Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any one else with these types of Safari problems?

Any one else with these types of Safari problems?
LarsCA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 10:58 AM

Is it just me, my ISP, my AirPort, or is the latest Safari release actually full of bugs? I just upgraded a few days ago and suddenly I am running into all kinds of problems. When trying to load a page, the browser will tell me the web page could not be found. So I try again and again and suddenly it loads just fine.

It also takes longer, much longer, to load pages. And unless a page has finished loading, you can't just click on a link and keep moving. You actually have to hit the "stop loading" button first.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed these kinds of problems? If not, I guess I need to look elsewhere to find the problem, but as things are right now I might just go back to Explorer!

I'm on a TiBook 15", 256MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, and AirPort cable modem.

Hmm... I also started using iChat AV at about the same time. Could that affect my browser in any way? Even when iChat isn't running?

poocat
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 12:22 PM

i don't know exactly, but i've truthfully been having many *more* problems with 1.0 than w/ version 74...

i have to reload pages some times, css is messed up a lot, things are generally flaky, yahoo mail messes up a lot... just strange all around wierdness...

huh.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

renpar61
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 12:29 PM

I've had some of these problems from time to time in the past, having updated every available Safari build.
I don't know if this would fix it for you, but I deleted ALL Safari and Safari related files (only kept the bookmarks file in a safe place). Reinstalled Safari with a stand alone installer (not through software update) and all the problems are gone. It's also fatser than it used to be.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 03:10 PM

I'm getting way too high cpu with 1.0
i look in your general direction

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 08:33 PM

well I ran Safari 1.0 on a machine @ work and all I can say is..
I'm glad I stuck w/ beta 74 and not 1.0.
1.0 is crap and should have never been released as 1.0 or better yet a public beta for that matter.
David messed up the fonts big time trying to copy IE and now we can not even set a minimum font size. Also it looks like they are trying to put in some sort of smooth scroll (gawd! I hate smooth scrolling) and it makes scrolling down pages w/ a mouse wheel a total mess. plus 1.0 just flat out runs slower.
I hope that Apple is not trying to copy IE and allot of things they are doing looks to be that way. IE as a browser sucks and I do not want Safari being some IE wannabe.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 09:14 PM

Running Safari 1.0 without any problems.

If you are having trouble, you might remove and reinstall (as Renpar suggests), or at least repair permissions. You might also consider emptying the Safari cache, quitting and then relaunching.

Chris

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 10:19 PM

Ever since b48, I've had a problem where every once in a while, I'll click on a link and I'll get a 'Could not get any data for this location'. Annoying, but not enough to make me switch.

I've found 1.0 to be really smooth (and I was using all the betas), but like any piece of software it's going to muck up for some people.

Having to manually press stop? I find that clicking on a link forces Safari to immediately stop loading the current page (forcing unloaded images to display a '?') and it immediately loads the next page.

It could be your network - perhaps Safari is sensitive to bad ethernet packets or something(??? not a network expert

Don't go back to IE or you'll really regret it.
Computer thez nohhh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules