Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Heroes: New NBC drama

Heroes: New NBC drama (Page 7)
Mithras
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 10:20 PM

I won't be seeing the finale until it's posted on Rewind, so don't nobody say nothin' yet

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 11:39 PM

Wow.

Thoroughly dissapointed.

I won't say anything more until more people have seen it, but wow. I think I'll go cry a little.

Lava Lamp Freak
May 21, 2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Wow.

Thoroughly dissapointed.

I won't say anything more until more people have seen it, but wow. I think I'll go cry a little.
I concur. While season 1 was great, the finale was a lackluster ending to the season. I felt like the whole show had been working up to something greater than what actually happened. I feel a little let down.

It still beat the crap out of 24. But thats a topic for another thread.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 12:08 AM

"How To Stop An Exploding Man" : with as little action as possible.

They saved the world under five minutes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2007, 12:58 AM

Worst. Finale. Ever.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 01:23 AM

I was really looking forward to the Sylar vs. Peter fight. Boy, was that a huge disappointment.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

BlueSky
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 01:33 AM

It was like being invited to a Thanksgiving feast and then being fed little spoonfuls of cranberries for an hour, then at the end you get half a fork's worth of dry turkey meat. Such is the mediocrity of TV Land. My gf doesn't get why I'm pissed. Tim Kring, kiss my ass.

Incidentally, I predicted the ending such as it was accurately earlier in this thread. And yes I want a goddamn medal.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 01:44 AM

I'm pissed that Sylar went down so easy. Seriously, Hiro was like 50 yards away and Sylar decided to use his telekinesis AFTER he got stabbed??!! Also, what was the purpose of Hiro training with his dad? All he had to do was sneak up behind Sylar (what happened to his super hearing?) and use a lame ass sword thrust? I was really looking forward to some kick ass sword fighting.
( Last edited by Stogieman; May 22, 2007 at 02:00 AM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 02:49 AM

I'm bummed. Heroes has been just about the best TV I've seen in a long time, but what a lame finale. I feel like it could've kicked ass if it had been an hour longer — or even half an hour — but they just had to cram too much stuff into the finale, so the climax wound up being five minutes of various people punching Sylar. Heck, not counting all the recaps of last week, the actual episode was only about 30 minutes. And I can't believe they'd waste such an awesome villain like that.

Company Man was what this episode should have been.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 08:29 AM

It could have been much stronger, but I liked it. The climax was very much rushed, and Hiro wasn't used effectively at all. I think the best way to explain Hiro's role in it is to say that Sylar was distracted and incredulous that Hiro could go through with the attack at all, but that's not a great explanation. I liked Sylar's impression of Neo bullet time, however. I also want to defend how they used Peter in the confrontation with Sylar. I was probably not alone in hoping for an epic battle akin to what we saw in Five Years Past, but one has to remember that Peter is still inexperienced in using his powers and has the added burden of not being able to control Ted's power properly at all. It makes sense that Sylar would still have an upper hand at this point in a 1 on 1 confrontation. Yes, it amounts to a let down, but I think it's truer to the characters that they didn't have an epic battle then; at least there's the prospect of seeing that battle in the future.

Of course, it should have been two hours - that's how long people were saying it would be. There wasn't enough time to visit various characters, and much of the time available was squandered on unnecessary scenes. (The hallucination with Simone's father was interesting but of peripheral concern.) I heard somewhere that the typical episode has 7 hours of footage cut from it and that the finale would have 14 hours cut. If that's true at all, it's even more disappointing that they didn't do a two parter finale.

I do like how they handled the ending with Nathan and Peter. It's fairly clear how events transpired differently in the Five Years Past timeline versus was actually happened. It's just too bad that they crammed it all in one regular episode.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 22, 2007 at 08:39 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 08:42 AM

I agree, a little of a let down, but it works. Like Simone's father said, it all revolved around love and that was pretty much the end of the episode.
Ando must've been kinda pissed off that he didn't get to stand around and watch the battle. . . like everyone else, except Niki who got to hit Sylar with the parking meter (I thought that was cool, and a nice way to give Peter her powers).

I was really disappointed when they showed Sylar's blood trail into the sewer. Yeah he was a cool character, but enough. Move on from Sylar. And I found it a bit strange that with all of the police and ambulances around he could drag himself across the courtyard and down the sewer without anyone noticing?

Volume two does look cool.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 09:26 AM

I don't understand what the heck's supposed to happen in volume two. It wasn't even a cliffhanger they left it at?

It shows Hiro travelled back in time. Are we supposed to believe that volume two takes place in the 1600's in Japan? After seeing that, it didn't make me say "OMG I HAVE TO SEE THE NEXT EPISODE!" like every other episode has. The finale was lame, with an even lamer intro to season 2.

Heroes is one of, if not the best, TV show I have ever seen. Up until the finale, I was completely enthralled in the Heroes world. Now, I am kinda pissed at the last episode, because nothing really happened, and also because there are not future episodes to answer all of the unanswered questions (and there are tons that this finale just left hanging out to dry.)

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 22, 2007, 09:37 AM

I'm on the fence about it. I'll agree that the right was lame. But I like that Nathan sacrificed himself to save the people. Is Parkman still alive? He didn't look alive but they didn't cover him up as they were putting him into the ambulence...so I wasn't sure. Otherwise I'm assuming Peter's still alive and Syler will show up again.

Cipher13
May 22, 2007, 09:48 AM

In a word: lame. Not even so much because of the fight (or lack thereof), but because of the following:

Sylar surviving? COME ON. That pisses me off so much. As if you'd stab the supervillain once then walk away... I'd have hacked him into little ****ing pieces.

It also pisses me off that sitting on a loungechair here I can think of better things for them to do with their own powers. Why not get Molly to search for Peter/Nathan at the end? Why doesn't Hiro freeze time to do **** rather than teleporting out when he gets ****ed up? Fair enough he's inexperienced, but nonetheless... he was able to freeze time on demand early in the series (girl in front of bus, anyone?), so why not now?

Also, if I was Peter, I'd have done a quick run-by of everyone there to grab their powers, even if they're not explained to him at the time. DL's power could be great against Sylar.

Why didn't Peter fly off himself, rather than having Nathan carry him off? Why didn't Hiro teleport Nathan out of there when he was high enough? (Again, you can put that down to inexperience... but still).

Ah well.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 10:09 AM

Thoughts:

You don't know that Nathan didn't pull him into the atmosphere and leave him be to explode.
You don't know that Peter didn't survive.
Sylar survived, yes, but who's the other "boogie man" that Molly mentioned?

I agree that the ending was rushed, but it was a good setup for season 2.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 10:14 AM

...if it only had some exploding boobs.

Cipher13
May 22, 2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Thoughts:

You don't know that Nathan didn't pull him into the atmosphere and leave him be to explode.
You don't know that Peter didn't survive.
Sylar survived, yes, but who's the other "boogie man" that Molly mentioned?

I agree that the ending was rushed, but it was a good setup for season 2.
The first point is valid.

I'd also say that somehow, Peter almost certainly survived. He kinda has to. Maybe he tuned into Hiro's powers?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Sylar surviving? COME ON. That pisses me off so much. As if you'd stab the supervillain once then walk away... I'd have hacked him into little ****ing pieces.
I don't think most people would have. Hiro had just found the courage to injure another human being at all — if you expected him to just start hacking away at Sylar on the ground, you've watched too many horror movies.

It also pisses me off that sitting on a loungechair here I can think of better things for them to do with their own powers. Why not get Molly to search for Peter/Nathan at the end?
Uh…what? When are you thinking? I don't remember anyone going, "Oh, I really wish I could find Peter and the badly charred corpse that was Nathan, but I just can't figure out how one might go about it." I assumed they were going to find him but were busy recovering from the fight.

Also, if I was Peter, I'd have done a quick run-by of everyone there to grab their powers, even if they're not explained to him at the time. DL's power could be great against Sylar.
Eh, I don't know how useful that would have been. Peter really needs to learn how to control his powers better first. As we saw last night, his mind reading still just kicks in randomly rather than at will, and he apparently can't control Ted's power as well as Sylar can despite having possessed it for longer.

Why didn't Peter fly off himself, rather than having Nathan carry him off?
They pretty much had Peter explain that: He had to put all his concentration into not exploding and couldn't control his powers. Even if he had been able to fly, it probably would have made him go boom immediately.
Chuck
___

Cipher13
May 22, 2007, 10:34 AM

Well, I'd have certainly thought "****, they have superhero powers, maybe they survived...", then get Molly to search.

But yeah, fair enough. I'm pissed about Sylar living so I'm picking the rest of it apart unnecessarily.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 22, 2007, 10:42 AM

I was expecting some kind of shockwave from the blast to break some windows or something. Even at that distance an atomic blast could be felt from quite a ways away.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 10:42 AM

Yeah, my girl and I were both kind of annoyed by the lack of anything epic happening. It did seem like there was a lot of needless stuff happening, though it all revolved around character development. Mostly peter and nathan. It should have been a two hour ep with a bit of action, something the show has kind of lacked and something you need when most of what you do is to emulate comic book story lines. While I do enjoy that they clued us in on next season, it really couldn't have been too tough to make it a two hour ordeal ESPECIALLY when you're trying to converge 5 or 6 story lines and kill off some people.

One thing we probably have to keep in mind, if we're spit-balling power talk, that Sylar's original ability is to look at something and see how it works. Be it clocks or brains. Thus we can probably guess that he doesn't have to spend a whole lot of time learning how to use his abilities, or that his 'super learning ability' he took from the waitress helps him out a bit as well. Peter on the other hand needs time to learn his powers. Thus why he probably never tried to turn invisible, stop time, and then cut sylar's brain out. That would have made the most sense.

This ending annoyed me in a show I have so far highly enjoyed. I hope they find some ways of improving next season.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 10:57 AM

Nathan shouldn't have come back. He had already bought into the idea of letting everyone die. Abandoning would have caused a nice conflict/split between the brothers for next season.

The whole Nikki Crew needn't have been in there, they could've all been watching DL die in the building.

I don't know what Hiro could do. His Dad taught him to be a master sword fighter so he could.... jab a guy in the sternum and then be thrown back in time.

Have some slow motion crying over DL during a long Heroes-shootout between Sylar and Peter as Nathan looks out over the dark sky in a plane with his mother. Then when Peter stars to blow, Claire is unable to pull the trigger, so he decides to fly up into the air. Nathan sees the fireball in the sky, and knows what he committed his brother to.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 11:03 AM

Did we know Noah's name was Noah before now? (HRG guy)

Cipher13
May 22, 2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Nope. Thought it was a nice touch.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No, they had been going all Kill Bill with it where anytime it seemed like his name was about to be said, it would get hidden by something else. I remember in the episode where Sylar infiltrates his house, Mrs. Bennet was all like, "It's so weird hearing people call him 'Mr. Bennet.' To me he's always just been—Mr. Muggles, don't bite that!"
Chuck
___

Laminar
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 11:10 AM

I thought it was kind of dramatic when they zoomed in on him and he said, "Call me Noah," and I couldn't remember if anyone had said that before.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2007, 02:43 PM

It was dramatic, but I didn't get the point. Was there any kind of importance to his name being "Noah"?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 03:04 PM

Maybe if he was in charge of getting two of each clone on a large boat to escape a coming flood, but otherwise I don't get the reference.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2007, 03:22 PM

I think in the long run, I'll like it more. Got it off iTunes so I'll watch again. I think it stayed truer to the story and the characters even if people were expecting a big superpowered battle akin to 5 Years After.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It was dramatic, but I didn't get the point. Was there any kind of importance to his name being "Noah"?
It was just something fans wanted to know.
Chuck
___

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 03:35 PM

heroes had a great story line and butchered it up with crappy acting and weak writing. for people to even consider it one of the best tv shows on television is a joke. hopefully season 1 gave em enough firepower to axe the bad writers and hire some decent actors for 'volume 2'. ill still watch, but there are tons wrong with this show. for one, lets talk about how soap operaish everybody acts. one second you're evil, next second your a good guy and vice versa. who REALLY changes their demeanor in a snap of a finger like that.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Laminar
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 03:41 PM

YOU SUCK YOU JERK. I HATE YOUR GUTS. ...lower case....

Laminar
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 03:42 PM

I'm looking forward to next season.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 03:53 PM

I was under the impression that the shape shifting girl kept hinting towards the idea that that isn't actually what she looked like. I was a little upset that when Nikki knocked her out that she didn't shape shift to her 'actual' look.

Or am I way off and that is actually what she looks like?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 03:57 PM

When she was eating a ton it sounded like she was actually fat but she just appeared skinny to everyone. I was hoping to see her "real" form too.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I was under the impression that the shape shifting girl kept hinting towards the idea that that isn't actually what she looked like. I was a little upset that when Nikki knocked her out that she didn't shape shift to her 'actual' look.

Or am I way off and that is actually what she looks like?
Maybe the entire ending of the finale is just another illusion created by her.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

loomitz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 04:27 PM

hiii all the people im new here i read some comments and is true is a bad end, i only have one word to explain the end of season is too yataaa xD

Laminar
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Maybe the entire ending of the finale is just another illusion created by her.
Wouldn't that just be great.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 04:38 PM

For everyone disappointed that Sylar is alive - don't be so sure. The blood streaks on the ground sure looked like drag marks to me. Maybe the "bigger evil" Molly talked about got to him before the cops got there...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
I think in the long run, I'll like it more. Got it off iTunes so I'll watch again. I think it stayed truer to the story and the characters even if people were expecting a big superpowered battle akin to 5 Years After.
While I wanted that, that wasn't even the main thing. I mean, compare it to my favorite episode, Company Man. It had an action-packed last act with Claire literally burning her skin off to stop Ted from melting down, but it was also much more poignant and really made you feel for Claire and HRG. Nathan's sacrifice was good, but the overall emotional oomph wasn't there for the episode as a whole. It played out too quickly for that.

And aside from Nathan and Claire, most of the character development of the season was completely irrelevant. HRG did jack ****, Matt acted like an idiot, Niki ex Machina beaned Sylar for no apparent reason (she didn't know either of these people!), Peter just got completely owned and Sylar conveniently lost the incredible power and quick wits that he's had all season. The only way in which it was "true to the story" is that it had no connection to anything else, so it couldn't really contradict the story.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
For everyone disappointed that Sylar is alive - don't be so sure. The blood streaks on the ground sure looked like drag marks to me. Maybe the "bigger evil" Molly talked about got to him before the cops got there...
I'm pissed if Sylar is dead. Having such a cool villain die in such a weak way would be really disappointing.
Chuck
___

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 07:28 PM

Eh, I enjoyed it. I was really excited to hear Molly's comments about the guy who can see her; I'm looking forward to seeing him next season. As much as I like Sylar and Peter, they're clearly too powerful to keep around for long. Smallville gets away with an all-powerful character because he's both young and stupid.

Unfortunately, they had to show the shape-shifting girl as her "normal" self so the audience could be sure it was her.

I'm going to join Molly: Parkman can't die.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

krove
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 08:41 PM

I was sure she (shape-shifter) would turn into some fat person. So much for all those hints they gave in the previous episode...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 08:43 PM

Seriously, the show is better when they make us think and piece it together. The "Walker" tracking system was genius. I didn't make the connection to Molly until the previews on that next to last episode. Maybe that was just me, but those sorts of hints really make the show great. The finale, though, offered very little of that and tried to clean up too many story lines too quickly.

And whoever mentioned it: Why did Niki hit Sylar? They had no contact and to my knowledge, she had no contact with Peter, either. WTF?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2007, 08:53 PM

I think that was Nikki's overt demonstration of being a Hero. Also, they needed to give Peter her powers.

My questions are 1) why didn't Peter just fly up on his own? 2) Why didn't Peter stop time or even transport himself to another time? 3) Why didn't Sylar use Eden's voice to accomplish more evil at the end? 4) What ever happened with Claude?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 08:58 PM

I suppose she heard enough of Sylar's monologue to gather that he is an evil guy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 09:10 PM

I think that was Nikki's overt demonstration of being a Hero. Also, they needed to give Peter her powers.

My questions are 1) why didn't Peter just fly up on his own?
Because it took all his effort to contain Ted's powers.

2) Why didn't Peter stop time or even transport himself to another time?
Does Peter have that kind of control over Hiro's powers? Come to think of it, has Peter used Hiro's powers? I vaguely remember him using them near the beginning, but it's been a while.

3) Why didn't Sylar use Eden's voice to accomplish more evil at the end?
Sylar doesn't have Eden's powers. She killed herself before he could take them.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 10:04 PM

I think that was Nikki's overt demonstration of being a Hero.
Psychically detecting that one of these guys needed to be hit with a giant pole?

Also, they needed to give Peter her powers.
Why? He already had four under his control that he wasn't using at all, including the one he was getting owned with at that very moment.

1) why didn't Peter just fly up on his own? 2) Why didn't Peter stop time or even transport himself to another time? 3) Why didn't Sylar use Eden's voice to accomplish more evil at the end? 4) What ever happened with Claude?
1. As Peter said, he couldn't do anything. He had to concentrate on suppressing Ted's power. I'm also not sure Peter has such good control over his flying, since he hasn't done it very often (even when Doctor Who threw him off a building) and usually seems to have more trouble controlling powers than the original owners did.
2. He doesn't know how to do those things. While he probably has absorbed Hiro's power, he hasn't ever used it as far as I can remember.
3. Sylar doesn't have that power. Interestingly, Peter probably does, but it seems he never learned to use it (even in the future).
4. He went into hiding after Mr. Bennet found him (i.e., Christopher Eccleston had other projects lined up). The producers have said they hope to bring him back next season. That should be a good confrontation now that Bennet is at least tentatively on their side.
Chuck
___

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 12:54 AM

Well. Now I'm hooked. I watched one episode a couple months ago, and without the first 14 episodes, I wasn't too sure if I was interested. Thanks to this past weekend, I have watched the first 7 episodes, and now I'm hooked. I need to find episodes 8 thru 23. Twenty-three is the last one right?

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
May 24, 2007, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Well. Now I'm hooked. I watched one episode a couple months ago, and without the first 14 episodes, I wasn't too sure if I was interested. Thanks to this past weekend, I have watched the first 7 episodes, and now I'm hooked. I need to find episodes 8 thru 23. Twenty-three is the last one right?
Best show on TV. And finding those episodes are as ez as tv. Or of course, iTunes and NBC.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2007, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Yep. 23. And I'd recommend iTunes or…y'know, any other distribution medium other than the episodes on NBC's site. Those are free, but the quality is terrible. I tried watching an episode there the other day and wound up just getting frustrated and downloading the episode.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules