Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Web Folders in Windows, WebDAV, OS 9, iDisk, history

Web Folders in Windows, WebDAV, OS 9, iDisk, history
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2002, 12:47 AM

Hi,

This never occurred to me, but I guess since Web Folders have been in Windows since 98 (I believe), and iDisk also works in OS 9 (and possibly earlier versions), WebDAV is not a new thing.

Anybody know just how old WebDAV is, who was responsible for this technology (Microsoft?), and why myself and I'm assuming many other people weren't even aware of it until the whole iDisk thing (and especially OS X)?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 07:01 PM

WebDAV has been around a long time. It started as an open standard, and still is, though players such as Microsoft, Novell, and Xerox have been involved in its development. Like many standards, it's been slow to catch on in some areas, but its use is spreading ever faster as more people and more companies jump on the bandwagon. Probably one of the key factors affecting its increasing popularity is mod_dav for Apache -- before then, WebDAV servers tended to be proprietary or academic projects. For more general info about WebDAV, see http://www.webdav.org.

iDisk in OS 9 (and in Mac OS X 10.0.x) uses AFP (aka AppleShare), not WebDAV.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

eep!
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 07:32 PM

didn't idisk switch to webdav in 10.1?
and if you install ie 5 on win95 or nt4 they too can use webdav!

Forum Links
Forum Rules