Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro's Lack of IR Port & Front Row.

Mac Pro's Lack of IR Port & Front Row.
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:24 PM

Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a Mac Pro, and there's only one thing holding me back from buying this sweet machine:

There's no IR port.

No Front Row I can handle, because it's coming in Leopard. But how are we supposed to use the Apple Remote (or Apple Remote 2.0) with this machine? It was something I was planning on extensively using.

I don't imagine it could have been hard to add a small IR receiver on the front in addition to all the ports. Do you think it'll be built into new displays? If so, it's a big enough deal to me that I'd be willing to wait for new displays....

Your thoughts?
Linkinus is king.

Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:29 PM

usb

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:35 PM

Although I would consider it less elegant than a built-in option, I'm perfectly willing to accept an IR USB input instead. Do any exist?
Linkinus is king.

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 09:48 PM

Here's a useful link for exactly what I think you're trying to do:

How To Install Appleā€™s Front Row 1.2.2

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:52 PM

Hm. I was hoping to just get the IR receiver part and buy the Apple remote.
Linkinus is king.

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:52 PM

This isn't a media center machine. It's a professional high-end machine.

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:55 PM

I don't see why it can't be both. The only reason I can imagine that the Mac Pro would not have an IR port is that it's frequently used under desks, etc, making the line of sight difficult to achieve. That's why it would make more sense on an ACD.
( Last edited by brokenjago; Sep 8, 2006 at 10:20 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 10:07 PM

What about the possibility that Apple will include an IR receiver in their new line of ACDs?

Anyone think that might happen?
Linkinus is king.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:31 PM

The ACDs were just updated when they introduced the Mac Pro, so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 11:39 PM

I wouldn't call that an update; the prices were dropped and the contrast was raised and the response time was lowered by an average of 2ms.

I mean an update that includes revisions to the design, or a completely new design.
Linkinus is king.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Hm. I was hoping to just get the IR receiver part and buy the Apple remote.
I was thinking the same thing. Would you have any idea where the part can be purchased?

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
This isn't a media center machine. It's a professional high-end machine.
I'm sure lots of professionals would appreciate Front Row and the convenience of a remote.

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
I'm sure lots of professionals would appreciate Front Row and the convenience of a remote.
Agreed. Professionals don't need to have their professional hat on 24/7.
Originally Posted by chefpastry
I was thinking the same thing. Would you have any idea where the part can be purchased?
I wish. That's why I'm asking people here.

Edit: Woo, 500 posts!
Linkinus is king.

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 12:07 AM

You guys mean something like this?: USB-2550 Keyspan Keyspan Digital Media Remote Control (USB - IRDA)

Aside from the above, what do you want the IrDA adapter for exactly? Solely so you can use Apple's Remote? For Front Row?

If you just want to get Front Row + Remote onto a Power Mac or the Mac Pro, seriously check out the earlier link I posted. Again: How To Install Appleā€™s Front Row 1.2.2. It includes instructions on installing Front Row and info on a Rf Remote specifically designed to be used with Front Row. You can buy that here: Rf Remote Front Row Mac Only

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2006, 01:04 AM

Here's something that's expensive, but claims to work with the Apple Remote:

Elgato Systems

Unfortunately, I can't figure out whether it actually lets the Apple Remote work with the IR receiver on the device itself, or whether "Works with Apple Remote" just means that it plugs into the standard Front Row interface when you activate it by using the remote with the built-in IR receiver. If the latter, then this wouldn't be useful to you.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2006, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Here's something that's expensive, but claims to work with the Apple Remote:

Elgato Systems

Unfortunately, I can't figure out whether it actually lets the Apple Remote work with the IR receiver on the device itself, or whether "Works with Apple Remote" just means that it plugs into the standard Front Row interface when you activate it by using the remote with the built-in IR receiver. If the latter, then this wouldn't be useful to you.
I think that it just means that you can use the Apple Remote to control it's features. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have an IR port.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2006, 05:02 AM

No, it definitely has an IR port.

Originally Posted by http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/444
Does EyeTV Hybrid include an IR remote control?

EyeTV Hybrid does not come with a bundled remote, but it does have an IR receiver.

It can work with the Apple Remote bundled with new Macs, and with remotes included with other EyeTV products.

Separate EyeTV remotes may be available soon from our online store, to use with EyeTV Hybrid, if desired.
It can use the normal EyeTV remote, not just the Apple remote. The only question is whether it can use its own IR receiver with the Apple remote, or if its receiver is just for other remotes.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2006, 07:09 AM

The Keyspan DMR works fine for Front Row.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2006, 11:24 PM

I use the ATI remote wonder remote control that I bought years ago with front row on my MDD. It works fine for me and the remote is RF so no nonsense about line of sight. I think it was $30 and the drivers are actually good. I have every button doing another function in each application.

the last pic is the remote wonder II I think.
Amazon.com: Dell Only Ati Remote Wonder: Electronics
the dell only is also confusing and makes no sense.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 12:22 AM

Aside from the above, what do you want the IrDA adapter for exactly? Solely so you can use Apple's Remote? For Front Row?
Call me a weirdo (seriously many do ,) but all I want is an IR receiver to use Apple's Remote.
Linkinus is king.

idyll
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 02:20 AM

I really doubt that Apple is going to include these things in their new updated displays as people have been saying, for imagine how annoying that would be if you had a macbook pro (for example) with an isight and a display with an isight too

i want the same thing as you brokenjago. im kind of disappointed it isnt included with the mac pro, especially considering that a macbook pro is a laptop / portable machine.. doesn't make sense why you would need a remote for that. while a mac pro is a desktop that stays in one place

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2006, 04:14 AM

Because this way when Apple ends up introducing a mid-range mini-tower (please...), the iMac can have the built-in iSight / Front Row stuff as its "gimmick" over the mini-tower.

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul
Here's a useful link for exactly what I think you're trying to do:

How To Install Appleā€™s Front Row 1.2.2
The How To actually put in bold that DO NOT use it on intel mac. Do Not use it on Mac Pro.

Anyone dare to try it on their Mac Pro?
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 10, 2006, 09:59 PM

Oops. I must have missed that in my excitement. I'll continue to look into it.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2006, 11:23 PM

If it's a remote for Front Row you're looking for... Look no further! I've got this on my G5 Quad and it works great with Front Row enabler! Here's the link for the remote.

Keyspan | RF Remote For Front Row

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 12:41 AM

As stated previously, I just want a small IR USB adapter so I can use the Apple remote with Front Row, which should be included with Leopard.
Linkinus is king.

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 01:00 AM

Well, I hear that the next iPods will double as a Bluetooth remote for the all new Front Row 2.0... and it can stream 1080p HD video and Apple Lossless music right to your Mac. And it can take phone calls, too. Your IR remote will be obsolete.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by himself
Well, I hear that the next iPods will double as a Bluetooth remote for the all new Front Row 2.0... and it can stream 1080p HD video and Apple Lossless music right to your Mac. And it can take phone calls, too. Your IR remote will be obsolete.
Can it slice bread too?

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 02:34 AM

How is FrontRow useful for you guys? Just curious. I've played around with it on my iMac for awhile when I first received the iMac, but that was it. It seemed like a neat toy, but I didn't have a use for it.

FrontRow would be cool once a Mac Mini DVR is released (if ever).

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2006, 02:39 AM

it's nice if you watch alot of videos on your mac.
I'm using Griffin Airclick USB as my remote at the moment

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2006, 04:18 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 12:07 AM

Well, I watch a ton of movies and shows on my computer, and I've always wanted to be able to watch them from the comfort of my bed, without having to get up and change whatever I wanted to be changed. I figured front row would be perfect for this.

Salling Clicker seems cool, too bad I don't have a cellphone.
Linkinus is king.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 04:28 AM

Well, I watch a ton of movies and shows on my computer, and I've always wanted to be able to watch them from the comfort of my bed, without having to get up and change whatever I wanted to be changed. I figured front row would be perfect for this.

Salling Clicker seems cool, too bad I don't have a cellphone.

Which century are you from again?

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 06:08 PM

I don't have a TV, I don't want a TV, and I don't watch television.

And I'll be getting a Cellphone soon enough, but still. I want to use the Apple Remote!
Linkinus is king.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 03:07 AM

I was disappointed when I noticed, and checked, the optional front row install from my MacPro install DVD... only to find out that it doesn't do anything, or was killed with that first software update.

Hey Apple how about that bluetooth remote your working on? I'll be happy to help with the testing. I have quite a few songs and I enjoy watching movie trailers. In fact while your sending me that you might as well send me one of those iTV things, I could help there too. :-)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 04:43 AM

I don't have a TV, I don't want a TV, and I don't watch television.
Me neither buddy. But cellphone?

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 08:09 PM

I hate current cellphones. They're ugly, they're hard to use, the buttons are hard to press, and everything about them is inelegant.

The only cellphone I've ever seriously considered buying is the KickFlip from Helio. Now there's a phone - stylish, easy to use, powerful, and the buttons are nice and big.

I was about to buy one when BLAM! They have no BlueTooth. LAME!! I want BlueTooth!

Guess I'll be waiting for the iPhone.
Linkinus is king.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -

Which century are you from again?

I don't have a cellphone either. It's bad enough the house phone rings off th hook due to telemarketters, why do I need to be contacted anywhere I go. I never really saw the advantages of having a cell phone. If I'm going out, I'm out, they can leave a message and I'll get back to them. Why do people have to be in constant contact with the world. It seems people talk non-stop on their phone nowadays.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard
I don't have a cellphone either. It's bad enough the house phone rings off th hook due to telemarketters, why do I need to be contacted anywhere I go. I never really saw the advantages of having a cell phone. If I'm going out, I'm out, they can leave a message and I'll get back to them. Why do people have to be in constant contact with the world. It seems people talk non-stop on their phone nowadays.
Your advantage is right in what you are saying. Telemarketers calls your house phone, not your cell phone. With a cell phone you are also in control of when you want to be contacted at all. Turn it off and people go straight to message bank.

Getting rid of my house phone was the best thing I ever did (way back in 2000). Besides, do you call people or do you call houses? When you think about it the only people who need to phone houses (non-specific person) is a telemarketer/survey.

someone
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 05:16 AM

Front Row Enabler doesn't work on the Mac Pro? wtf?
someone who loves Macs

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 07:50 AM

Generally it doesnt work on intel mac (non-UB). Maybe most of the intel mac has IR + Remote bundle (except the low end imac, edu imac & Mac Pro).

Maybe Steve expect everyone that has a Mac Pro and want Frontrow feature to buy a iTV next year.

draizor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 08:00 AM

Well I suspect that when Leopard is out, Apple will release some kind of usb connectible IR device with the frontrow remote to accomodate those macs that are left out at the moment : I swear, sometimes I can hear my macpro sobbing at night! It's sad I'm telling you...
[FONT="Tahoma"]Mac Pro 2.66Ghz, 2GB, 150GB Raptor, 250/500GB Drives, x1900XT, Airport/Bluetooth 2.0+EDR -->IT'S ALIVE!!!
Dell 24'' Ultrasharp
iMac G4 1Ghz 1GB 80GB Broken for now
Sony Vaio 2,2GHZ 1GB 250GB Drive
iPod 3G 40GB
iPod 5G w/ Video 60GB White NOW WITH GAMES
[/FONT]

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 11:43 AM

I too want Front Row and the Apple Remote on a Mac Pro. Not some less-elegant, less-integated solution, not some other remote that's more complex, or thicker, or won't work with iPods, or needs an extra dongle or more cable clutter. I really like the the Apple Remote. And I like Front Row too. iTunes is my stereo, DVD Player is my, well, DVD player, and I give iPhoto slideshows too. Soon I will be watching TV shows on iTunes thanks to the new 640x480 quality (1.99 per show is cheaper than cable for me). All of this would work great with Front Row. Plus I want to get EyeTV Hybrid, which has no remote included but works with Apple's. And I think MANY high-end Mac users do things like give presentations (iPhoto, PowerPoint, Keynote) and play DVDs or music--even if the Mac is only used at work, and many Mac towers are high-end home users, gamers, freelancers who don't work 24/7, etc.

So the lack of Apple Remote on the Pro is ONE factor (along with price and portability and iSight) making me consider canceling my Mac Pro plans and "settling" for an iMac 24.

I also have no cell phone yet Not worth the price, for the hassle my cell-phone friends deal with.

I also have no cable or satellite TV Way too expensive for the handful of shows I would watch. I will save a TON of money by buying those shows (Galactica, Daily Show) on iTunes even if I never planned to own them. I would have to watch an hour of cable a day, ALL year (weekends and summer-rerun season too) to make it cost less than iTunes. And I have no desire to do so, not on top of the free programming (like Lost and Simpsons) that I already watch, plus Netflix.

And soon I will have no TV at all, if I get a new Mac + EyeTV Hybrid.

But I will still have running water
nagromme

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by nagromme
I too want Front Row and the Apple Remote on a Mac Pro. Not some less-elegant, less-integated solution, not some other remote that's more complex, or thicker, or won't work with iPods, or needs an extra dongle or more cable clutter. I really like the the Apple Remote. And I like Front Row too. iTunes is my stereo, DVD Player is my, well, DVD player, and I give iPhoto slideshows too. Soon I will be watching TV shows on iTunes thanks to the new 640x480 quality (1.99 per show is cheaper than cable for me). All of this would work great with Front Row. Plus I want to get EyeTV Hybrid, which has no remote included but works with Apple's. And I think MANY high-end Mac users do things like give presentations (iPhoto, PowerPoint, Keynote) and play DVDs or music--even if the Mac is only used at work, and many Mac towers are high-end home users, gamers, freelancers who don't work 24/7, etc.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't mind the non-integration of the iSight, because I can just buy one and clip it to my display. It's the Lack of a built-in IR port that bothers me...

Linkinus is king.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2006, 09:44 PM

As far as I know, the IR receivers in the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are connected via USB. I'm pretty sure it isn't too difficult to jury-rig the IR receiver from a MacBook or MacBook Pro in to a Mac Pro and hide it internally behind the front of the case. Since the front of the case has all the holes, it shouldn't impede on the reception too much.

The only questions are... (1) Where can we order the IR receiver? and (2) How do we get Front Row installed on a Mac Pro?

I'm assuming that the drivers are already part of OS X.

mkerr64
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 10:08 PM

I TRIED USING THE USING ENABLER AND CAME UP WITH AN ERROR BUT BELOW IT SAYS ......
IS THIS GOING TO HARM MY COMPUTER????!@!@!@!@!@!@!

http://andrewescobar.com/frontrow

it spacificly says "Do not use Enabler with Intel based Macs, such as the MacBook or Mac Pro. Using Enabler with with an Intel Mac will damage your Mac OS X system files."

then how are you sepose to get front row???

R.I.P Steve Jobs

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2006, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by wei
The How To actually put in bold that DO NOT use it on intel mac. Do Not use it on Mac Pro.

Anyone dare to try it on their Mac Pro?
Originally Posted by mkerr64
I TRIED USING THE USING ENABLER AND CAME UP WITH AN ERROR BUT BELOW IT SAYS ......
IS THIS GOING TO HARM MY COMPUTER????!@!@!@!@!@!@!
*snip*
wow, you actually went and try it.

I doubt Leopard will be the answer. I have tried it on a G5 Dual and I couldnt find the frontrow, much like current Tiger, if your Mac doesn't have the built in IR, it wont activate.

Once I get my Mac Pro, I will run the beta and try connect an IR USB dongle and see. That should 1-2weeks to go.

mkerr64
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 01:17 PM

so is this going to harm it????
so far it works the same
R.I.P Steve Jobs

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2006, 12:25 AM

did u actually manage to install and run the frontrow with the enabler???

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 01:02 AM

I for one love the integrated remote and front row on my iMac.. kinda lame that my 5X as expensive MacPro doesn't have it!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules