Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any way to use an iMac as a display only?

Any way to use an iMac as a display only?
zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 10:00 AM

My sister has a 20" iMac that is DOA (the display is fine) the unit just shuts down every few hours and is no fun to use, Apple says it needs a new logic board and wants almost $1000 to repair, we don't want to drop $1K on a old G5 system so perhaps she can get a new core duo mini and hook it up to the imacs display, is that possible in any way?

Any other ideas?

p.s. She has been thru every repair extension program and on the phone and in store with apple, this is how this computer is going to stay unless she finds $1K LOL

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 01:06 PM

Sorry there is no way to use it as a monitor.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 07:44 PM

I would say someone could custom rig power and video cabling for you, but it would not be a simple hack.

Maybe eBay it to someone who has a good iMac with a bad screen?
nagromme

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 08:24 PM

umm, doesnt DOA mean dead on arrival? meaning that her system is brand new? that was confusing to me.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 08:35 PM

Yeah sorry about the DOA! In a final attempt I took it to the Apple store this morning, got someone nice this time and he tried the power supply, bam working 100% now!! My sister is soooo happy and it was 100% covered under warranty.

If you ever get denied service it pays off to go back when someone will work with you!

Thanks Apple, this is a great day!

p.s. the Wellington Florida apple store geniuses were asses and wouldn't even look at it saying it wasn''t covered, blah blah, so I am super stoked at the newer Apple store and its actually a little closer.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2006, 09:05 PM

That's awesome! I'm glad you got it fixed. Isn't it wierd how at one Apple Store the Genuis can be a jerk, but at the other they can be awesome?

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 09:44 PM

I recommend calling Apple first--get your solution all worked out in advance, and go the Apple Store WITH your case number. They can look it up and verify that you've been promised a solution. Any arguing or pleading can be done in advance without making a trip
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules