little pic of his peach fuzzed face in his .sig. This little "gotcha", and his annoying posts that border on trolling in other forum threads, I'd say he's harmed himself from ever getting any helpful information from fellow PB owners again.

At least from me you have
I have noticed a trend there. People who behave abominably in the lounge will show up needing help elsewhere, and their threads often go unanswered.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 10:28 AM

Safeware is NOT an alternative to AppleCare, they complement each other:

AppleCare extends the warranty, and explicitly excludes any accidental damage, theft, etc.
Safeware protects against everything the warranty doesn't cover (and they explicitly will not cover anything that would be covered under any warranty!). You can accidentally drop the computer, drop or spill stuff on it, run it over in the car...

You can buy Safeware at any time, and you can also cover peripherals. My Safeware covers my AlBook, digital camera, iPod, and the spare battery and AC adapter I got for the AlBook.

Safeware's claims process, for Apple products, is really easy: you call them and make a claim. They will process the claim in less than a day, and end up telling you to take it to an Apple authorized service provider. (I chose the local Apple store.) Then Apple fixes it. You can either arrange for Safeware to cut a check directly to Apple (takes more paperwork) or for you to pay Apple, and for Safeware to send you a check. All they then require is the receipts for the repair, plus the original receipt for the machine. It took all of about a week for mine.

When there is total loss, my understanding is that Safeware either buys you an identical replacement, if still available, and if not, then something new of equivalent value. I'm not certain on this, I'd ask them.

tooki

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 11:02 AM

Another example of how you alienate yourself. Work on the social skills. Hope this helps.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Forum Links
Forum Rules