Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail is EVIL

Mail is EVIL
FlammableYurt
Nov 18, 2001, 10:00 PM

Ok, this "mail" client that comes default with OS X is the DEVIL. By mistake I started sending a 3.4 MB file, and I don't want to send it, and the person does not want to recieve it.... IS THERE ANYWAY TO GET IT EFFECTIVELY AND ETERNALLY *OUT* OF MY OUTBOX?! I tried deleting it 3 different ways, changed as many settings in the preferences I could think of, and it still keeps on sending... I even went into the Activity Viewer and pressed Stop... but it KEPT going. Its like the energizer bunny. A lot of times it shows up in my deleted items folder or trash or whatever you want to call it... and when I empty mail's trash, the item either goes straight back to the outbox folder or just disappears but is STILL SENDING. And on top of that, Mail won't quit if it's sending a message, so I have to force quit it... Then when I go back in, guess what? IT TRIES TO SEND THE MONSTROCITY again... Mail is Apple's greatest mistake ever if it doesn't let you stop outgoing messages.
I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, and these blue, green, and purple HILLS

piracy
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2001, 11:30 PM

Christ, calm down man.

Yeah, I'm sure Mail is Apple's "biggest mistake ever" because you've got a little problem. (Yes, Mail does let you stop partially sent messages; it seems you've got a little glitch of some sort yourself, so by all means blow it way the f*ck out of proportion.)

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2001, 11:45 PM

yea man cool it.

mail is the best mail program ive ever used. i have had absolutely no problems with it. it can cancel mail being sent out. you may be experiencing a glitch in mail.

-jon

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2001, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
<STRONG>Yeah, I'm sure Mail is Apple's "biggest mistake ever" because you've got a little problem.</STRONG>
That's always helpful! Imply that he's the one with the problem instead of Mail.crapp!!! Is writing a working email program really so difficult? I've never done any programming at all, but intuitively it seems like an email program would be the easiest type, especially for a huge, experienced, and sophisticated company like Apple.

Why the heck is Mail so full of bugs? Can someone explain it? Is Apple becoming as clumsy and careless as M$? What's the deal? (And if you are about to respond with only "Mail works fine for me", or "Go pay for a M$ email program if you don't like Apple's 'free' crummy one", don't bother. I've heard it and I don't buy either answer.)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2001, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by JoNoiD:
<STRONG>mail is the best mail program ive ever used. i have had absolutely no problems with it. </STRONG>
WOW! You just said what I told you not to say, and even before I told you not to say it! Do not say that again!!!

saltines17
Senior User
Nov 19, 2001, 12:29 AM

Now, now, people, come on, help the poor guy out, he's had a stressful day

Seriously though, how the hell DO you cancel outgoing mail?!?!

diamondsw
Senior User
Nov 19, 2001, 12:55 AM

I've also seen occasional problems getting Mail to stop doing something naughty, although I do feel the poster is being a bit harsh.

One solution is to delete the ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Outbox.mbox. That will kill off the entire outgoing mail database (not the mail that's finished sending though). Should do the trick.

jblakeh1
Senior User
Nov 19, 2001, 01:39 AM

I can't cancel anything Mail is trying to do, either. You people are vicious.

Another less elegant solution: I've created a set of bogus network settings (in my case, ethernet, which I never use), and if Mail won't stop doing something, select them before launching mail. It will produce a connection error, and an opportunity to delete the file. Since swapping the network settings is easy, this is relatively quick.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 02:25 AM

Mail works fine for me.

Archangel
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 02:40 AM

Mail works fine for me. . .and I'm even running it on an MS exchange network, so I have to SMTP in.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 02:54 AM

To the people that have Mail.app working just dandy, I'm really happy for you. But posting that here is like saying "gee the sky is blue" when someone's trying to ask you for a hand when they're about to fall off a cliff. In other words, it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever in this thread.

Flammable Yurt is having a serious problem with Mail.app. If I had that happening to me then I would be every bit as frustrated and pissed off as he is right now. So cut the guy some slack. These forums were based on helping people with problems like this. So far diamondsw is the only one to step up to bat...
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

syrinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2001, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>

That's always helpful! Imply that he's the one with the problem instead of Mail.crapp!!! Is writing a working email program really so difficult? I've never done any programming at all, but intuitively it seems like an email program would be the easiest type, especially for a huge, experienced, and sophisticated company like Apple.
</STRONG>
As a developer who has worked on a number of applications, including email programs, I can tell you that Mail is NOT a simple application. The idea seems simple... send, receive, view messages, but there are a ton of intricacies. Not the least of which is supporting a number of protocols, (IMAP, POP) all used in different and not always correct ways by the thousands of mail servers out there. You have to be able to handle all sorts of special cases (For instance - you are in the process of communicating with a server and it stops communicating back - when do you assume it's okay to drop connection? In some circumstances you might have to wait a couple of minutes. If you drop early, you may always prevent communication with someone, but if connection is broken, you are waiting for something that'll never happen and the user gets very mad. Further, when someone cancels some action (you can supposedly do this with just about anything in Mail), you could be at any stage of its progress, having followed any of a bunch of code paths. It is not trivial to figure out how to cleanly stop whatever your are doing at any point in every action's progress. There are usually ways, but it isn't always clean and easy.).

Finally, if you read most of the complaints about Mail, they are of the form "it's pretty, but unusable until it supports &lt;insert pet feature here&gt;". Everyone has a pet feature. Mail is in no way perfect, and there certainly are some important things left unaddressed, but it is not fair to say that it is easy to make Mail "good". Because what people here consider "acceptable" is often comically much. Here, for instance, is a series of five messages lambasting Mail as though it were spawn of the devil just because there's some case where it's not easy to cancel an email message you have already tried to send. Sure, it would be nice for this to be easy... and sure it is a bug if it doesn't work, but just realize that there are people who are just as adamant about any of hundreds of other features for Mail.

Mail is young yet. Remember DP4? It barely launched. That was unusable.[/LIST]

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Arty50:
<STRONG>To the people that have Mail.app working just dandy, I'm really happy for you. But posting that here is like saying "gee the sky is blue" when someone's trying to ask you for a hand when they're about to fall off a cliff. In other words, it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever in this thread.</STRONG>
It's plenty relevant. Just because one person has one problem with the app does not mean the app is garbage. Anyways, I was doing it to spite John Tewksbury for implying that I was a liar ("...I don't buy either answer.")

<STRONG>Flammable Yurt is having a serious problem with Mail.app. If I had that happening to me then I would be every bit as frustrated and pissed off as he is right now. So cut the guy some slack. These forums were based on helping people with problems like this. So far diamondsw is the only one to step up to bat...</STRONG>
...and diamondsw pretty much has it covered. Why would I need to repeat what he said?

And when will people stop calling it "Mail.app"? It's "Mail." Just like it's "Finder," and not "Finder.app."

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2001, 09:23 AM

Mail seems to work fine for some folks. Personally, I had minor probs with it (wasn't very responsive) and it lacked features I wanted.

If you're frustrated with Mail, can I suggest PowerMail? I made the switch and am very happy. And that $50 PowerMail costs can save you a ton of frustration.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2001, 09:36 AM

why is Outlook Express free with OS 9 and yet the closest equivalent in OS X is Entourage which is not free? Outlook Express is by far the best mail app I've ever used but I doubt we'll be seeing it in OS X for obvious reasons - ship an OS with the default browser belonging to M$ alongside pre-installed Apple Mail app. Ack! I remember the days Netscape used to be the default pre installed web browser in OS 8.

what the dilly yo. where's Apple's browser (Cyber Dog?) and Apple's HTML editor (the one shipped with OS X Public Beta)?

Off topic - I want Net Meeting for OS X!! :o
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 11:33 AM

[extreme close-up. two bloodshot eyes half closed.... a small section of forehead... beads of sweat are breaking out on the section of forehead and running down into the eyes.

we become aware of a incessant and indistinct murmuring and muttering.

camera pulls back slightly... two chapped and bloodied lips come into view. they are twitching continually.... drool froths at the corners of the mouth. the murmuring is becoming louder and more disitnct...]

MURMURING VOICE: no i mustn't i mustn't i mustn't no it doesn't matter don't think about it i mustn't no i mustn't mustn't mustn't forget it mustn't mustn't mustn't mustn't think about it...

[suddenly the eyes spring open, pupils dilated in terror]

VOICE: [screams!] noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[camera pulls back reveal the whole of the owner of the voice and eyes. a blood, sh*t and god-knows-what-else stained figure tightly bound in a straightjacket is threshing around uncontrollably and dashing his head against a padded wall]

FIGURE: nooooooooooooo!!!!!! i hate it!!!! i hate it!!! i hate it!!!!! i hate it!!!!!........

[cut to control room. red tinted under emergency lighting. a large monitor screen soundlessly displays the straightjacketed figure contorting in his madness. klaxxons hoot continuously. there is an air of barely controlled crisis. white coated figures punch frantically at buttons on computers front of them]

WHITECOAT: my god! it's inmate no. 2346!
WHITECOAT2: [horrified] not the mail.crapp guy?!!!
WHITECOAT: i thought he was over it. he's been doing so well!
WHITECOAT2: something's set him off. and this time it's worse than ever!
WHITECOAT: [frightened] what are we going to do?!
[camera zooms in for extreme close-up on the terrified eyes of whitecoat2]
WHITECOAT2: what can we do... [hysterically] what can anyone do?!!!

[cut to large gothic castle atop a mountain. silhouetted against the light. flashes of thunder and lightning rage about the battlements]

[inside the castle. a large vaulted room lit by flaming torches in brackets on the walls. seated at ranks of tables are figures, heads bowed typing away at gumdrop coloured computer terminals. one entire wall of the room is filled with an enormous flat panel display screen which is showing a map of the world. across the map are thousands of small icons depicting a time-bomb ticking away beside a large blue american postage stamp featuring some sort of bird of prey. every few minutes in one of these icons, the bomb 'explodes' [very slowly- but with nice transparency and drop shadow effects] and the icon turns into a small figure threshing in a straightjacket.]

[camera pans to a suntanned figure wearing a black polo-necked jumper who is seated on a raised diais in the middle of the room. as he strokes a large persian cat on his lap and surveys the display screen an evil smile flickers around his lips. still smiling he reaches over to a small table at his side and lifts a smallish box into view. he begins to read from the blurb on the packaging... ]

POLONECK MAN: introducing the new $600 'i-chill'. this revolutionary new product from apple computer is implanted directly into the user's brain and prevents the build up of stress that badly designed computer software can cause...

[etc. etc]

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2001, 02:21 PM

Ah, I knew m a d r a would make an appearance on this thread sooner or later.

I do have to say however, that Mail.crapp should be firmly planted in the "suck" category. I've never found it simple to make the damn thing cooperate, and I've used many an email client in my time.

ha!

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2001, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>I've never found it simple to make the damn thing cooperate, and I've used many an email client in my time.</STRONG>
remember the times when there were plenty of competing nets around in the world? i remember the early 80s when i was a node in the fido-net (heard it still exists). when i wanted to send an email to a friend in the u.s. who used what we now refer to as "the internet", you had to have the most up-to-date version of a huge text file called "gator". in that text file, you had a list of different hosts and what networks they knew. so you often had to use several nodes to have your message go from one network to another.

you'd add all of the different "hops" in the order they'd have to be traversed to the head of your message with the first "hop" in the subject-line. the last line below the list of "hops" would become your subject in the last network.

if one of those "hops" was offline or broken, your mail would never arrive, it wouldn't arrive either if you made a mistake. and since each server removed "its" line from the message, it was not possible to write an error message back to you. so you never knew whether your mail had actually arrived or not.

now, that's what i call uncooperative. i like mail. it's good for writing e-mails. nothing more, nothing less. none of those monolithic all-in-one applications that can even make world peace once you found the settings.

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2001, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by jblakeh1:
<STRONG>Another less elegant solution: I've created a set of bogus network settings (in my case, ethernet, which I never use), and if Mail won't stop doing something, select them before launching mail.</STRONG>
Though I do like mail.app I have had problems canceling messages I don't want to send, because even if you force quit on next launch it sends it anyway before you can even try to hit stop..

Never thought of the above solution but thats a good idea, but instead of creating a bogus set, you could just go to the network pref pane, and from the show pop up near the top, select "active network ports" and just turn off your modem or ethernet until the purpose is served.
moof. home of the quintuple edit.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2001, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by seb2:
<STRONG>

remember the times when there were plenty of competing nets around in the world? i remember the early 80s when i was a node in the fido-net (heard it still exists). when i wanted to send an email to a friend in the u.s. who used what we now refer to as "the internet", you had to have the most up-to-date version of a huge text file called "gator". in that text file, you had a list of different hosts and what networks they knew. so you often had to use several nodes to have your message go from one network to another.

you'd add all of the different "hops" in the order they'd have to be traversed to the head of your message with the first "hop" in the subject-line. the last line below the list of "hops" would become your subject in the last network.

if one of those "hops" was offline or broken, your mail would never arrive, it wouldn't arrive either if you made a mistake. and since each server removed "its" line from the message, it was not possible to write an error message back to you. so you never knew whether your mail had actually arrived or not.

now, that's what i call uncooperative. i like mail. it's good for writing e-mails. nothing more, nothing less. none of those monolithic all-in-one applications that can even make world peace once you found the settings.</STRONG>
I can also write emails, nothing less, nothing more, using Mail. Actually I would like it to do a little more. I'd like to behave itself, so that I can reliably send the mail I write. No matter, I'm happy using other clients.

You're absolutely right, the old days sucked. However, between a horse-drawn buggy missing a wheel and a new car which doesn't run properly, which gets you from point A to point B faster?

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
<STRONG>It's plenty relevant. Just because one person has one problem with the app does not mean the app is garbage. Anyways, I was doing it to spite John Tewksbury for implying that I was a liar ("...I don't buy either answer.")</STRONG>
[Why oh why do I have to get involved in these troll fests?]

Dude if you have nothing to offer in the way of help then anything you say is irrelevant to the discussion. It's that simple.

But since you feel a need to get in a pissing match, Mail (sans '.app') is a piece o' shite. Guess what I use in X? Claris Emailer. Yes, that over 5 year old email program that wasn't supported beginning with system 8, yet somehow it's still going even in X. It hasn't crashed on me once, not a single solitary time, in 5 years. It's never f'd up a delivery, failed to cancel sending a message, etc. And most of all, it's feature set and UI are vastly superior to Mail. It's over five years old. Apple owns the rights to it. They could update it for X. But instead we get Mail? WTF!

<STRONG>...and diamondsw pretty much has it covered. Why would I need to repeat what he said?</STRONG>
Exactly. In fact, why would you need to say anything at all?

I feel I've gotten a bit too personal with this, and for that I apologize. But geez, if you had the same problem and your beloved Mail was now fuxored, then you'd have said the same thing as the original post. Instead we get the wonderfully insightful "It's works great for me" and a completely irrelevant and weak defense of a mediocre email application.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Arty50 ]

FlammableYurt  (op)
Nov 19, 2001, 04:17 PM

I like mail too... All I want to be able to do is send, recieve, and be able to cancel outgoing messages without turning off my network or deleting some file... It frustrates me when I want to send an important message right away, but can't because there is a 3.4 MB file first in the queue uploading at a rate that would take less time if I just walked to the person's home and gave the message to them... Mail is simple, and *generally* works well, but I don't give any leeway when such an important function is completely missing... I just want a button!
I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, and these blue, green, and purple HILLS

NeilCharter
Senior User
Nov 19, 2001, 04:27 PM

Let me be the first one to offer some advice (I take that back-someone did post something helpful).

If you can't stop the message being sent, you could try force quitting the app. Then restart it again and quickly go under mailbox and select go offline. Probably that should allow you to delete the file from your outbox.

Hope that helps.

Personally I think mail is great, but I'm not a power user, so I don't have huge demands.

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2001, 05:20 PM

Like Nell says, you can select that mailbox to be Offline, or, if Mail is really misbehaving...

1) Quit Mail. Preferably by using Quit, but Force Quit will do it too.

2) Open up your Network panel of System Preferences.

3) In the top pop-up (Locations), select New Location. Name it Offline.

4) In the Offline setup, select Active Network Ports in the Show: pop-up.

5) Unselect everything.

6) Save this Location.

7) Apple-&gt;Locations-&gt;Offline

8) Re-open Mail.

This *ensures* that Mail won't try and send the message. I've found the Offline to be darned handy when literally being offline with my laptop, as well.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2001, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>...
However, between a horse-drawn buggy missing a wheel and a new car which doesn't run properly, which gets you from point A to point B faster? </STRONG>
true. but to stick to that comparison: our garage (apple) is constantly working to get the last loose screw tightened and to even make the light in the glove compartment brighter.

i *know* that mail is not perfect but i like it a lot better than other e-mail-clients. i think that an e-mail-client is nothing so complex (from the point of view of a user) that it couldn't have a very intuitive interface that requires reading a lot of readmes and help-files. mail so far is the only client that meets this criterion for me.

it's not yet 12 o'clock by steve's definition, so give him time til then.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 08:20 PM

Art, I like how you single out the people who are not having problems with Mail. I guess our opinions don't count when it comes to "Apple's greatest mistake ever," eh? ("In fact, why would you need to say anything at all?")

<STRONG>Dude if you have nothing to offer in the way of help then anything you say is irrelevant to the discussion. It's that simple.</STRONG>
Which is it? Are we helping the guy or discussing Mail? It's seems to me FlammableYurt received help, and John Tewksbury turned the thread's topic onto Mail in general. Make up your mind.

Further, I don't care what email client you use. I'm happy you think Claris Emailer has a "feature set and UI [that] are vastly superior to Mail['s]" but that's your opinion, just like "Mail works fine for me" is my opinion. Oops, I forgot; your word is scripture.

<STRONG>...if you had the same problem and your beloved Mail was now fuxored, then you'd have said the same thing as the original post.</STRONG>
Actually, no; I'd be calm and employ common sense instead of flaming a company that provides a service for free.

<STRONG>I feel I've gotten a bit too personal with this, and for that I apologize.</STRONG>
I missed your original post, but I'm sure it was a doozy.

Oh, and did you call my first two posts worthy of a troll?

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2001, 09:23 PM

Hey guys,

I just set up my mom on OSX on a brand new iBook over the phone.

She is 63 yrs old and has hardly any computer experience, let alone mac experience. Within an hour, she was able to boot into OSX, hook up to her cable modem, create a mac.com email address, surf the internet, and of course, check and send mail from mail.app.

Apple is doing something right, people. Thanks apple, for making what could have been a complete nightmare into something great.

If SHE can understand mail.app and how it works, I'm lovin' mail.

BTW, what's the best way to filter out junk mail from mail.app?
(for me)

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2001, 02:12 PM

Um. SMTP is like the ONLY way to send mail dude.

Originally posted by Archangel:
<STRONG>Mail works fine for me. . .and I'm even running it on an MS exchange network, so I have to SMTP in. </STRONG>

str1
Nov 20, 2001, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by FlammableYurt:
<STRONG>I like mail too... All I want to be able to do is send, recieve, and be able to cancel outgoing messages without turning off my network or deleting some file... It frustrates me when I want to send an important message right away, but can't because there is a 3.4 MB file first in the queue uploading at a rate that would take less time if I just walked to the person's home and gave the message to them... Mail is simple, and *generally* works well, but I don't give any leeway when such an important function is completely missing... I just want a button!</STRONG>
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this or not, but if you click on the spinning arrows, you get a progress indicator complete with stop buttons. no idea how to get the file out of your outbox...perhaps deleting the preference?

Cheers
Scott

saltines17
Senior User
Nov 20, 2001, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by str1:
<STRONG>

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this or not, but if you click on the spinning arrows, you get a progress indicator complete with stop buttons.
Scott</STRONG>
Yes, but when you click stop, the file transfer *DOES NOT* stop. The button becomes greyed out, but the transfer percentage continues rising until the message is sent. [/LIST]

str1
Nov 20, 2001, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
<STRONG>

Yes, but when you click stop, the file transfer *DOES NOT* stop. The button becomes greyed out, but the transfer percentage continues rising until the message is sent. [/LIST]</STRONG>
Wow! That's completely crazy. I just tried to stop sending myself a test 2.1 meg file and sure enough...greys out, but keeps sending. What happens if you remove the file before it's finished sending?

Cheeers
Scott

silverlode
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2001, 06:11 PM

Mail was only included as a courtesy until MS can get Outlook Express going for OS X.

Mail seems like a nice little app, though.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2001, 11:06 PM

silverlode,
Where did you hear this? I have always heard that OE Express is dead and that Entourage is it. It is hard to believe that mail is just a stop gap by Apple to wait on Microsoft but stranger things have happened.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: kcmac ]

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2001, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Kickaha:
<STRONG>Like Nell says, you can select that mailbox to be Offline, or, if Mail is really misbehaving...
1) Quit Mail. Preferably by using Quit, but Force Quit will do it too.
2) Open up your Network panel of System Preferences.
3) In the top pop-up (Locations), select New Location. Name it Offline.
4) In the Offline setup, select Active Network Ports in the Show: pop-up.
5) Unselect everything.
6) Save this Location.
7) Apple-&gt;Locations-&gt;Offline
8) Re-open Mail.
This *ensures* that Mail won't try and send the message. I've found the Offline to be darned handy when literally being offline with my laptop, as well. </STRONG>
Thanks for the tip, but there has GOT to be an easier way! Imagine your mom trying to stop Mail's antics that way!

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2001, 05:54 AM

Have you tried Window &gt; Activity Viewer?

My experience with Mail has been all the better for knowing about that feature. It shows you exactly what mail is sending or receiving and there's a cancel button!

Chris

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 06:05 AM

Have you tried Window &gt; Activity Viewer?

My experience with Mail has been all the better for knowing about that feature. It shows you exactly what mail is sending or receiving and there's a cancel button!
yes. but the cancel button disnae work. that's the whole point!

silverlode
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2001, 12:47 PM

I didn't hear that anywhere. I guess I just assumed.

After my previous post, I've reconsidered. You're right in that OE for Mac probably is dead. But that leaves mac users without a free email client from Microsoft, which I suppose is where Mail fits in.

The one thing I really like about Mail is the ability to set up different accounts, and view their inboxes separately. I like having categorizing my email like that.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2001, 04:29 PM

No, no, no... that isn't something you have to do *every time*, that's just the setup.

When Mail goes blooie, select Offline, kill the send, delete the msg in the Out mailbox, select back to your old Location.

C'mon, even *my* Mom can figure *that* one out.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 05:13 PM

I can't believe I'm stupid enough to reply to this. Oh well, once more unto the breach my friends. I'm sorry for the OT also.

Originally posted by dtriska:
<STRONG>Art, I like how you single out the people who are not having problems with Mail. I guess our opinions don't count when it comes to "Apple's greatest mistake ever," eh? ("In fact, why would you need to say anything at all?")</STRONG>
There is a linguistic device used all over the world and it's called 'exaggeration.' You might want to look it up in a dictionary sometime. Flammable Yurt was very frustrated with mail app and applied this 'exaggeration' quite well. Besides you posted "Mail works fine for me" long before the conversational matter split in two.

<STRONG>Which is it? Are we helping the guy or discussing Mail? It's seems to me FlammableYurt received help, and John Tewksbury turned the thread's topic onto Mail in general. Make up your mind.</STRONG>
Did his problem get fixed? I've seen lots of help here, but no confirmation of a solution. Besides, the bug still exists no matter what has happened. So that subject matter of the thread goes on along with this stupid argument over mail. If it works for you, great. I don't care for it. To each their own.

<STRONG>Further, I don't care what email client you use. I'm happy you think Claris Emailer has a "feature set and UI [that] are vastly superior to Mail['s]" but that's your opinion, just like "Mail works fine for me" is my opinion. Oops, I forgot; your word is scripture.
</STRONG>

This is a good point, seriously. My word is not scripture. I like Emailer a lot. It fits my needs. There are other apps out there that do more now, and that's fine. Heck Mail does stuff Emailer can't. But as far as filtering and more advanced mail handling features go, Emailer still rocks. One of these days I'll migrate to something else, but for now it's still great.

<STRONG>Actually, no; I'd be calm and employ common sense instead of flaming a company that provides a service for free.</STRONG>
I'm gonna call BS on this one. Sure your post may not have employed an excessive use of the angry smiley; but if your mail application of choice was completely frozen and unusable, I think you'd be a little peeved.

<STRONG>Oh, and did you call my first two posts worthy of a troll?</STRONG>
No. Only your first post was a useless troll. The others were fine since they were rebuttals of my posts.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Arty50 ]

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 05:14 PM

i like the way when you get a spam HTML email in your inbox entitled sommit like "earn $$$$ working from home" and you click on it and hit delete, mail spends about 30 seconds rendering it first and then deletes it.

makes me chuckle affectionately every time!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2001, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>i like the way when you get a spam HTML email in your inbox entitled sommit like "earn $$$$ working from home" and you click on it and hit delete, mail spends about 30 seconds rendering it first and then deletes it. Makes me chuckle affectionately every time! </STRONG>
I love that too! Wheeeeeee! It's even better when it spends 2 or 3 minutes trying and can't finish rendering it and you finally move onto another application or force quit Mail.crapp. (But then it's very complicated to program an email application to go ahead and delete a message WHEN you delete it. It might think that you actually want to see it all BEFORE you delete it! Very complex stuff!)

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 11:38 PM

<STRONG>There is a linguistic device used all over the world and it's called 'exaggeration.' You might want to look it up in a dictionary sometime. Flammable Yurt was very frustrated with mail app and applied this 'exaggeration' quite well.</STRONG>
Oh, you must be talking about hyperbole. I've never heard "exaggeration" being described as a "linguistic device."

<STRONG>Besides you posted "Mail works fine for me" long before the conversational matter split in two.</STRONG>
Looks to me like the second post went "off topic." Certainly, by the fourth post, the topic of whether Mail is a good app was brought up. I chimed in at the ninth post. You do the math.

<STRONG>Did his problem get fixed? I've seen lots of help here, but no confirmation of a solution.</STRONG>
That's up to FlammableYurt (the correct spelling, btw) to tell us. Solutions have been provided. Most of the time, it seems like people take help, and then never come back to tell everyone if the solutions provided worked.

<STRONG>I'm gonna call BS on this one. Sure your post may not have employed an excessive use of the angry smiley; but if your mail application of choice was completely frozen and unusable, I think you'd be a little peeved.</STRONG>
First, I don't use smilies. Sure, I find them funny in appearance, but I absolutely hate communicating through them.

Second, I don't get "peeved" about bugs that come with free software. I either deal with and fix 'em, or I move on.

<STRONG>Only your first post was a useless troll.</STRONG>
"Mail works fine for me." is the post of a troll?! Man, talk about operating on different wavelengths.

Forum Links
Forum Rules