Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My 24" imac just died

My 24" imac just died
jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 04:27 PM

Just working on my new 24" imac and all of a sudden it turned off. No dialog. Now warning. A random shut down just like I'm about to send my Macbook back for.

I tried restarting with all ports disconnected and power cable plugged directly into wall. Nothing. No whir. No fan. No dvd drive noise. No hard disk spin up. Dead as a brick. Apple's discussions are down right now, but any suggestions?


Sep 24, 2006, 04:30 PM

Take it into an Apple Store or call AppleCare... it sounds as dead as a rock.
-

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 04:33 PM

I think I'll wait and see if anything turns up on this forum. Can't call applecare until tomorrow anyway.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 04:34 PM

Strange... I wonder what the odds are of having two dead systems in such a short period of time.

Question: How old is your house and how do you connect to the internet?

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Strange... I wonder what the odds are of having two dead systems in such a short period of time.

Question: How old is your house and how do you connect to the internet?
1970ish and I connect with a cable modem. This machine was hooked up to an Eveready UPS and internet was via Airport. No direct ethernet connection.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 04:49 PM

I would try another outlet.

Also, can you smell burned plastic? It's very odd that you aren't getting anything. I would say "to go the Apple Store" but that's a long drive from Hershey.

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I would try another outlet.

Also, can you smell burned plastic? It's very odd that you aren't getting anything. I would say "to go the Apple Store" but that's a long drive from Hershey.
I tried another outlet and re-seated the Apple-installed RAM just for grins. Nothing. All the other peripherals continued working fine when the iMac turned off, so I don't think it was a power-surge sort of thing.

It is a long drive to King of Prussia from Hershey so I'll likely being doing this via FedEx.

What's funny is that I bought the iMac so I wouldn't be without a Mac while I sent my MacBook back in for and RSD repair. Guess I'll have to use my Dell, now....

uicandrew
Senior User
Sep 24, 2006, 05:04 PM

unfortunately, there is no "mail-in' service for imacs. I tried to get them to send me a box when my 20" intel imac needed some work. but they told me no mail-in service, despite that the closest Apple store is roughly 2.5 hours away from me.

i ended up taking it to an authorized apple service provider.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
unfortunately, there is no "mail-in' service for imacs. I tried to get them to send me a box when my 20" intel imac needed some work. but they told me no mail-in service, despite that the closest Apple store is roughly 2.5 hours away from me.

i ended up taking it to an authorized apple service provider.
Thanks for that info. It turns out there is an apple repair center near Harrisburg. Maybe I'll take both machines there.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 05:41 PM

Sounds like a blown logic board to me. I've had that happen to me before, but it was on my brand new Quadra 650 (true Mac fans will know that one) .

Anyways, it sucks but it happens. Hopefully Apple will replace it quickly for you.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 06:01 PM

Check the plug on the back of the monitor. Mine came lose once. Pull it out and snap it back in.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 06:39 PM

Could be a bad power supply. Send it back.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Noscito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:41 AM

God, I hope this is not going to be a common iMac 24" flaw *shivers*
( Last edited by Noscito; Sep 25, 2006 at 12:00 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.16 C2D 2GB RAM 500 GB HD 7600GT

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Noscito
God, I hope this is not going to be a common iMac 24" flaw *shivers*
I highly doubt that. This sort of thing happens with every single model of computer ever made. Sometimes they just die, even if they are brand new. If it was a common problem we would've heard more about it by now.

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I highly doubt that. This sort of thing happens with every single model of computer ever made. Sometimes they just die, even if they are brand new. If it was a common problem we would've heard more about it by now.
Perhaps. But what are the odds of two new Intel macs having to be returned. Smells like a quality issue to me.

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 06:19 PM

Any failure is a quality issue. And VERY frustrating.

But luckily Apple has fewer such quality issues than any other PC maker. And luckily we have forums like these to post in for help

As for two machines having failures--they are very different models made from different components, so there's no connection. It's just bad luck. It happens
nagromme

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2006, 04:08 PM

Verdict is on: bad logic board

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 27, 2006, 04:10 PM

That sucks. How long until you're up and running again?
nagromme

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jclarkv
Verdict is on: bad logic board
I feel for ya man. Its a terrible thing to have waited a long time to get a new Mac, anticipation is high and then you finally get it, unpack it (which is a great experience) and get it all set up only to have it just die on you for no real reason.

At least Apple's customer service is usually top notch, so here's to hoping you get a new one real soon. Good luck!

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 11:44 PM

you know it angers me! I mean the amount of people around here that don't know a thing (and still, they think they do!?) Grow up people! post things to help the user! DO NOT POST CRAP TO HELP YOUR RANKING! I made this mistake myself with Spymac.com back in 2001. I was a top 15 poster and I thought that was great... Didn't have anything good to say though. PLEASE! Keep your comments legit and to the subject! (not that I am towards solving his/her iMac problem) Thank You! Claughery
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 01:51 AM

I'm sorry folks, but Apple's quality control has gone into the toilet. I just wouldn't buy anything over a Mini at this point from them, those are built to perfection
iMac G4 / Macbook

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by claughery
you know it angers me! I mean the amount of people around here that don't know a thing (and still, they think they do!?) Grow up people! post things to help the user! DO NOT POST CRAP TO HELP YOUR RANKING! I made this mistake myself with Spymac.com back in 2001. I was a top 15 poster and I thought that was great... Didn't have anything good to say though. PLEASE! Keep your comments legit and to the subject! (not that I am towards solving his/her iMac problem) Thank You! Claughery
Huh?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
I'm sorry folks, but Apple's quality control has gone into the toilet. I just wouldn't buy anything over a Mini at this point from them, those are built to perfection
Say what??

Chinasaur
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 07:46 PM

This thread is rapidly degenerating into inanity

And anyone who has TWO new macs die is either very unlucky, or has something bad wrong with his house wiring..or something. I doubut it's the former.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur
And anyone who has TWO new macs die is either very unlucky, or has something bad wrong with his house wiring..or something. I doubut it's the former.
And I can assure you it's not the latter. Both computers have only ever gotten their power from a line conditioning, surge suppressing UPS.

I'm relieved that there are not more reports of similar failures, making me think that mine is an isolated case (unlike the Macbook random shutdown problem). In the mean time, my 24" iMac lays disassembled, waiting for a back-ordered logic board. I am NEVER buying another CTO Apple product again--strictly stock so I can take the damn thing back if it hiccups.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 09:14 PM

I think it is safe to say Apple and Intel working together has had its share of hiccups. Once over the growing pains Apple will have rock solid build quality again.
iMac G4 / Macbook


Sep 28, 2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by claughery
What on earth are you talking about? Anyway, my 24" iMac is doing fine right now, I haven't really heard of this happening yet, but they are still a bit too new on the market to tell. Hope it turns out ok.
-

Forum Links
Forum Rules