Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Microsoft hates themes too...

Microsoft hates themes too...
goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2002, 12:49 PM

From a XP themes site:

"The theme file formats are not public; Microsoft retains the design control for themes, to allow a consistent user interface and ensure design continuity. A theme developer's kit will not be available with Windows XP."
-- Microsoft

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2002, 01:07 PM

So what was the point of building themes into XP then? Do theme builders have to ask M$ for the tools to do it or just to publish it?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

sadie
Senior User
Feb 7, 2002, 05:19 PM

Are people hacking their own themes into XP anyway, like they are with OS X? Or is the file format just indecipherable?
All words are lies. Including these ones.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2002, 05:37 PM

Just like with OS X, the XP will find a way. I think it's pretty safe to say those who want to already have found a way but I'm not big on XP so I don't actually know.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>Just like with OS X, the XP will find a way. I think it's pretty safe to say those who want to already have found a way but I'm not big on XP so I don't actually know.</STRONG>
Themes have already been hacked on XP. The file format is pretty well known. However, at the moment you have to use an app called StyleXP to allow you to switch to non MS approved themes. In fact I was running an XP version of one of Sines themes before my StyleXP trial period ran out.

markphip
Feb 7, 2002, 09:45 PM

Have you ever seen the Stuff from Stardock? They can pretty much do anything with Windows.

http://www.stardock.com/

Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules