Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PC 166 RAM for PowerBook G3 (Firewire) - Does it work?

PC 166 RAM for PowerBook G3 (Firewire) - Does it work?
hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2001, 06:11 AM

They're selling PC 166 laptop memory here, 256MB 144-pin chips. All the specs are correct, except the PC 166 - does it make a difference? I can use PC 66 (don't!) but what about speeds greater than the system bus? Does it automatically adjust?
If I buy it and it doesn't work, I only get a fraction of my money back ... so that's why I'm asking you.

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2001, 07:59 AM

I can't definitively answer you because I haven't used the RAM in question (hans anybody?).

But, the PC-166 is the speed rating of the RAM, so it should be able to hand any bus speed up to it, including PC-100 and 133 no problem. There is just no logical reason why it wouldn't work.

However, I recommend that you buy 2-2-2 RAM that's made specifically for your machine's memory bus. It should be cheaper anyway.

Incidentally, did you find this PC-166 RAM online?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 10:27 AM

Higher rated ram speeds generally step down to your bus speed... ie PC100 can be used in 66mhz, PC 133 can be used in PC100, etc.... so you should be okay with PC166, but it is not the same the other way around, you should not use slower rated ram (pc66) in a machine rated for pc100...
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules