Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adjusting the iMac built-in speakers: Function Keys

Adjusting the iMac built-in speakers: Function Keys
hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 1999, 04:33 PM

I need some help with the Function Keys in the Keyboard control panel (I'm using Mac OS 9). Isn't there a way it can be done as on all the PowerBooks and on the iBook. Then there is one button for volume up, one for volume down and one that mutes.

Please help me! I've been using Color Switch Pro but that's not good enough ...

burp
Dec 4, 1999, 05:19 PM

If I understand your message correctly, you want to be able to use the Function Keys (F1-F15) to set the volume on your Mac.

The only possible way of achieving this, I believe, is by writing AppleScripts for the commands you want and then assigning them to the keys you want.

For example for setting the volume to mute, you'd open the Script Editor, and write in the following:

set volume 0

Then save it as an application, and assign that application to a Function key of your choice.

The numbers you can use in AppleScript's 'set volume' command are 0-7. With 0 being mute, 1 lowest and 7 highest.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

-burp

Trapper
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 1999, 07:57 PM

Hey; that was a great tip. I tried it on my iMac and it works great. I have one question though. I am not very applescript savvy; as a matter of fact, this volume control thing was the first applescript I've ever written. However, once the script has finished running, the Finder is at the front. Is there an easy way to change the script so that I am returned to the app I was currently in, regardless of what app it was? Please let me know in as simple a way as possible. Thanks

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

burp
Dec 4, 1999, 09:27 PM

Woha. That's a bit too advanced for me, I'm just a dabbler .

I recommend you try the AppleScript forum

-burp

Forum Links
Forum Rules