Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question re analog (TV/VCR) inputs on Dell 2005FPW display

Question re analog (TV/VCR) inputs on Dell 2005FPW display
nagromme
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 06:10 PM

I tune (analog) TV through my VCR, so if I get a Dell 20.1" display, I could connect it (via S-Video or composite) and use it as a low-end flat TV sometimes. Normally, of course, you'd get black on the sides (or you can stretch--but I wouldn't).

Questions for anyone who has hooked a VCR to the 2005FPW:

1. Do the Zoom controls (I see them in the online manual) work for S-Video and composite? Or are they like Positioning: only for VGA/DVI?

2. If you CAN zoom, will the zoomed TV image use the whole screen or will you still get black bars left and right?

Basically, for shows broadcast in "fake widescreen" I want to be able to zoom in and get rid of ALL the black bars: the top/bottom ones that are in the broadcast, and the left/right ones that result from using a wide LCD with conventional TV. I know an LCD "real TV" can do that with one touch--but if I can do it manually I'll be happy.

Looked at another way, I'd be zooming the TV input so it filled the screen with no stretching: the top and bottom of the image would be cut off instead. Poor ads! Can it be done?

(FYI, scroll down to the second image here to see Zoom in the Dell's menu)
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ng%20the%20OSD

TIA!

(BTW, I am also curious, for the future, whether I can use this Dell display if I ever got digital cable TV.)
nagromme

vasu
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 10:52 PM

I've got one of these...

You can't do anything like zooming, or have it display with black bars, the video ALWAYS gets stretched to fill.

You've got 3 view options. A small window that takes up maybe 1/5th of the screen (picture in picture mode), a 2-up mode that puts your computer screen on one half, and tv on the other half, and full screen.

You can move the picture in picture box around on the screen, I think you can just pick a corner.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 11:16 PM

The 2005FPW manual online makes it sound like you CAN control whether it stretches or not. It's the Scaling control, under Image Settings. And it works for all they input types, according to the manual. Have you tried that control? (If not, do a Find for "scaling" on the link I posted, and you can see what I'm reading about.)

The manual describes zooming, too, although it's unclear whether that menu item is functional for the video inputs. I hope it is--and I hope that you can use that to fill the screen without stretching (by cutting off the top and bottom).

The PIP and PBP sound cool too though
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules