Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Getting my new iMac tomorrow!

Getting my new iMac tomorrow!
mrtaxman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 12:01 AM

With the following configuration:

* Processor 0656777 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* Graphics Memory 0656798 256MB VRAM
* Memory 0656637 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM 2x1GB
* Hard Drive 0656638 500GB Serial ATA Drive

I have never owned an Apple before, and was wondering if there was anything special I need to do about security issues? I plan on using my router as my firewall, but what about anti-virus and spyware software? I don’t want unnecessary software bogging down my system, but I know as Apple’s popularity increases so will the attacks. I’m thinking about using Iphantom, and leaving the security issues to them, so I can enjoy my new computer without worring about; Worms, Trojan Horses, Viruses, Spyware, Hacking, and God knows what else! Any thoughts?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrtaxman
I have never owned an Apple before, and was wondering if there was anything special I need to do about security issues? I plan on using my router as my firewall, but what about anti-virus and spyware software? I don’t want unnecessary software bogging down my system, but I know as Apple’s popularity increases so will the attacks. I’m thinking about using Iphantom, and leaving the security issues to them, so I can enjoy my new computer without worring about; Worms, Trojan Horses, Viruses, Spyware, Hacking, and God knows what else! Any thoughts?
Nothing to worry about at this point. It is however advisable to play safe as much as you can. I mean, hiding the computer behind a router is a first step. If the connection is wireless, apart password protection, you can enable protection at hardware level (based on the identity of your wireless card). Enable also the (software) firewall that Mac OS X has built-in and don't enable any service unless you know what you are doing (they are off by default). And finally, create a test account if you intend to have network activity that would expose your home directory to data loss.

As for viruses etc. in the way we know them from the Windows side, there is nothing at this moment for the Macintosh. There were some proofs of concept in the past that were dealt with the appropriate patches but never something out in the wild. But again, this does not mean that you should not apply general safety guides, like the ones I explained above.

EDIT: things I forgot in what I consider basic safety rules: for your daily work and activity, create a normal user account (that is a non-admin account), so that you are sure you cannot do inadvertently harm to your system. Second, never ever give your admin password when asked by some program, unless it is something you do expect and need (for example, there are still installers that do that).
( Last edited by Pierre B.; Sep 18, 2006 at 04:17 AM. )

mrtaxman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 11:01 AM

Thank you Pierre B. It's nice to know that I can enjoy my new Apple without being a security expert!

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 09:42 PM

You should DEFINITELY GET ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE FOR YOUR MAC.

That is, once there IS a virus in the wild, and one without an easy way to block it. So... don't bother for now Rest assured, when and if there ever is a REAL virus threat for Mac OS X, the media will go wild and you will know about it. (They go wild over false alarms as it is!) So don't worry

But to protect yourself for the future from Trojan Horses, I recommend one simple thing: download software only from trusted sources that have had many download ahead of you to verify that nothing is fishy.

If you hear about a cool app, find it on one of these sites to make sure it's legit:

http://versiontracker.com

http://macupdate.com

http://macgamefiles.com

And welcome!
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules