Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A feature I just found

A feature I just found
Xtraz
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 03:39 AM

Alright maybe most of you already know this, but in Finder if you have a window that's partly off the screen and you try to drag a file to it, the window will slide into view.

You can even just have the title of a folder window in the bottom of your screen (dock on right or left), and it'll act like OS 9's popup folder in terms of copying files to! In fact you can have the folder pop out completely (like clicking on the popup folder in OS 9) by clicking on the green icon... and then "minimize" it back by clicking on the green icon again.

I used to use popup folders in OS 9 a lot and this seems like it could be a usable work-around for me...

[EDIT] Hmm I guess it won't hide back down after copying a file to it, but if you had it set up in the bottom initially, you can click on the green icon twice to hide it...

Juggler
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 11:32 PM

Cool!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2003, 11:37 PM

Haha, very cool.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2003, 12:26 AM

Feature I found yesterday.

Email your self a ftp address link. When you click on it in mail, it doesn't launch IE like it used to, now it mounts the server on your desktop! Simple way to send someone ftp access (kinda- not sure about read and write)
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Juggler
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 03:04 PM

Same thing happens if you click on an ftp link in your web browser (at least if you're using Safari).

J.

Vanquish
Feb 21, 2003, 03:19 PM

nice

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Xtraz:
Alright maybe most of you already know this, but in Finder if you have a window that's partly off the screen and you try to drag a file to it, the window will slide into view.
Talk about a coincidence ... I just discovered this feature myself last night!

OAW

sidecar71
Feb 22, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Xtraz:

You can even just have the title of a folder window in the bottom of your screen (dock on right or left), and it'll act like OS 9's popup folder in terms of copying files to! In fact you can have the folder pop out completely (like clicking on the popup folder in OS 9) by clicking on the green icon... and then "minimize" it back by clicking on the green icon again.

I used to use popup folders in OS 9 a lot and this seems like it could be a usable work-around for me...

[EDIT] Hmm I guess it won't hide back down after copying a file to it, but if you had it set up in the bottom initially, you can click on the green icon twice to hide it...
You might want to post this on macosxhints.com. Even if you don't, it's a great site and wonderful resource for tips like this one.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 05:00 PM

ugh this was my least favorite feature of all.
cause lots of times i'll purposely put folders almost out of site
then i go to drop a file into it and it slides over and i miss the drop and drop it into some random folder.

i'm not saying it's a bad feature, i'm saying i hate.

stew
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Email your self a ftp address link. When you click on it in mail, it doesn't launch IE like it used to, now it mounts the server on your desktop! Simple way to send someone ftp access (kinda- not sure about read and write)
Now if only ftp in the Finder were a little more reliable...except for some small downloads, it's completely unusable for me.

Stink different.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
ugh this was my least favorite feature of all.
cause lots of times i'll purposely put folders almost out of site
then i go to drop a file into it and it slides over and i miss the drop and drop it into some random folder.
Exactly, and then I have to go searching for it...can be quite a waste of time..

dudesteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2003, 12:16 AM

just undo the move w/ cmd-z instead of searching for it. Doesn't solve the problem, but at least you don't have to go searching for where you accidentally moved it.

OpenStep
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 01:29 AM

Cool feature , looks like it could have some potential with 3rd party apps

Forum Links
Forum Rules