Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does the watched order ship slower?

Does the watched order ship slower?
reader50
Administrator
Sep 11, 2012, 09:39 AM

I almost always use the free shipping on Amazon. Patience can save a lot of money in a year.

Sometimes an order ships right away, other times it goes nearly a week. I find myself checking the order status, and wondering if they delay shipments that are checked more frequently. It is a solid indicator of impatience - this customer might upgrade shipping.

Logic suggests observer bias - you check more when it waits longer. But those orders I don't check do seem to ship faster. I'm tempted to sift my order emails, note the delays, and try to remember which ones I watched.

Has anyone noticed a pattern? Not just on Amazon.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2012, 10:37 AM

Paranoia - a sign that you've got too much time too check your shipping order!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

andi*pandi
Sep 11, 2012, 10:38 AM

No, the only pattern is it gets worse the closer to Christmas!

I finally gave in and got Amazon Prime last year to go with the husband's kindle... Last week I ordered a DVD at 10pm using regular Prime free shipping, and it was delivered the next afternoon. Not sure where the closest warehouse to me is, but I was pretty amazed.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2012, 01:40 PM

My understanding is that the speed of super saver shipping is based on Amazon's volume when the order is placed. You trade shipping fees for being lowest priority on order fulfillment. So if they have a lot of paid shipping orders, you are going to wait.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2012, 01:44 PM

I'm pretty sure they intentionally throttle the free shipping items.

I don't have a big problem with this, since it's free.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
My understanding is that the speed of super saver shipping is based on Amazon's volume when the order is placed. You trade shipping fees for being lowest priority on order fulfillment. So if they have a lot of paid shipping orders, you are going to wait.
This. A senior manager with Amazon told me the same thing, almost exactly word for word.

I agree with andi too, Prime is unreal. I'm preaching to the choir, but if you make purchases online with any regularity it's worth every penny.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Sep 12, 2012, 03:05 PM

I don't dispute how the free shipping works. What I'm wondering is if they fiddle the priority a little if the customer logs in to check shipping status. A customer who doesn't look will never upgrade to paid shipping. But a customer who looks may become impatient and pay.

It could work something like this: Start all free ship orders at mid-low queue priority, L3.
- If customer never looks, it stays at L3.
- If customer looks once per day, downgrade priority to L2.
- If customer looks frequently, downgrade priority to lowest: L1.

In all cases, order ships when it gets through the queue. This method would cause a percentage of impatient customers to pay shipping after all, improving the store's bottom line.

This would be a bit hard to catch, since results are unpredictable on any one order. You'd have to catch it using averages, or different customers running the same order on the same day. One watches their order, one doesn't.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm pretty sure they intentionally throttle the free shipping items.
I don't have a big problem with this, since it's free.
Yes. Free shipping is held for an extra few days before it ships.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2012, 08:29 AM

I remember the good old days when free shipping wasn't slow. That was ridonkulous.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 12:11 PM

I dunno. I bought a bunch of stuff off of Amazon and I swear it was shipping as I watched it.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I don't dispute how the free shipping works. What I'm wondering is if they fiddle the priority a little if the customer logs in to check shipping status.
I have had two super saver orders arrive the next day (on one order I did go back to check the status.) I have also had super saver orders take seven days to ship without ever checking status.

Forum Links
Forum Rules