Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macintel... what's it all about?

Macintel... what's it all about?
tups_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 05:12 PM

Apple is looking ti switch to intel processors and I am looking to switch to a mac . But what will the switch mean in real terms ???

I was thinking of buying a mac mini to go along side my wintel pc which unfortunately I still need and just use a switch box to switch the monitor between the two. Then I heard about this switch to intel processors and how you might be able to run XP on a partition of your mac or even put the Mac os on to a PC!!! I don't know if any of that is true but it does open up some possible options and and many more questions for every one especially for someone thinking of making the switch.

So I just thought I would open this topic up up to any one who is interested. What do you think of intel inside (a mac) and what will it mean for mac users or the mac in general?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 6, 2005, 05:23 PM

Nothing. You need a computer? Go buy it.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 08:31 PM

And if you can wait, you wait.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 08:47 PM

Easy Stuff huh?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 10:11 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 10:53 PM

Late to the party, eh? The beer is bitter.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:50 PM

In real terms? Well, most users will probably never notice on either end until they run into an incompatibility. I'd say the likelyhood of this in the short term (3 years or less) is low.

A few points to sum up previous discussions:
  1. You will still need to buy a Mac to run MacOS.
  2. It's possible, though unknown, that an Intel based Mac will be able to boot Windows. (I believe the official line is that "it will not be actively prevented" or some similarly vague phrase. Take it to mean what you will.)
  3. As far as end-users are concerned, waiting for the switch to Intel CPU's will have little appreciable benefit in the short term. (Though it's still good to be aware.)
  4. Software incompatibilities may crop up, however, it is generally in the developers best interests to maintain compatibility with both CPU architectures.

I suggest that, if you intend on buying a lower end machine (like an iMac or Mac mini) or are on an otherwise rapid upgrade cycle (you expect to replace the computer in 3 years or less), to not worry about waiting and just buy it now. By the time software issues begin to be a hinderance, it will probably be time to replace the machine anyway.

If you intend to buy a machine and keep it for an extended period of time before replacing it (let's say, longer than 5 years), then I would suggest waiting if you can. It's an extended wait at this point, but in the long run, your computer will be sure to be supported.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 08:31 PM

In other words, this won't happen:

i bought a brand spnaking new powre MAC the dya the announcemnet was made1!!!2 its already obseolet!!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by tups_
Apple is looking ti switch to intel processors and I am looking to switch to a mac . But what will the switch mean in real terms ???

I was thinking of buying a mac mini to go along side my wintel pc which unfortunately I still need and just use a switch box to switch the monitor between the two. Then I heard about this switch to intel processors and how you might be able to run XP on a partition of your mac or even put the Mac os on to a PC!!! I don't know if any of that is true but it does open up some possible options and and many more questions for every one especially for someone thinking of making the switch.

So I just thought I would open this topic up up to any one who is interested. What do you think of intel inside (a mac) and what will it mean for mac users or the mac in general?
First, do a search (please). Second, it boils down to what you want. If you want a computer now, buy it. If not, wait. It's that simple.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 10:30 PM

wow...i thought mactel was...well..meh...but macintel sounds better...first time i've seen that

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
wow...i thought mactel was...well..meh...but macintel sounds better...first time i've seen that

sounds like macintosh me thinks
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules